FORTY ONE

The One That Got Away

On our fourth night in Jeju, we attend Hyukjae Oppa’s friend’s wedding in a five-star hotel not very far from the one we’re staying in. Tens of expensive cars are already lining up at the lobby when we arrive. We come here with separated cars; Hyukjae Oppa and I in one car, Donghae drives his own, while Daeyoung Oppa drives his black BMW with Jinhee.

I wonder why Daeyoung Oppa insists Jinhee to come along, though. Since Jinhee didn’t attend the same high school with us, I don’t think she even knows who the groom or the bride is. And I can’t just ignore the perpetual blush that appears on her cheeks every time we talk about my brother. I’ve tried to sneak some infromation about it to her for a few times but she kept making her way to avoid the conversation. Well, maybe I should investigate that later.

When it’s our turn to step out of the car, Hyukjae Oppa steps on the break and the car halts softly. Two valets in black suits approach us to open our doors, helping us to climb out of the car. Hyukjae Oppa rounds the car and walks toward me before he hands the car keys to one of the valets.

“Good evening, Sir, Ma’am.” One of the valets bows to us. Hyukjae Oppa nods. “Name of?”

“Lee Hyukjae. LJS Corp.” Hyukjae Oppa says. The man glances at the list of names on a paper before him, before bowing once again, much more politely than before.

“Ah, President Lee.” He smiles widely, giving a nod to the other valet that Hyukjae Oppa handed his keys to before. The other valet climbs into the driver’s seat of Hyukjae Oppa’s car and drives off. The man in front of us talks into his earpiece briefly before returning his attention to us. “Please follow me, Sir, Ma’am.”

As the man walks off to lead us into the ballroom, Hyukjae Oppa takes my hand with a smile that never fails to make me weak at the knees. I glance back to see Donghae talking with another valet. A tall, blonde girl is standing beside him as his date of the night. I don’t even know who she is, but I think she’s a Chinese-American or something. Behind Donghae are Daeyoung Oppa and Jinhee, her arm linked in his with that very apparent reddish color in her face. How obvious. I giggle at that.

Hyukjae Oppa raises an eyebrow and smiles. “What’s so amusing?”

“I think there’s something between Daeyoung Oppa and Jinhee.” I nod at their direction, but Hyukjae Oppa keeps his eyes on me. He leans down and whispers in my ear.

“I think you look breathtaking tonight.”

My face heat up quickly. “I think that was the third time you said that to me tonight.”

He grins. “I think I can’t help it.”

I giggle again, receiving a peck on the cheek from him before we are seated at the round, reserved table at one side of the ballroom. The black suited man that led us in bows again before he walks off, probably to fetch the other guests to fill up the other reserved tables around us.

As Donghae, Dayeoung Oppa, and Jinhee sit at our table, I travel my eyes around. It’s like some kind of school reunion here. There are so many familiar faces around – the older versions of our high school peers – and I can feel the glances they cast in our direction.

A group of girls are giggling as they steal glances, their eyes gleaming with delight. I don’t think they’re swooning over my satin dress or drooling at the glasses of champagne on our table, so it must be the three guys that occupy our table. I know some things just don’t change.

I glance at Jinhee who seems uncomfortable with the girls’ interest on the guys. I shrug and once again send her a message through my eyes; this is how I went through my teenage years.

Not five minutes later, a group of guys whom I recognize as Hyukjae Oppa’s basketball team mates from high school come up to us. Hyukjae Oppa introduces me to his old friends who some of them were apparently his business partners now. One of them even had a project with LJS’s branch in Seattle.

The conversation is light and fun. Hyukjae Oppa looks carefree, and a radiant smile appears on his face as he introduces me as his girlfriend. The guys make some silly catcalls that I have to fake coughs for a few times to hide my embarrassment. Some of them are surprised that we’re still together – they must be thinking that these past 6 years we’ve never been separated – while some others are more surprised that we haven’t gotten married yet.

I feel my laughter fade. The subject is there again, and my stomach starts doing flip flops. Uneasiness sweeps through me. I glance up at Hyukjae Oppa, noting that he looks just as nervous as I am. Marriage. This topic has been a sensitive one for us for the past three days.

Feeling my stare on the side of his head, Hyukjae Oppa looks at me and squeezes my hand. “You okay, baby?” he whispers slowly to me.

I look into his eyes. I have the need to ask him the exactly same question, but I don’t. I know he’s going to smile and tell me he’s okay even though I know he’s not. My heart clench as I squeeze back his hand.

“I just need to go to the restroom.”

Hyukjae Oppa nods as he leans closer to kiss my temple gently. “I’ll wait here.”

I give him a small smile as he releases my hand. Jinhee looks up from her rather animated conversation with Daeyoung Oppa, noticing my hurried pace to the doors of the ballroom. I nod and give her the sign that I’m alright, continuing my way to the restroom. I just really need to be alone. I need to think things through now.

The restroom looks clean and classy. The walls are covered in marble tiles and there are so many large mirrors everywhere. As I stare at my reflection on the mirror above the sink, my mind rolls back to the incident three days ago.

 

Three days before

After having asleep for hours at the beach, I found myself scooped up in Hyukjae Oppa’s arms. We were in a basement parking lot of what I thought the hotel that we were supposed to be staying in, his car not very far from us as he walked to the door that would lead us to the lobby. He’s carrying me bridal style. I squirm in his arms.

“Oppa?”

Hyukjae Oppa glanced down at me, looking as if he were snapped out of his thoughts. “Oh, you’re awake?”

I nodded sleepily. “How long have I been asleep?”

He grinned. “Long enough to let me watch you sleep.”

I could tell the blush had crept up to my ears. “Why didn’t you wake me up?”

“Uh, because I want to watch you sleep? As creepy as that sounds...” Hyukjae Oppa shrugged and casually continued walking to the lobby with me in his arms. The lobby where people could pass by and catch the sight of a guy carrying a girl in his arms when the girl is fully awake and not even disabled.

I started squirming again in his arms.

“What?” Hyukjae Oppa asked.

“Put me down.”

He smirked. “Why should I?”

I frown. “Because I’m awake now.”

“And?”

“People could be looking.”

Hyukjae Oppa craned his neck and pretended like he was looking at the whole lobby. He smiled with mock reassurance to me. “Not that many people. There are just two bell-boys, a valet, a receptionist, a girl and her family sitting on the couch holding what looks like a small Persian cat and- wait, this is a five-star hotel, why would they let a pet in?”

He was starting to get distracted –or trying to distract me.

“Oppa, just put me down.” I hissed, irritated.

“Whoa there. Be patient a bit, baby. We’re getting near to the recept-”

“Oppa, put me down!”

“I’ll put you down. In your room. But we need to talk to the receptionist first, check in, and get the keys to our rooms. We’re getting there now-”

“Oppa, put me down! It’s so embarrass-”

“Ssh! You’re attracting attentions here.” Hyukjae Oppa whispers.

I knew the night was so beautiful before – we were talking about things and all on the beach after the revelation until we fell asleep there – but now I was this close to smacking his head. I forgot how annoyingly playful he was. I made a face at him.

“Yes we are attracting attentions here. So why don’t you just put me-” a loud cough interrupted.

“Good evening- uh, morning, Sir.” A female voice greeted rather confusedly, be it because she saw a weird, bickering couple where the guy was shamelessly carrying the girl bridal style, or because it was two hours past midnight now. Either way, I wanted to slap a hand to my face. It was so embarrassing.

“Reservation for Mr. Lee, please.” Hyukjae Oppa said calmly, immune to the stares directed on us.

“Please wait a second, Sir.” I was feeling too embarrassed to look at the receptionist, but I knew she was checking the list of reservations in the computer before her. “Alright, Mr. Lee. Reservation by Secretary Kang?”

Hyukjae Oppa and I frowned in unison. “Secretary Kang? Do you mean Mr. Kang?”

“No Sir, it mentions Secretary Kang here.”

I spoke quietly to Hyukjae Oppa, the fact that I was still in his arms forgotten. “Maybe they thought Daeyoung Oppa was your secretary?”

“How so?”

“There might be some mistakes.”

“Doesn’t seem likely,” Hyukjae Oppa muttered.

The receptionist cleared awkwardly, interrupting our whispers. “Sir?”

I was reminded again that he was still carrying me in his arms. I slapped Hyukjae Oppa’s chest. “Put me down now and take the keys!”

This time, knowing I was tright, he obliged but not without a huff escaping his mouth.  I glared at him as I got on my feet and fixed my sundress. My face was probably redder than cherry from embarrassment. The receptionist pressed a speed dial with the telephone on the desk. She talked to the other end of the line briefly, before hanging up and smiling nervously at us. She handed Hyukjae Oppa the card key.

“Is there something wrong?” Hyukjae Oppa inquired.

“No, Sir. Everything’s prepared. You’re a little early than the reservation made, but we’ve got it handled.”

Hyukjae Oppa and I exchanged glances. Early? If anything, I thought we were late for a day. We should’ve arrived here since the day before with Daeyoung Oppa, Donghae, and Jinhee. The receptionist spoke again.

“You can now proceed to your room. Have a nice day, Sir. Ma’am.”

A bell-boy came toward us and led us to the top level of the hotel. Weird. I thought it would be hard to book a room at the top level of a five-star hotels like this? Daeyoung Oppa had just called for reservation a few days before. How did he get the rooms at the top level?

We came to a halt in front of room 1303. The bell boy turned and bowed to us politely.

“Here’s your room, Sir, Ma’am. We’ve done everything according to your requests.”

“Requests?” I found myself ask.

The bell-boy smiled. “The requests from Mr. Lee during the reservation.

I requested somehting?" Hyukjae Oppa mumbled.

The bell-boy nodded. Is there anything else you would need, Sir, Ma’am?”

Hyukjae Oppa frowned, but he shook his head. “No, thank you.”

“Alright then.” The bell-boy nodded. “Good day, Mr. Lee, Mrs. Lee.”

He dismissed himself and walked back to the elevator. As he did, Hyukjae Oppa and I just realized what he said.

Hyukjae Oppa was grinning. “Mrs. Lee?” he raised his eyebrows.

I blushed furiously for the countless time that day.

“That was weird,” I commented, looking at his hand. “Why is there only one card key?”

Hyukjae Oppa shrugged. “Maybe it’s a suite with multiple bedrooms? I wonder why Daeyoung is being so generous booking us a room at the top level, though.”

And apparently we were thinking about the same thing. I laughed and snatched the card from his hand, swiping it across the intercom that was built in with card reader by the door. A soft click was heard not long after. Hyukjae Oppa twisted the doorknob, standing aside to let me in first.

Hyukjae Oppa was right. It was a suite with multiple bedrooms. The room was so vast and plush, an aromatic scent filling up our lungs as we breathed in. The lights were suspiciously dimmed, and I noticed so many candles were lit up to support the lighting. What was more suspicious to me was the fact that the candles were formed into a line, leading us from the living room of the suite to a bedroom.

I glanced back at Hyukjae Oppa in confusion, but his eyes were still casted to the candles. He was just as bewildered as I was.

As we entered the room, I found apparently it was a bedroom. The lights were, again, dimmed, and there was a four-poster king sized bed dominating the room. A transparent fabric of canopy was draped across the upper space of the four posts, decorating it, making the bed look beautiful.

But more than it, dozens of rose petals were spread on the bed. I cringed when I advanced toward the bed and saw it more clearly. The rose petals were shaped into a neat form of a heart.

This was too weird. The dim lighting, the candles, the rose petals, the aromatic scent...

Something hit me just a few seconds later. This was a suite for honeymoon.

 

 

 

 

 

 

I'm so so so so sorry for the late update (I know I'm a bad author >_<'') I'm going to be real honest, I was attacked with writer's block so I'm sorry if this chapter is a late and weird and all. But I hope you like it. Did I fail at writing fluff?

Anyway, they're already talking about marriageWHEN? Hahahah yes they did, and I'll write about it for the next chapter.

The next chapter will be the continuation of this chapter, so this chapter is like the first part and the second chapter would be the second one. I was going to cram the two parts into one long chapter but then it would be too long, so I'll update the second part really soon. Maybe today or tomorrow, I don't know. Wish me luck. :'')