Chapter One

Naughty Mouth

 

Stuck with the improbable


Lee Donghae was your typical high school's nerd. You know, that guy who always stayed on the same bench to read a different book every time, hiding behind his thick glasses? Yes, that's him. Always wearing clothes way too big for him with a bit of his shirt hanging out of his pants, and an awful haircut similar to an explosion hiding all his features made it easy to categorize Donghae as the stereotype of the lousy boy of the high school.

He didn't really care about what people thought about him though, only the bullying was hard to endure. Guys who thought they were strong and wanted to show it needed to beat the weak boy and Donghae just looked like the perfect victim for them. The latter just wanted to shove their head into a wall, really, but too much complications would follow his bursts of anger and this wasn't good for his interior peace. He even met a shrink once because he used to snap easily out of anger when he was younger. So he just decided to keep quiet and glare at them until his eyes would burn behind his ugly - But useful, he always said - glasses.

However, it's already been four years that Donghae attended the same high school, he always managed to get top grades and good in sports, much to the annoyance of his classmates, which probably supplied the hatred of the 'famous guys' for himself.

 

Only brainless and stupid teenagers. He always snickered when he had the misfortune to see them.

 

But his shrink clearly said he mustn't think about upsetting stuffs and had to keep his mind on something else.

And true to those wise words, Donghae was currently reading a new book. And more precisely, the one of that dear writer J. K. Rowling - random present from his Uncle. Nice book though slightly (Completely) different than the Harry Potter's saga, but this new dark and cynic atmosphere delighted Donghae who wanted to read new things, and above all interesting things.

Sitting straight on the bench at the right of the school's biggest tree (Cyclobalanopsis), Donghae was already half through his book when his best friend sat down at his left, his eyes glued to his smartphone. Donghae crunched up his nose with contempt and quickly averted his attention back on his precious book.

Cho Kyuhyun and him had been friends since they were little kids and not even able to speak properly. A little too long, actually. Donghae thought. Their parents were long time friends since university and had managed somehow to keep in touch. When both of them were born, their mother had declared Kyuhyun and him had to be best friends, and much to their liking, things turned out well on the parents' favor. Though the Cho family's second child was really annoying and always talking back, Donghae still enjoyed Kyuhyun's company and considered him as his real second brother (sometimes).

 

Maybe Donghae looks kind of sarcastic and pessimistic, and he trustfully liked to believe it was true. But to be honest, Donghae's mouth only spluttered shy and embarrassed words, contradicting with his mind which was as snarky as Kyuhyun's (See why it's been too long?).

Donghae actually looked quite shy and nice, with a beautiful smile and all that crap, but didn't emphasized it enough so people would notice it.

 

"When do you plan on going back home?" Kyuhyun's voice suddenly reached Donghae's ears.

 

"I don't know." He mumbled back, absorbed by his page of reading. "Why?"

 

"I don't want to go home, let's hang out at yours." Kyuhyun declared and got up, shoving his phone in his pocket and then forced Donghae to get up.

 

The latter glared forcefully at his best friend, but unfortunately, it only ended up as a cute and angry pout. Kyuhyun only snickered and dragged his friend along outside the jail that represented the school, whistling slightly as a pissed-off Donghae was forced to follow.

 

"I was reading!" He hissed in annoyance at Kyuhyun. "Can't you at least show me a little respect and wait for me to end my line?!"

 

"You're always 'reading', Donghae." Kyuhyun rolled his eyes. "And if I had to wait for you to 'end your line', we'd stay here until tomorrow."

 

That was kind of true, but Donghae wouldn't admit it and continued to glare at his friend, forced to look up from his short height.

 

"Moreover, Aunt will be angry at us if we go home late."

 

"Mom won't mind. I just have to call her."

 

"Sure, sure, whatever helps you to sleep at night, bookworm." Kyuhyun waved at him and then decided to ignore Donghae's whines and grunts.

 

They reached the latter's house in no time, a cozy and pretty house in a nice neighborhood, not really far away from the high school. After they greeted Donghae's parents and grabbed some snacks, they disappeared quickly in his bedroom. As soon as they stepped in, Donghae reached for his bag and took out his book, ready to continue where his supposed best friend stopped him.

 

"You're such a nerd." Kyuhyun commented.

 

"And you're such a geek." Donghae immediately spat back and watched the other turn his computer on.

 

A comfortable silence fell then, only punctuated by the sound of Donghae turning a page or Kyuhyun taping on the keyboard.

 

"..." He mumbled. "I lost..."

 

"Good for you." The other snickered.

 

"Not nice, dude." Kyuhyun said. "I was about to win over him!"

 

"Almighty Kyuhyun still have a long path before him."

 

The other grumbled unhappily but started a new party right away. Just a few sounds coming from his game were heard, until he decided to speak again.

 

"By the way, do you know Mrs. English wants us to do a year project now?"

 

"Who, Sunah?" Donghae asked.

 

"Yeah, Mrs. English - or Mrs. Sunah Jung, or whatever. I hope we'll end up together."

 

"Why, I thought you liked that dude Siwon who always stick on you."

 

"You're crazy." Kyuhyun stated and laughed. "He's the one hitting on me."

 

"Not like you dislike it."

 

"Of course I don't dislike it, but that doesn't mean I like him. But I guess you'll never know since nobody never flirt with you."

 

"Ouch, right in my insecurities." Donghae rolled his eyes sarcastically.

 

"Seriously, why don't you do a full makeover or something. You should change your haircut, first. And your glasses - get rid of them, even. And your clothes. Actually, you should change everything."

 

Donghae raised his gaze to glare at Kyuhyun with a pout. "What's that supposed to mean?!"

 

"That you're ugly. Come on, you're handsome but you have to ruin everything with... Everything."

 

"I'm perfectly fine the way I am!"

 

"No, you're not. Your glasses looks like the bottom of wine bottles, and your hair like you just woke up and a crazy hamster danced the samba in it. You're super not attractive."

 

"Wow, beautiful Korean here."

 

"At least I have a better grading than you." Kyuhyun smirked smugly.

 

Donghae grumbled and continued to pout, giving small glares at his best friend's back from time to time. They always had this rivalry over who was the smartest, and since they were little until now, it always had been Kyuhyun who had this title. He was just that naturally smart, while Donghae still had to work a little if he wanted to maintain his grades, his IQ still high. If only he could put something into Kyuhyun's drink, then maybe he could be the best of his high school? What exasperated him the most was that Kyuhyun was always gaming, not studying at all and always claimed he forgot everything the day of the test, and then got a full mark.  

If only Kyuhyun's bugging stopped there, but no, he always had to nag Donghae with his looks. The latter wasn't the type to follow fashion and change haircuts every weeks, he just wanted to dress up in comfortable clothes and as long as his hair didn't poke his eyes then it was fine. He had to admit that somehow he didn't look like the most handsome man of the world, or even the high school (nice reference) since he looked like a bear all the time. He couldn't really say that the way he wore his uniform was as cool as how Choi Siwon (Most Handsome Student of Seoul High) or even Kyuhyun wore it as it was always too big and he didn't care to make it fit, but he didn't really care at the end. He was supposed to be a nerd, so he will stick at his Nerd Title. Ugly looks, and completely uninteresting.

 

"You have a smile to kill for." Kyuhyun insisted. "And since you're always dancing, your muscles are no jokes."

 

"It's not because I have abs that I have to change my looks."

 

"People look at me weirdly every time I spend time with you!" He whined.

 

"And it bothers you?"

 

"Yeah. That's annoying because I know you actually have some potential."

 

"Thank you, that's so nice of you."

 

"I'm that generous." He smirked and then gave his attention back on Donghae's computer. "Who do you think you'll end up with for the year project. I bet we'll have to do the whole thing once again."

 

"People like you, they'll help you."

 

"Yes, but they're stupid. So I still have to do it myself at the end." He shrugged. "Do you imagine if we end up with Choi Siwon? Or Lee Hyukjae?"

 

"A.k.a. Eunhyuk?" Donghae asked. "What's his real name anyway?"

 

"Yeah him."

 

"But they're smart."

 

"Lee is a lazybum and Choi will flirt the whole time."

 

Donghae gazed at his friend absent-mindedly, trying to remember the first time he met Choi Siwon and Lee Eunhyuk.

 

"He'll only flirt with you." He mumbled.

 

As Donghae and Kyuhyun were best friends since God-knows-when, Eunhyuk/Hyukjae (Donghae didn't really know) and Siwon had always been hanging around together. Rumors said they were childhood friends like Donghae and Kyuhyun. Except they were the 'famous one' Donghae despised so much.

Handsome, rich and charming, they could rule the school by one little smirk. They weren't that bad either, since they never bullied Donghae directly but the fact was they didn't ever try to stop his bullies. Moreover, they usually didn't say nice words of Donghae as a pass time.

What Kyuhyun said was true though ; Lee Hyukjae was pretty much a lazy teenager who always took advantages of his look and of his popularity to have his homeworks done by someone else and basically changing lovers every weeks. Choi Siwon on the other hand had only Kyuhyun in his mind since the latter appeared for the first time at the swimming lesson a week ago. Usually, Kyuhyun didn't like P.E. - he actually completely despised it - but his parents lectured him enough that he decided to go at least once. He showed his body in all his glory, old scars still remaining on his smooth skin. Maybe was it what attracted the taller for Kyuhyun? It wasn't a big secret that Choi Siwon was biual, but it was more surprising to see the younger almost responding at his flirting. The latter could easily be as famous as the two others, but he just found amusement when he messed up with Siwon's mind.

 

"I guess you're right. It'd be a real pain in the ..."

 

 

 

 

 

The next morning, when Donghae reached school on his bike, Kyuhyun was already waiting for him in front of the school gates, yawning with his hands shoved into his pockets. Donghae observed how his eyes were half-closed with tiredness and he could easily guess how his friend stayed up the whole night to play at his stupid games. Though he was going to reach for him, another tall man appeared, followed by a shorter one, and began to chat casually with Kyuhyun. The latter didn't seem interested at all, but Donghae could notice the slight please smirk on the corners of his lips. Then, he recognized the tall man as the infamous Choi Siwon, showing his breathtaking smile to a bored Cho Kyuhyun. Behind him, Lee Eunhyuk only zoned out in space, waiting patiently for his friend to finish and finally head to class - or maybe skip it. Donghae shook his head in disbelief when he understood that Kyuhyun was only playing with his interlocutor and decided it was time to pull him back on earth. He slowly approached the odd little group until Eunhyuk noticed him, snapping out of his daydreaming. He stared at Donghae from head to toe for a few minutes, until he adverted his eyes somewhere else, not even bothering greeting the smaller. Not minding at all, Donghae just bowed shortly and then pulled on his friend's sleeve.

Kyuhyun took cognizance of Donghae and showed a slightly surprised expression.

 

"Oh hi, Donghae." He mumbled.

 

He only nodded slightly and shot a cold look at Siwon before he took his leave toward the high school, leaving Kyuhyun behind.

 

"Hey! Where are you going?" The other followed him shortly after. "Why did you look so scared in front of Siwon?"

 

Donghae frowned and shot a glare at the other. Where did my cold stare ended up? "I didn't look scared."

 

"You did." Kyuhyun retorted. "Like you were intimidated or something."

 

"I wasn't intimidated!" I actually tried to look intimidating!

 

"Why do you always show expressions that don't match with your real thoughts?" Kyuhyun sighed exasperatedly. "That's why people bug you."

 

"It's not my fault!" The other whined. "I don't want to look all weak and scrawny! You know I can't do anything about that!"

 

"You'd have to work on that. Eunhyuk even made fun of you when he saw you."

 

Donghae groaned with exasperation and leaned against the wall of the hall, a few feet near the classroom door.

Since he was young, Donghae had this little (huge) problem of coordination between what his body's behavior shows and what he really thinks. If he ever wanted to scream and shout at someone out of anger, it'd just come out as a little angry and stuttering squeal. Donghae didn't know why but he had troubles expressing his true feelings to people he didn't know. Donghae never was warm with people he didn't trust fully. Only a few persons had the chance to have his trust.

But then people thought he was weak when truth was he wasn't at all. He might wear lousy clothes but they hide for sure abs as perfect as that Eunhyuk dude's. He just didn't feel the need to go around the high school only wearing pants so all the population could know about his six-pack.

He didn't know if it was some kind of a mental disorder or if his mind just didn't want to cooperate, but truth was his mouth never said what he wished it would - never.

 

"If it can comfort you, you looked kind of cute."

 

"Thank-you-very-much, but that's not what I wanted to look like."

 

"Oww, come on, Poor Little Fishy can't look angry and menacing, can he?" Kyuhyun teased and pinched his cheeks hurtfully.

 

The other glared but a small grin crept on his face.

They went in the classroom quietly, waiting for the English teacher - commonly called Sunah by the both of them - to finally begin her lesson of the day so Donghae could finally keep his bored mind focused on anything - even English seemed super entertaining at this moment.

Just as Kyuhyun had predicted yesterday, Mrs. Jung decided to assign a year project to the class, after the students paired up into a team of two. Much to Donghae's dislike, the team had to be formed randomly based on a draw. He glared at the box where Sunah was picking out two pieces of paper each time.

Kyuhyun had his worst (or maybe not?) dream coming true when his partner was revealed to be Siwon. On the other hand, Donghae's name still hadn't have been called, until he heard the teacher call Lee Eunhyuk. He raised an eyebrow, wondering who was the lucky - or unlucky, it depends from the point of view - guy who will have to bear with him the whole year.

 

"Lee Hyukjae, you're with Lee Donghae."

 

Donghae immediately straightened up in his chair and stared at his teacher with eyes wide and mouth opened. Me with him?! This was completely insane! He glared at Sunah who only sent him an apologetic smile before she shoved her hand in the box once again. Hyukjae glanced at him before he rolled his eyes and seemed to force himself to sit next to Donghae. The younger shuffled uncomfortably on his chair, not pleased at all by this whole idea.

 

Let's be clear, Hyukjae, or Eunhyuk, or whatever. Don't you even try mess up with Lee Donghae or it won't turn out good! He thought.

 

"Umm... I - I'm Lee Donghae..." He only managed to stutter.

 

At least it didn't come out too bad this time... But it still.

 

Eunhyuk shot him a look and snorted before he folded his arms against his chest. His red hair falling slightly on his forehead contrasted with his bored and annoyed brown orbs. His necktie was hanging lose on his shirt which was showing a bit of his chest and his fair skin and he's kind of cool, Donghae thought.

 

"Why am I stuck with a nerd like you...?" He grumbled audibly. Actually he's not.

 

Cuz' you think I'm happy?! I just want to cut you in pieces and feed you to dogs, jerk! God, I'm going to go through a ing rough time.

 

"Let's have a g - good time..." He stammered.

 

"Let's be clear, Nerd. Don't even try to bother me or you'll regret it. I'm not doing it, just sort it out by yourself, this is boring and I have a girlfriend to take care of. Can't say the same about you, obviously." He snorted and stared at Donghae from head to toe for the second time today. "But it'd better come out as a good grade, got it?"

 

you.

 

"Y - Yes..."


Hi, I really don't know what took me and this chapter doesn't show a lot of action, but anyway.

First chapter, do you like it?

If you do, I already have half of the second chapter ready. ;)

Thank you for reading ~