Coffee Shop

The Things that Haunt Me the Most

“Tao! Are you coming or what?”

“Just coming Gege!”

Tao shut his laptop down, picked up his favourite scarf off the back of the chair and slammed the door behind him. He ran in the front door, where Kris was waited with a pissed expression.

“How long does it take you to get ready.”

Tao rolled his eyes as he slipped on his shoes. “I thought I had enough time to finish the exercise I was doing yesterday.”. Tao’s Korean wasn’t that good and it annoyed him how all the other members could speak it so well apart from him. And Kris could speak Cantonese and English as well. So Tao set himself a challenge to learn fluent Korean. It was hard work, trying to fit it all in between schedules and rehearsals but he had Chen and Xuimin who were willing to help. He was getting better though didn’t like to show it off because he was worried he would say something wrong and embarrass himself. 

He jumped up and straightened out his coat. “Ready.”

Kris opened the door open for Tao and yelled through the apartment. “We’re going now! Bye!”

There were a few mumbled replies from the rooms, but none were understandable. Kris slammed the door shut behind him, not bothering to lock it and lead the way down the stairs. Tao followed, gripping the banister and trying to keep up with Kris’s pace. Their apartment wasn’t the top floor, but it seemed like that to Tao. He began to feel dizzy, continuously going down repeated flights of stairs and he slowed down. Before he could black out, he reached the bottom floor and saw Kris by the door. He cracked a smile when Tao came down the last few steps trying to catch his breath.

“Couldn’t keep up, little one?”

Tao glared at him. “I’m hungry. Where are we going to eat?”

“Wherever you fancy.”

“I don’t know”

Kris sighed. “I’ll take you to my favourite café. Come on.” Kris held his hand out and Tao gripped it tightly.

It was a dark day and the sky was heavy with grey clouds. A light fog coated the crisp autumn air that whispered through the houses. Yet for some reason the trees seemed to glow. Deep red, orange and golden leaves from the trees radiated off their colour onto the surroundings and dyed the streets. The trees and streets were full of leaves; it was like the city was splattered with paint. The coldness hit Tao is the face and his eyes began to water. Kris tucked his hands into his coat with Tao clutching onto his arm. The two walked briskly down the empty street, nodding politely to the odd passer-by. It started to get busier as they carried on, but suddenly Kris turned a sharp corner down a small alleyway. There were a couple of stools being set up by a couple of older residents, packed with fruit and cute charms. Tao looked back admiring the charms that chimed in the wind and Kris tugged him back. They stopped at a small modernised café which someone had converted the first floor of their house into. There were a couple of metal seats and tables outside, but they were pushed right against the café to avoid getting in the way of people.

Kris opened the door and held it open for Tao. The two walked in, bowing respectfully and went over to the counter. The old woman gave them a welcome smile and asked what they wanted to order. Tao studied the board, chewing his lip in thought as Kris spoke.

“Just a black coffee for me and some Poolppang. Tao…” Kris turned to Tao, who was burrowing his eyes in frustration.

“I’ll have… a hot bubble tea latte please!”

Kris titled his head. “I thought it was HunHan that was into bubble tea?”

Tao shook his head vigorously. “I like bubble tea too!”

Kris sighed and turned to the woman who smiled knowingly. “The young ones can be so unpredictable.”

“Tell me about it…” he replied with hinted sarcasm. The old woman turned away to start up the machines and Tao scanned the room, trying to find a comfy place to sit. But the café was so small, there were only a few wooden chairs and tables, with a bar and stools along the side of the walls.

“Gege…” Tao whispered, tugging at the sleeve of Kris’ coat. “Where are we going to sit?”

Kris faced Tao with a guilty look in his eyes. “Sorry Tao. I need to get back to the apartment as soon as. There is still a load of work I need to do.”

Tao pouted. “But Gege~! You said we were going to go out…”

“But we are out!”

Tao widened his eyes. “But I don’t want to go back. Not yet.”

“Tough.”

Kris turned back to the counter, where the old woman was pressing buttons into the cash register. Tao scowled at his feet, then lightened up at his plan. He tapped Kris playfully on the shoulder.

“Gege~”

“What?”

“Bbuing Bbuing~”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OMO I am SO sorry everyone for not updating since forever and it being so short! I have been swamped with college work and it's taken me weeks to write this :(  But I hope you like it! <3

And thank you so much to all my lovely subscribers - It means so much to me! I love you all! <3

Don't forget to comment or send me messgaes anytime!

AWWWWWWW! You don't know how happy am I right now! Thank you so muchhh~!

Saranghae! <3