Second Helpings

The Things that Haunt Me the Most

Tao was tired. Really tired. And hungry, but hearing what s do to each other during the night made him nauseated. After Kris left the kitchen, Tao went over to the sink and put his glass in the sink for an unlucky loser to wash up later. Picking up his panda, he rushed out of the kitchen and past Chen and Xuimin’s room. He slowed down when he reached Kris’s room, heart sinking when he realised the leader had shut himself in there. Tao walked on, towards the room he shared with Lay and Luhan. He liked sharing with them; but there were some times when he would be shushed out of there. Tao never knew why and it was probably best that he didn’t. Slowly pressing down the door handle and creeping inside he spotted to sleeping bodies, one on the bottom bed of the bunk bed and the second in the single on the other side of the room. Tao carefully made his way over to the bunk beds and flung his panda onto the top bed. He checked the luminous dials of Lay’s alarm clock next to his bed, taking a mental note of the time and left the room shutting the door quietly behind him. Tao padded off into the white tiled bathroom, picking his towel from the rack and dumped it outside the shower cubicle at the end of the bath. Carelessly kicking the bathroom door, he stripped down and switched on the shower. He put a hand under the water and waited until the temperature was warmed enough before stepping in. Exhaling in relief as the hot water rushed through his hair, Tao stood motionless to let the water wash away his anxieties of last night. What was that dream all about? What does it mean? Does it reflect the future? Then suddenly. Why did Kris appear so often? Tao shook his head. It was probably because he was sleeping in Kris’s bed, comforted by his warm embrace. He would probably have dreams of the same member if he was sleeping with either one of them. Tao then had terrible thoughts of Chen and Xuimin sleeping together. He rinsed off the rest of his favourite shower gel and swept the shower curtain to one side. And screamed.  Luhan stood there in his pyjamas and bed hair. Watching him.

“OMG LUHAN WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU PLAYING AT?”

Luhan smiled. “I wanted to talk to you.”

“Couldn’t you have waited until I had finished showering?!” Tao asked, reaching to get his towel and cover his ness.

“I did! I knocked on the door but it was unlocked, so I came in and waited.”

“How long have you been waiting?!”

Luhan shrugged. “It doesn’t matter anyway, it’s not like this is the first time I’ve seen you coming out the shower…”

Tao rolled his eyes. “What do you want?”

Luhan raised his eyebrows. “Rude! That’s no way to speak to your elders!”

“Fine, what is it you require Ge?”

Luhan smiled. “You didn’t come to bed last night; is everything ok?”

Tao nodded. “I couldn’t sleep in bed, so I tired the sofa but I still couldn’t so I slept with Leader.”

“Slept with or slept with?”

“GEGE!!”

Luhan laughed. “Jeez, I was only joking.” He gave Tao a sympathetic look. “You know I will always look out for you Tao, no matter what.”

Tao nodded. “Likewise Gege.”

Luhan was a little hurt that Tao didn’t come to him for comfort, so he couldn’t help but ask. “Why go to Leader rather than me?”

“I didn’t want to wake you Gege. I’ve been waking you and Lay-Gege all this week and I thought you needed some sleep.”

It was true. Tao had slept in every single member’s bed at a random selection each time he had a nightmare. He hadn’t decided who was best at taking the nightmares away, but sure as hell he wasn’t going to Chen and Xuimin’s room anytime soon.  

Luhan sighed and hugged his friend tightly. Tao was still wet and it was soaking through is shirt, but Luhan didn’t care. He had a soft spot for Tao and cared so much about him. Like Kris, it pained him to see their brother so upset over something he had no control over. He let go of Tao smiling and ruffled his wet hair.

“Don’t ever worry about waking me up. You know can handle mornings better than anyone else!”

Tao smirked. It wasn’t quite true but he wasn’t going to correct him. “Will you be going out with Kris-gege and I later?”

Luhan shook his head. “I promised I would Skype Sehunnie later. My poor baby’s been missing me!”

Tao scoffed at the pet name. Cute as their relationship was, Tao couldn’t stand it so early in the morning. Luhan punched him lightly on the shoulder.

“Go on, get out! I want to take a shower too before Boazi and that get up…”