Only the Beginning

The Things that Haunt Me the Most

Kris was happy. He was happy all the time, even though he has a funny way of showing it. But he was happier at this moment, curled up in the comfort of his own bed, thick duvet and a soft pillow support his heavy head with the bedroom window open just a crack to let the midnight breeze in. This was the luxuries of being the leader. His own room and his own space to do whatever he felt like doing. The other members shared rooms in the dorm, but because Kris needed space to organise and plan schedules, it was only fair he got his own room. Kris sometimes felt lonely, but not now. He could feel his eyes begin to close and he sank deeper into the bed. Until he heard the door click open. A small line of light from the hallway struck the wall and a small head peeped in.  The figure was clutching a panda, holding it close to his chest with tear soaked cheeks and shaking vigorously.  He stepped lightly into the room; barefooted and carefully shut the door behind him. Kris knew who it was, but decided to ignore him. He squeezed his eyes shut in hope the boy would get the message and leave him alone. He didn’t.

“GeGe?”

No reply. The boy was sobbing, water pooling in his dark eyes and he shuffled towards the body in the bed. He tapped the mound lightly, not wanting to anger the dragon. Kris grunted. This was happening for the past few weeks and it started to piss him off. Members coming into his room when he was trying to sleep, asking for one thing or another. And they didn’t understand why he was y the next morning. Kris sighed and opened an eye. Tao was standing in the shadows, quietly crying into the panda and wrapped in the blanket off the sofa in the lounge. Kris sat up, his heart breaking at the sight of his poor maknae. Something had obviously upset him, but this was a first for Kris. He had seen Tao cry before, on stage and talking to his Mother on the phone, but he looked a lot worse. Kris moved to one side of his single bed, shoulder pressed against the wall and patted the space next to him. Tao sniffed a couple of times and clambered into the bed. He settled himself down under the duvet, his head resting on the mattress but was stopped before he could close his eyes. Kris comfortingly his cool hand through Tao’s jet black hair, pushing it back away from his face.

“Are you going to tell me what happened?” Kris whispered. Tao was having terrible dreams; they lasted the whole night and returned every time he woke up. He cleared his throat and wiped his face on Kris’s pillow before explaining.

“I dreamt I was alone,” he started. “We were all in an open field, it was sunny and we were playing. But then I saw a tunnel and I went in it. It looked fun at first and you, Luhan and Sehun came with me. I thought I saw a light, but it went and it wasn’t fun anymore. I kept going, but things were hitting me, hurting me. I couldn’t see what they were and then you left me…”. Tao stopped. Tears were flowing from his eyes and screaming into the pillow. Kris pulled him up, gripping him to his chest and Tao clutched at his shirt desperately. Kris made soothing noises and rocked him gently, trying to calm Tao down. It worked and soon Tao stopped crying, still holding onto Kris.

 Not letting him go, Kris asked “Then what?”. He found that if Tao told him what happened, it made it easier for him to sleep. Kris rubbed Tao’s back and he carried on telling his dream.

“I woke up. I got up out of bed and saw that Lay and Luhan were still asleep, so I went to sleep on the sofa.” Kris felt Tao tense up and guessed the dream didn’t stop there. Kris began rocking Tao again to encourage him to tell him more.

“I was out the tunnel,” Tao told him. “I was trapped in a white room and locked on a white bed. I was hurt and bleeding. Everyone was there, looking at me angrily and telling me off for running away. Even Luhan was telling me off, though he had followed me into the tunnel! Then you left; all of you left me. I was crying for you to come back, but you didn’t. My pain was getting worse and the walls began to close in. It was like I was being compressed and no matter how hard I cried - ” Tao chocked back his tear before concluding. “You never came back!” He cried. Tao went back to crying his lungs out into Kris shirt, to avoid waking the other members with his cries. Kris hugged him closer, resting his head on Tao’s and patting him softly. He knew Tao was tired; they were all tired from their busy week. Tao wanted to sleep, but the dreams kept stopping him and he felt bad for Kris. Tao’s wushu skills did nothing to stop the dreams from attacking his mind and he felt like Kris was the only one who could protect him. Kris felt Tao wilt and slide down his grip, ready to try sleep again. He lay down, back resting against the wall and arms locked around Tao. He wanted the boy to feel safe, let him know that nothing was going to hurt him. Tao nuzzled into Kris’s chest, listening to his heartbeat and he slowly drifted into slumber. Kris waited for a while until Tao was settled before closing his eyes.

“I’d never leave you, Tao.”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Ok, what do you think? Please let me know! Thank you! <3