Lyra

Another Earth

“So you’re telling me you hit him.”

“Unintentionally… Yes.”

“But you still hit him.”

“…It was an accident.”

“But you hit him.”

“Yes, and now I want your help.”

“You don’t need help. You need to tell someone.”

“I’m telling you now, aren’t I?”

“It’s different, noona. I’m not a person of authority. You should have called the management instead of me.”

“And what should I tell them?”

“That you hit him?”

“…But…”

“So you came to me, hoping that I could have given you a reason, to give them, right?”

“That’s a blatant way to put it.”

“But that’s what you want.”

“Yes… So will you help me, please?”

--

Silence echoed the room as two pair of eyes continued to stare at the unmoving body to their front. Guilt overtook the girl while pain washed through his whole body.

“Fine.” Luhan finally said. “I’ll help you.”

Her eyes widened with surprise but before she could thank him, he continued.

“I’m helping… because I too, made a mistake once. And this is my way of repaying that back to you.”

“I-I don’t understand.”

“Let’s just say that… I had once made a mistake to you. So this is my way of clearing that.”

“But you have never made a mistake to me.” Tiffany trailed on.

“Not that you know of.” He sighed. “Look, noona. If… If it makes you feel any better. I’ll tell you what I did once you’re ready to tell the others of what you did.”

Tiffany nodded her head in approval. It wasn’t her say to extract information out of the man. All she knew was that he was giving her a helping hand even though her request was a selfish one.

“So… What should I do?” She asked.

“This is just a suggestion, but you should tell the management of Kai’s condition.”

“B-B-But you said…”

“That I’ll help you. Yes… I mean. It would be difficult should the management not know anything. You can just tell them that he was hit in an accident, and that you found him.”

“But the company… They would lodge a police report, won’t they?”

“…That’s true.”

“Oh god, what should I do?” Tiffany felt her tears pushing their way out.

“Why not tell them the truth?”

“Are you crazy?! What would people think of me then?”

“At least it’s better if they knew. I’m sure they would keep it under the wraps, noona. If… If it can somehow comfort you, we can request for them to not tell the members of the actual truth.”

“Y-You really think so?”

“Yeah!” Luhan neared the girl. “I… I can call our manager now if you want.”

“…Please do.”

--

“You what?!”

“I’m really sorry, songsaengnim. I really am.”

“…But how did it happen? Why were you passing by that stretch of road in the first place?!”

“I…Well Kai and I will… We like to take walks in the middle of the night. I thought… I thought I’d check up on him but…”

“But you hit him instead. Wonderful.”

“Please, songsaengnim. I will take full responsibility of my actions, but please. I’d like to see through Kai’s recovery myself.”

“Yourself… As in you wouldn’t want others to know?”

“Y-Yes.”

“Not possible. You told Luhan, didn’t you?”

“H-He was the first person I thought of that could help me.”

“…Fine. We’d keep it under wraps. But in order for you to self-reflect, you have to take full responsibility on him. This includes his bills, his well-being and also…”

“Y-Yes?”

“And you will also break the news to the members. I don’t really care how you put it, but should anyone catch on… it will be your responsibility too.”

“Y-Yes songsaengnim!”

“And Luhan will your responsibility too. Should he say something by accident then you should tell them the truth.”

“I’m sure he won’t.”

“…Tiffany ah. I’m saying this as an older figure, but… This façade would be difficult to maintain. You should just really…”

“Please, songsaengnim. My mind is set.”

“Then I can’t do anything about it now, can I?”

“Well, there is something…”

“What is it?”

“Is it possible if EXO’s schedules are put on hold at the moment? Please, at least until Kai wakes up. I… I’m sure we wouldn’t want to attract attention from the media nor the public.”

“You are lucky that you were born persuasive. All right. I’d take your words into consideration. Meanwhile, take care of Kai. And remember. Self-reflection is the best way out of a muddled mind.”

--

That had been her conversation with Lee Soo Man. Upon receiving Luhan’s call, his manager directed the news straight to the higher-ups who all rushed to the hospital.

Tiffany was reprimanded for her actions, but not wanting the situation to get out of hand, the company decided to keep it an internal matter within themselves.

She knew what she did was ethically incorrect, but she needed to do this. She needed to be there for Kai. If it weren’t for her, he wouldn’t have been in this mess.

“So what now?” Luhan asked after the room was emptied with only the three of them, including an unconscious Kai.

“I’m staying the night. You know… to see if he’ll wake up.”

“Noona… Don’t stress yourself up.”

“I’m not. But…I was wondering if you could do me a favor?”

“What is it?”

“Could you tell your members that Kai’s unconscious in the hospital? Just say that he was involved in an accident… but…”

“But don’t mention who’s involved. Am I right?”

“Yes. But if you rather not…”

“I will. Don’t worry. I’ll go now then, noona. Be strong.” Luhan proceeded to leave.

Tiffany was then left all alone in the room. She took a seat right next to the bed, her eyes not once leaving the man to her front.

Should he have been conscious, Kai would have surely asked her to look away and of the long looks that she gave him.

But that was in alternate universe, wasn’t it? Her never moving eyes reluctantly went to her bag, her hands taking out a pink notebook. Yes, she was going to monitor his progress.

--

Day One.

Jongin was involved in a hit and run today. The culprit was me. Words can never explain how guilty and in pain I am. It was worse when the doctor told me that he was in a comatose. I called Luhan for support. I don’t really know why. But he called Lee Soo Man songsaengnim.

I’m grateful that he let me handle this situation. I know that I’m selfish for not telling anyone, but I want to prove to them that Kai is all right. I know that doesn’t make sense, but I really want the best for him. I’m just at a loss for words right now. I’m pathetic, aren’t I?

If only… If only I could run away. To perhaps Earth II. But I would be a coward, right Jongin? And maybe… Just maybe there might be another Jongin there….

Jongin ah. Please wake up soon. Noona wants to hear your rants, if that made any sense.

I use to hate it so much when you try to act like you’re older than me. But I miss your voice badly.

Please wake up, Jongin ah.

Sincerely,

A depressed noona fan. Tiffany.