Canes Venatici

Another Earth

The world seemed to spin as she continued staring at the ceiling above her, her back flat on her bed.

Thoughts of uncertainty filled the girl as she recalled the message she had received yesterday. The girl was tempted to tell Bob, her Earth friend about the message but she didn’t; knowing that she wouldn’t want to pressure the poor astronaut who seemed to be having a hard time on Earth II.

Her next thought had been to tell Kim, the other astronaut, but she was always nowhere to be seen so Tiffany could only guess that the lady was having a time of her life here.

And lastly, as low as it may seemed to be, Tiffany had thought of telling Prince Luhan but a part of her feared the possibility of him being in a conspiracy.

The girl left her bed reluctantly as she straightened her pink dress out. Tonight was the welcome ball, or like what the earthlings here would say it, “The Premiere Debut Welcome Ball”.

It was definitely a mouthful so that was why she simply regarded it as “The Ball”. A knock was heard on her door and the girl opened it slightly, wondering who it could be.

“Girly!” Fortunately it was Bob. “You ready?”

“Not really. Where’s Kim?”

“She won’t be attending the ball tonight.” Bob frowned. “Said something about a stomachache. So this is why we have to stick together, okay?”

“God, Bob.” Tiffany laughed. “You’re even more nervous than I am.”

“I have to look good you know.” The burly man retorted. “After all, I am the date for the Prime Minister’s daughter.”

“A date? Why would you agree to be a date?”

“Didn’t you know?” She saw his eyes widening with disbelief. “This ball is strictly for couples only! Of course, couples can mean anything from a son to a mother.”

“B-But I don’t have a date!”

“Of course you do.” Bob gave her a funny look. “The Prince is your date. I heard him telling Her Majesty that.”

“H-He didn’t ask me or anything!”

“That is unfortunately how unfair life is, girly.” Bob turned solemn. “The Royal Family gets to decide on everything and by everything, I mean everything.”

At his sentence, Tiffany recalled the note that had conveniently been given to her.

“Run while you still can. You don’t have much time.”

Could the Royal Family be related to what she feared all these while? But what exactly was her fear?

The girl nodded her head as she agreed with Bob. While it was true that the Royal Family decides everything, it was also notable that what they’re doing is in the interest of the citizens, something Tiffany could never understand.

“So,” The girl took in a deep breath as they stood outside the grand door. “How big of a ball is this?”

“It isn’t that big.” Bob chuckled. “It’s extravagant.”

The doors opened, leading the two guests to walk in, their expressions wide with admiration as they took in each and every detail the ballroom had.

Tables and chairs were laced with a sort of silky black cloth, the walls decorated with silver bows all around the room. The sides were filled with a feast of the best food you can find and the guests were all primly and magnificently dressed like one you’ll see in a Hollywood Masquerade.

In fact, the two guests felt that they were under-dressed even.

“May I?” Tiffany turned to face a woman, no more than 25 smiling at her as she pointed to Bob.

Muttering a quick yes, the girl quickly let go of Bob’s hands as she allowed him to return to his date, not missing the ‘take care of yourself’ mumble that he’d given her.

“Looking good in pink!” A voice, no, his voice had called out to her. “Though I did wish you were dressed in black.”

Tiffany turned to face the attractive young man grinning down at her, his smile mimicking that of the Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

“Well I wished you were dressed in pink.” The girl rolled her eyes but stopped as she saw the Queen coming. “Your Majesty.”

“Tiffany.” The Queen smiled before nodding to Luhan. “Are you enjoying yourself so far?”

The girl noticed how Luhan’s lips had curled into a ‘no’ as he laughed at her before even sticking his tongue out in a childish manner. She had wanted to say no but the girl decided against it seeing how the Queen was a pretty nice person after all.

“Of course I am, Your Majesty.” She uttered awkwardly. “I am honoured even to be invited to this ball.”

“Oh, but we have to invite you, dearie!” The Queen clapped her hands in joy. “You’re our guest!”

Tiffany smiled as she nodded her head to agree with the Queen.

“Well, I shall leave you now.” Her Majesty smiled before giving a slight frown to Luhan. “I’ll trust you take care of Tiffany?”

“Yes, mother.” Luhan had bowed his head before allowing the Queen to walk away.

Once she was out of sight, the man turned cocky as he raised an eyebrow towards her direction.

“Like I said before I was interrupted,” His pose was definitely that of a proud man. “You would look so much better in black.”

“Let me see,” The girl mused. “Just so I could please you?”

“Yes.”

“Tough luck.”

“Well,” He shrugged nonchalantly before walking away. “There are always others who would.”

If it wasn’t because they were in the public’s watchful eyes, Tiffany would have liked to think she’d dominate him in his verbal abuse.

Hey, at least she was civilised about it.

The girl sighed as she remembered she was dateless because apparently her date had decided to be a jerk today. She walked ever so slowly towards the banquet area, hoping she can stuff herself in some of the good foods.

Maybe she should get some wine…

The girl paused in her tracks, her eyes suddenly focusing itself on a certain dangling paper that no one seemed to take notice. Her heart raced as she moved forward quickly, ignoring the wide eyed stares that she had been receiving for being… different.

Marching on, she grabbed the piece of paper and immediately went to a corner to hide to read its’ contents. Tiffany’s eyes flashed with excitement before quickly changing into confusion.

“Sticks and stones may break your bones but you would break before you know.

Smoke and wine may be a friend but they are friends to your mind’s ends.

Sing a tune of that you pleased but these watchful eyes will never cease.

Laughs and talks are always fun but could you really trust anyone?

Think wisely. Leave now. –K

The girl frowned as she read the contents, her mind still bothered with the thoughts of who K could be.

What did the note meant anyway?

Sighing, Tiffany slid the note in her dress before acting like nothing just happened. Her eyes fleeted to the wine that she wanted drink earlier but her mind decided against it. After all, the note did talk about wine but then again, it did talk about trust.

And if it had to do with trust, Tiffany realised that she was putting too much faith in a person whom she had never met before.

“What’s that?” The girl got startled when a voice suddenly came behind her. “A love note?”

Seeing the familiar face, she sighed as she shook her head.

“No, Bob.” Tiffany gave a small smile. “It’s nothing.”

“Why are you standing here, girly?” Bob frowned. “Wasn’t the Prince your date? Why is he off with some other… ladies?”

“I don’t exactly like him so I’m really glad he’s somewhere far away.”

“Oh.” The man chuckled. “I don’t like him too. Come, girly. I want to introduce you to someone.”

“Who? Your date?”

“Even better.” Bob grinned from ear to ear. “Her brother.”

“Bob, I appreciate your kindness but I don’t think I want to be set up with a boy. I have enough problems back home an-”

“Come on girly. Just this once. I swear he’s a nice man.”

“We thought the Prince was nice as well, remember?” Tiffany pouted but still allowed Bob to drag her away. “Look at how that turned out.”

“Well,” The man scoffed. “I’m just certain about this one. He, at the very least, has brains.”

“What do you mean?”

“A degree in Psychology. Can you believe that? Well, I supposed it is fitting for a Prime Minister’s son.”

“Psychology, huh.” The girl got lost in her own thoughts. Perhaps this was the guy who had sent her the confusing note?

“Bob!”

Her body tensed as she heard the man calling her companion, her gaze averted to the floor. It couldn’t be…

She’d recognised that voice anywhere, but what were the chances that she got to meet him here as well? What were the chances that he sounded exactly the same as the one back home?

“Tiffany.” Bob pushed the awestruck girl forward. “Allow me to introduce you to Kai.”