Camelopardalis

Another Earth

The smell of strong hot chocolate annoyed the man greatly as with every step he took came a whiff of such indescribable pleasure. Given a choice, he would have just drunk the cup fully on his own but if it wasn’t for Kai…

If it wasn’t for Kai and his obsession with hot chocolate, maybe he would have done just that.

Baekhyun rhythmically took his steps to the familiar corridor and his hands found their way to the door knob of a particular room. He opened it widely to see his not so favorite person there with the man he was specially visiting today.

Luhan.

“Oh, hyung. You’re here already?” Baekhyun asked his older companion who nodded in return.

Truth was, their relationship was turning sour due to a particular someone. It wasn’t that he hated the man; no of course not.

But which member in their right mind would ask a girl to stay away from them? Okay, so maybe it was his fault for being a little too friendly with Tiffany, but didn’t Luhan himself said that he bear no feelings for her?

All right… maybe he had taken it too literally. Maybe he knew that even though Luhan had said such things, he definitely liked her. Or loved. Take your pick.

But he was giving up, wasn’t he? Then there was no excuse for Luhan to tell Tiffany to stay away from him; the great Byun Baekhyun.

And it didn’t help that one time where he overheard Luhan telling the girl to stay away from him because he was… manipulative. Man, what a member.

“So, Kai! How are you feeling today?”

“Ecstatic.” The man chuckled. “Did you know that I received an acceptance letter to head to Earth II?”

“Bombastic choice of words eh. But I knew about it way before you did kiddo.”

“I know. The letter was already open when Luhan hyung gave it to me.”

“Get used to it. Our group doesn’t keep secrets from each other, right, hyung?” Baekhyun purposely trailed on to Luhan.

The man gave a firm nod but inside he was boiling with anger. What did that mean? Did Baekhyun implied that he, Luhan, would keep secrets from one another? Wasn’t it the other way around?

“We also don’t keep secrets from our SM Family.” Luhan replied through gritted teeth.

“But then again, it doesn’t apply to some people.” Baekhyun smirked to .

“Erm guys?”

Kai looked on helplessly at his 2 older members. He didn’t have to be a fool to know that the pair was having a strained relationship. In fact, he’d rather them settle it elsewhere as it was beginning to get embarrassing for him to see them dominate one another for verbal victory. Luhan, the ever thoughtful one, began to realise this as he muttered a look of apology to the young man.

“Baekhyun.” Luhan gave a reluctant smile. “I’m beginning to think that Kai doesn’t feel comfortable around us right now. Maybe we should take our bickering outside and give him space to freshen up?”

The pair headed to the corridor, their impatience with each other shown in their footsteps. Kai shook his head at this particular scene and he did wish they would hurry the hell up and resolve things between themselves.

“So what was that about huh?” Luhan started their conversation off. “What’s up with you talking about secrets and then giving me that look.”

“What look?”

“Oh you know what look. That I-know-something-that-you-don’t-and-I-hate-you-for–it look.”

“Not my fault that you felt the pinch. Because honestly, I was just telling the truth.”

“You know goddamn well that wasn’t your purpose, Baekhyun. Now spit it out. What are you keeping from me?”

“More of like what are YOU keeping from me, hyung? I heard your little talk with Fany noona yesterday.”  Baekhyun  clucked with disapproval. “Why did you ask her to stay away from me huh?”

“You know the reasons.”

“Oh, let me guess. Scared that I’d tell her of how you broke her little promise about not telling anyone what really went on with Kai?”

“That was our secret, Baekhyun ah. And you know that I trust you with it no matter what happens.”

“Then what?! Why are you so insistent on her staying away from me? Why?”

“I don’t know okay?!”

“Is it because you love her?”

“That’s one part.” Luhan mumbled.

“But you put her off, didn’t you, hyung? So why would you want to come in between us?”

“The two of you are not even together in the first place! Take a reality check, Baekhyun.”

“Then what?! Why are you being such an annoying, envious teenage girl?!”

“I just can’t help but feel that you want to manipulate her! All right?! That’s my so called big secret! Happy now?!”

Silence dawned in onto both members as they both sighed in exasperation.

“M-Manipulate her?” Baekhyun stuttered.

“Yes. I mean, come on. Admit it. You’re angry with her too for crashing down on Kai. But what you are doing right now… it’s not right, Baekhyun ah.” His tone was soft and gentle.

“Don’t play her around like a puppet.” Luhan continued. “She has already gone through so much. Noona really is remorseful. She’s planning to tell Kai soon, Really.”

“That’s what I don’t understand, hyung. How can you value her words more than your own members?”

“I… I don’t. But you have to understand that she’s the only reason why I’m still here.”

“We’re here for you, hyung. Everyone. Not only her.”

“You won’t get it, Baekhyun. I’m sorry. One day you will come to see why she’s so important to me.”

“Then I’m sorry too.”

“For what?”

“Noona has to be given a lesson, whether you like it or not.” Baekhyun spoke with determination.

“I told you not to play around with her feelings!” Yes, Luhan was definitely seething with anger.

“Too bad.” The man smirked yet again to his companion. “I’m going to go off. Tell Kai I’m sorry that I only dropped by for a short while.”

“Stop right there, Byun Baekhyun. If you do love her, that’s good enough of a reason for me to stay away. But if you plan on manipulating her, I’m sorry, but I have to tattle tale on you.”

“Are you sure you want to do that?” The man turned around.

“W-What?”

“If you do tattle-tale on me, hyung, then I’d make sure that I’ll tattle-tale on you too. Imagine the horror when noona finds out that you didn’t kept her secret. After all, you do care a lot about what she thinks of you, right? Me? Not so much.”

“Baekhyun…”

“Sorry hyung. I still love and respect you a lot, but there are just some things that I’d rather not associate myself with. And that is to lie to your members. See ya.”

Luhan sighed and shook his head with disapproval before turning back to return to Kai. He felt as though his whole world came crumbling down to see the young man on the floor; his eyes a bright red from the sudden flow of tears.

“K-Kai!” He quickly went to the man and brought him to his bed. “W-What happened?! Are you okay?!”

“I heard… I heard what happened.” His voice was weak.

“W-What?”

“I heard… and it all came back quickly.”

“What came back quickly, Kai?”

“Hyung… I…” His tears dripped onto Luhan’s shirt; the man hugging the poor boy who was in a state of confusion.

“What is it Kai?” Luhan’s tone was soft and comforting.

He had a strange feeling he knew what was going to say but he wanted to hear it anyway.

“My memories…. They came back.” Kai weeped and he raised his head to meet ’s.

“I remember everything.”