Velpecula

Another Earth

 

“H-Hello?”

“This is the United Space Ventures speaking. How may I help you?”

“M-My name is Tiffany Hwang and I’m here calling on behalf of Kim Jongin.”

“Kim Jongin? Our winner for the first travel to Earth II?”

“Yes, you see-“

“I see. Are you the person that Kim Jongin has given up his ticket to?”

“Y-Yes.”

“All right. You need to arrive in the US in 2 days’ time. Please prepare thoroughly as we’re leaving for Earth II in 3 days.”

“I-I see. Thank you.”

“You’re welcome. Do not hesitate to call us again should you need any help in your packing list. Have a good day and we’re looking forward to see you soon!”

-

It was as simple as that; her punishment.

Tiffany had finished packing right after her phone call with United Space Ventures. The girl took a look around her room and she sighed, plopping her body on her bed.

This was it. It was real.

She was heading to Earth II.

A few minutes after her call, she had phoned Baekhyun to come to her house. She didn’t know why she did that, but it had something to do with her feelings for him. That she was sure.

Her doorbell rang and she heard murmurs from the living room, including an ecstatic Taeyeon who was screaming her hearts out.

“Are you here to see Tiffany?” She heard Taeyeon asking the young man.

Soon enough, the door to her room opened and a flustered Baekhyun took a step in before politely closing the door. It was no surprise why he did that. The girls would surely, and definitely, be trying to peep into their private conversation.

And there was nothing more Tiffany wanted than to spend time with a newly loved one.

“Hey.” Baekhyun took a seat next to the girl. “Why the droopy face?”

“I want to tell you something.” Tiffany placed her hands on his. “Promise me you won’t get angry?”

“Of course not. I can never be angry with you, noona. What is it?”

“I’m heading to Earth II.” She muttered softly.

“You’re going with Jongin?!”

“…No. He gave me his ticket.”

“Why would he do that?” Baekhyun questioned the girl to his front.

The uncomfortable shifting of her eyes didn’t went unnoticed and the man proceeded to closen the gap between them.

“Noona?”

“Have you seen him recently?” Tiffany was unsure on how to start the conversation.

“Jongin? No, why?”

“Jongin… He… His memories came back.”

“Oh.”

A deafening silence ensued but was stopped when Tiffany started speaking up again.

“I know I should have told you earlier, but… but I was the one behind Jongin’s accident.” The girl brought her head low.

“I didn’t see him that night and I ran over him with my car. I know that you probably can’t forgive me for this but I just wanted to take the time to say that I’m sorry.” She continued. “Jongin… Jongin gave me his ticket as a form of punishment, but honestly, I don’t see how it’s a punishment.”

“Luhan… Luhan was the only one who knew about it and I’m sorry for asking him to keep it from you. I can never understand why he would go through such lengths to help me out.” Hesitation was evident in her voice. “I confessed to the other members yesterday night, but you weren’t there. I thought I’d told you personally because you know…”

“Because I thought I should be honest with you seeing how we’re… together?” The girl brought her head up to meet his eyes. “Baekhyun? Why are you so quiet?”

“Y-You told the other m-members?” Baekhyun stammered, refusing to look at the girl with his eyes.

“Yes. They were all disappointed when they knew, but what can I say. Kindness runs in the group.” Tiffany laughed bitterly. “I hope you can forgive me and Luhan for keeping it in wraps from all of you. I… I just wanted to take responsibility for Jongin myself.”

“T-That’s your real reason? Not because you were scared?”

“I was.” Tiffany admitted. “But I felt more guilt than fear. I just… I just wanted the best for him and for myself. I guess I was a little selfish in the way I handled things.”

“Baekhyun?” The girl called him when he turned silent. “A-Are you taking this well?”

How could he be taking this well? Here she was, the girl that he wanted to play out due to her dishonesty, telling him truthfully what had happened that night. She even took the first step in telling s and worse still, it seems as though she cares for Jongin and Luhan more than herself; More than her dignity.

“What a confession.” The man chuckled but Tiffany could sense that he wasn’t mentally there with her in the room.

“Noona?” He turned to look at her. “I have a confession too.”

“I… I knew about this all along.” Baekhyun uttered softly as he stood up though his eyes never once left her figure.

“H-How-”

“Luhan hyung told me.” He declared. “But you should not blame him.”

“I…”

“Remember when I once told you that Luhan hyung wasn’t an emotionally strong person by nature?” The man questioned to which the girl nodded. “He only told me the real story because I saw that he couldn’t take the burden of it alone. Even Sehun didn’t know then.”

“I… I can never blame Luhan. He’s been there for me all these while.” Tiffany recalled of the man’s actions though she did wished he had put more trust in Baekhyun.

Was that the reason why he was wary of her being close to the man in the first place?

The man winced at her words, knowing that she had put Luhan’s and Jongin’s life, ahead of hers. It was selfless, in her own little way.

“Yes, you can’t blame him, but you can blame me.” Baekhyun continued reluctantly.

“I don’t understand. You did nothing wrong.”

“I did something worse. I took a person’s weakness and turned it into my own enjoyment.”

“W-What are you trying to say, Baekhyun?” Tiffany stood up to try and soothe the man, only to be commanded to continue sitting.

“I’m sure you know that Luhan hyung had been asking you to stay away from me.” Baekhyun took a deep breath in as the girl nodded her head. “He had a valid reason to do so.”

“I… planned a game, noona. A game that takes advantage of you for my own pleasure. I was angry that you kept mum on the accident when Jongin deserved to know. It was his own life after all.” He continued as he paced across the room.

“I wanted to make you fall in love with me so that you’d know the pain of being lied to. The pain of being lied by someone you love.” Baekhyun turned to face the girl.

“And you succeeded.” Tiffany’s voice came off as a whisper.

“Don’t blame Luhan hyung, though. I played on his weakness too.” He approached the girl slowly. “I thought you deserved to know since you’re coming clean with what happened.”

“So it was all a lie.” The girl tried to compose herself but was unsuccessful.

“Karma sure hurts.” She whimpered. “What goes around really comes around, huh?”

“Noona.” The man tried shaking the girl out of her thoughts only to be stopped.

“D-Don’t touch me.” She warned as she walked up and down her room in a turmoil.

“Noona…”

“All those moments. They were lies? T-The touching and the k-kissing…” Tiffany tried to make sense of what she just spluttered out. “They were lies.”

The girl stopped in her tracks and began searching his eyes for an answer. “You don’t love me, do you?”

Baekhyun kept silent as the girl raised her voice to ask him again. What answer could he honestly give?

“It’s okay.” Baekhyun saw the tears falling from the girl’s eyes. “It’s okay, Baekhyun.”

“You don’t love me. That’s all right.” She tried facing reality but with no luck.

“Please forgive me.” The man muttered softly, unsure of what to do in this situation.

“F-Forgiven! Of course! I… I only deserved as much.” Baekhyun flinched at her words. Why did she have so little of a self-esteem?

“You won.”

Her words struck him in his guts. He had… won. As he faced the girl, all he saw were her tears falling effortlessly to her cheeks. All he saw was a heartbroken girl.

“I lost.” Tiffany tried to it up as she laughed. “Good game.”

“Noona…”

“I… I guess I’ll see you around.” She opened the door for him and Baekhyun knew it was a sign that she wanted to be left alone. “Maybe after I get back from Earth II.”

“I’ll… I’ll see you around.” Baekhyun muttered awkwardly as he left the girl’s house, ignoring the weird looks he was getting from the other SNSD members.

“I won…” Baekhyun muttered softly as he made his way home.

But what is this emptiness he’s feeling right now after his triumph?