Vela

Another Earth

Her heart skipped a beat at the familiar face smiling up at her. His smiles were sweet but they were what she wished she didn’t received. But at last, received she did and thus all she could do was to return it.

“Hi Kai.” Tiffany beamed down to the man before her.

“You don’t know how happy I am to see you.” He chuckled.

“And you don’t know how glad I am to see you all pumped up!”

The girl placed her bag at the side and quickly took a seat by the bed. Her hands crossed each other in expectation and her eyes glinted in curiosity.

“How are you?”

“I’m fine…” The man trailed on. “Oh. Noona! Guess what?!”

The excitement in his tone brought the atmosphere up by a notch. “What? Did the doctor finally give the green light for you to be discharged?”

“I wished. But he did say that my memory is improving!”

“M-memory? A-As in y-you can r-remember you’re a-accident?”

“Sadly no. He doesn’t want me to recall such heavy facts yet. We only did some minor brain exercises so that it can function and recall stuffs better. It’s all part of my training.”

“O-Oh.” Relief hinted in her voice. “That’s good then.”

“This training… it’s really good for you.” She continued.

“Yeah, but it is difficult. Sometimes, I just feel like giving up.”

“I’m sure you can do it. The great Kim Jongin would surely be able to ace this training.” Tiffany gave an assuring smile but Kai noticed that she seemed distant while saying this.

“Don’t worry noona.” He uttered with determination. “I’ll surely remember everything… For you.”

Tiffany noticed how her heart beat increased rapidly at his sudden confession. How was she to tell him that she was the one behind his accident? All courage in her disappeared and the girl sighed at her cowardly instincts.

Her hands reach out to his as she pulled him in for a tight embrace. Words would not portray what she wants him to know so badly. A hug, she thought, would not give her intentions away and yet it was a simple gesture to amplify his already solid determination.

As she pulled away, she noticed how his cheeks were a tint of pink and his eyes fluttered quickly without making eye contact with her. Was he blushing? The room turned silent for a moment and Tiffany thought that it would be gauche to even tell him of his reddened expressions.

“I’m back!”

The door swung open and in walked an energetic Baekhyun; his smiles already brightening up the others. Thank god for Baekhyun to make things less awkward, Tiffany thought to herself. Now she didn’t need to even think of an appropriate response to Kai getting flushed at her sudden hug.

“Welcome back?” The girl started off the conversation. “Why are you back so early? Didn’t I ask you to go and eat?”

“I did.” He noticed how Kai and Tiffany raised their eyebrows inquisitively before continuing. “… Fine. I grabbed a sandwich and a drink so that I could rush back up. I was anxious for Kai. This might explain why I brought hot chocolate with me!”

Kai’s once judging expression turned expectant as the man handed him a cup of his favourite drink. He took a sip and heaved a happy relief before turning back to Baekhyun.

“Hyung, were you really that anxious? I mean, Tiffany noona was here too so there was nothing to be anxious about.”

“Of course! How can you even doubt me? I was so worried for you! Not that I am questioning your skills, noona, no offence.”

“More like you’re worried for her instead of me.” Kai sneered.

Baekhyun gave a glare to . Was he serious?

“Hey, hey. There’s enough me to go around. I can worry about anyone as I like, okay?” Baekhyun laughed. “Anyway, did you tell noona how much you have recovered recently?”

“Yup. I was surprised though. I thought you would have told her.”

“I wanted you to tell her for yourself. It is your life after all.”

“Thanks to you.” Kai pointed out. “I am alive and kicking because of you. Even though it’s my life, hyung has stayed with me from the start. From taking care of my meals to bringing me hot chocolate, he really is meticulous about everything. As annoying as he is, he really does take good care of me.”

“I just want to protect my maknae, that’s all.” Baekhyun turned to Tiffany.

The girl gulped at this and her mind flashes back to how she couldn’t protect Kai from her horrible driving skills; not to mention her always distracted state of mind. Tiffany turned away but she swore that it felt as if Baekhyun was purposely taunting her; as if he knew her dirty little secret.

“I don’t really need to be protected.” Everyone’s attention turned to Kai.

“After all, Tiffany noona is here!” He added cheekily.

“Oh gosh. You should really get your memories back.” Baekhyun face palmed at the man. “The old you would rather die than be protected. In fact, you wanted to protect noona, not the other way around.”

The girl stayed silent as her brain processed their conversation. How was it possible that Baekhyun knew of Kai’s old habits? It was suspicious, but he was Kai’s member after all. He must have known him skin deep. As realistic as that may sound, Tiffany can’t help but feel further burdened by Baekhyun. Her instincts were telling her to run away and the more she stayed, the more uncomfortable she got.

“Hey… I’m really sorry. But I have something going on back home.” The girl offered her apology. “I have to leave now… Sorry.”

“I’ll be back extra early tomorrow, though.” She promised. “I’ll be there for you when you’re having your training!”

“Fine.” Kai pouted cutely. “You promised, noona. Remember that.”

“Uh… I have to go too. Suho hyung just texted me. He’s a naggy one, that’s for sure.” Baekhyun interrupted.

“You too?!” Kai sulked again. “You owe me one.”

“Fine, fine.” Baekhyun waved his hands dismissively. “’I’ll see you tomorrow. Kris hyung and Lay hyung are coming to visit you later. Behave, all right?”

“Yeah yeah. Hurry up and go already.” Kai joked to the older man. “Oh, and see you tomorrow too, noona!”

The pair left the room in silence and Tiffany silently cursed herself for leaving early. Her reasoning was something to do with avoiding Baekhyun but that man seemed determined in following her even back home. Guess he didn’t realise how uncomfortable she was just now, Tiffany thought to herself.

“Noona?” He broke the silence between them. “Have you ever felt compelled to protect someone badly?”

“Yes.” Tiffany replied with a strong determined look on her face as she remembered that she should make it up to Kai for almost causing him his life.

“Us both.” He gave a small laugh.

The girl furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. Why was he asking her all these questions? What purpose did he have? The girl shook her head slightly; wondering why she was so wary of the man.

“Oh noona! You’re so cute!” Baekhyun grinned widely. “Why do you look so confused?”

Tiffany shrugged her shoulders nonchalantly but the fact was that her heart was still insecure from his sudden remarks.

“Anyway, I have to go now. I’ll see you tomorrow?” The man asked while the girl nodded her head in response.

Baekhyun leaned in closer to the girl and Tiffany was taken aback by his actions. The man had poked her cheeks softly and he smirked to the girl before him.

“Please don’t come confused tomorrow!” Were his last words before he left.

Tiffany was then left alone to think by herself. Did Baekhyun really went in for a poke on her cheeks just now? First he had patted her head; now this? What’s next?

She realised that her cheeks had turned rose red and that her heart was racing fast. The girl didn’t know why she felt this way but she decided to dismiss it nonetheless. As she turned around to leave, she was surprised to find her morning companion.

“Oh, Luhan. What are you doing here?”

“Noona!” Disappointment was evident in his eyes. “What happened to our plans of being cautious of Baekhyun?”

“Why are you insistent on being wary of your own member?”

There was no way she was going to let Luhan boss her around, although she did have the same instincts as him.

“And it was your plan, remember? I don’t recall agreeing to it.” She continued.

“Look. I just don’t feel good about him now, that’s all.”

“Fair enough. But I think I can take care of myself.”

“Suit yourself.” Luhan sighed. “Don’t come running to me if anything goes wrong. I refuse to tell you that ‘I told you so’.”

“Come on, Luhan. I really can take care of myself. I understand your good intentions… but I’m more than capable myself.” She sneered.

“Up to you, noona. Up to you.” Luhan shook his head before walking away. Who was he to stop her?

The girl squinted her eyes as she watched him distancing himself. Why was he so worried for her in the first place? It wasn’t feasible unless… unless he did bear feelings for her!

“Don’t take this the wrong way.” She remembered him saying to her face. “I just don’t want you to get hurt.”

Of course. He did make it clear that he didn’t like her whatsoever. Tiffany groaned at how her heart kept harping on the fact that he might like her.

He didn’t and thus she shouldn’t.

So why should she care anyway?