Dorado

Another Earth

The ride towards the graveyard had been a silent one, with Tiffany mainly staring out the car’s window. The skies, she noted, were turning into a dark grey, signalling that heavy rain was coming. It proved a little ironic, especially right after she found out that her counterpart was dead.

Her eyes took in the scenery that passed by. The lush green forests were as beautiful as they were back in her Earth, maybe even more beautiful. She did found it a little weird though, how there wasn’t anything else except for the greens. Maybe it was because they were driving on a highway, she reassured herself.

The car slowed down, pausing in front of an enormous black gate, and creakings from the gate could still be heard even inside the car. Tiffany took a quick glance towards the Prince’s direction, but the young man seemed disinterested at what’s taking place. She realised it must have been a normal occurrence, and so she kept her eyes excitedly on the black gates again.

The words “Royal Family Cemetery” were left in a massive sign, right at the top of the gates.

Even in death, they’re fancy, the girl thought to herself.

It dawned on her that they were to visit her counterpart’s grave and she raised an eyebrow immediately. But why would it be here?

The car came to a stop again, and seeing the Prince alight, the girl did the same.

“We’ll have to walk.” Luhan muttered briefly as he went ahead of her.

“W-Wait!” Her legs tried to keep up with him. “You said you’ll tell me things!”

“I will.” He turned around to look at her. It seemed as though he was waiting for her to catch up. It was honestly kind of sweet for him to do that. “Once we reach the place of course.”

The girl hurried after him, but it seemed as though they were just going deeper into the cemetery. She couldn’t understand why Luhan couldn’t just tell her things right off the bat. The place itself and the mysteriousness surrounding the young man had her in suspicion. It didn’t help that the clouds seemed to be getting heavier as well.

She was awaken out of her thoughts as she bumped into his back. The Royal only sighed, shaking his head at her absent-mindedness.

“We’re here.” Was all he said.

Her eyes took in the sight before her. The grave wasn’t anything fancy, but it looked as ‘royal’ as the other graves out here.

‘Here lies Tiffany Hwang, beloved daughter, friend and wife.’

That definitely caught her attention.

“Wife?” Tiffany muttered curiously. “She was someone’s wife?”

“Yes.” The Prince answered sadly. “She was.”

“Whose wife? Yours?”

“Tiffany.” Luhan rolled his eyes. “I barely knew her. She was the wife of a… friend.”

“And who could that be?”

“We’ll have to wait.” The young man gestured to a nearby bench. “Today is her death anniversary. He’ll always come for a visit at this timing.”

--

The empty corridors of the Royal House seemed to still, with only the sounds of the wind echoing through it. Right behind the mahogany coloured curtains were two figures, their voices a soft whisper.

“What is the status?” The first person urged. “Any updates?”

“It’s bad. The Prince has gone to meet her. We don’t know anything else from said point.”

“I see. Keep an eye on them. The Prince seems to have taken an interest in her. We can’t afford that.”

“Yes, I will update you immediately if there are any… faults.” The latter left immediately.

The former sighed, her head deep in thoughts. This was something tricky she had to deal with. She bit her lips, and quietly exited from the curtains; walking slowly in the empty corridor.

Sensing that she was not alone, her head snapped up and upon seeing a familiar figure, she knew something will definitely go wrong somewhere. It was definitely in her gut feeling.

“Your Majesty.” The man greeted her, though she could see for herself the smirk he bore on his face. “Why are you indoors on such a lovely day?”

The Queen clenched her teeth tightly, trying to suppress her annoyance.

“Kai.” She acknowledged him, albeit sarcastically. “What a surprise to see you here.”

--

“The rain is going to fall anytime soon.” Tiffany sighed as she looked up at the sky. “We don’t even have an umbrella and the car is too far out.”

“You’re a real worry-rat aren’t you?” Luhan grinned widely, to which she couldn’t understand.

“And why would you be smiling again?”

“Because it’s cute.” He stated bluntly.

The girl heaved a sigh yet again, though her eyes now lingered to the grave they’ve visited. She wondered who her counterpart really was as person, seeing how significant a person she seemed judging from her place of rest.

She also wondered who was left widowed, for whoever it was must have been sad to see his wife go.

“He’s here.” Luhan nudged the girl, but she already knew before she was told.

Amidst the many graves, a lone man walked by himself, his black outfit appropriate for a visit. He appeared solemn, and Tiffany could see the eyebags underneath the man’s eyes, even at a distance. Her heart quickened, for it was another familiar face for her, but she knew the two entities were much different from one another.

“Is that him?” Tiffany whispered, her eyes still on the man.

“Yes.” The Prince replied, but he only had the girl in his sight. “And it seems to me that you recognised him.”

How could she not, Tiffany glumly thought to herself. This was after all the man who shared a face with her ex-boyfriend.

“Baekhyun.”

“He’s important to me.” Luhan muttered defensively upon hearing the distaste in her voice. “I assure you he is a very nice young man.”

She nodded her head briefly, trying to recollect her thoughts. Luhan was right of course. This person right here could be much different from the Baekhyun she knew from home. Though she had to admit, the Baekhyun back home was a nice young man too.

“So, what’s the deal?” The girl continued watching Baekhyun’s movements. “He’s her husband?”

“Yes.”

“And you’re his friend, correct?”

Luhan pursed his lips. Now, this was a complication.

“I’m not from this Earth, if you remembered.” He slowly started. “So I do consider him a friend.”

“But he doesn’t?” Tiffany was confused.

“He does, but much more. He… he thinks we’re brothers.”

“Oh, so you guys have a bromance thing going on?”

“No, Tiffany.” Luhan turned to look at her. “We’re literally half brothers.”

--

“Your Majesty.” Kai bowed as a form as respect again.

“What are you doing here, Kai?” The Queen’s tone came off as rather curt, and she forced a smile out to rectify her small mistake.

“I was actually on the way to see our special guest.” The young man grinned widely, far too widely for the Queen’s liking. “Have you seen her?”

“She is with Luhan. You might probably be able to see her during dinner later.”

“Oh, that’s great then.” This time Kai give off a smirk. “I wanted to introduce her to my dad, actually.”

He saw how she froze but composed herself immediately after.

“Ah, will the Prime Minister be joining us for dinner tonight?”

“Not only him, but my mother too.” The young man gauged for a reaction.

“Lovely.” He could tell the Queen’s breathing got heavier. “If you could excuse me Kai, I’m not feeling so well. I’ll see you at dinner later?”

“Of course, Your Majesty.” Kai bowed yet again. “I can’t wait for dinner.”

--

A/N yay I updated again. Haha. There are probably alot of things on your mind reading through this chapter. Luhan and Baekhyun being half brothers. And what has the Prime Minister or even Kai got to do with all of this? And what type of person was Tiffany from Earth II actually like? So many questions. I hope you'll stick with me for the answers :D Thank you for reading! xoxo