Taurus

Another Earth

 

It was a new morning. As yellow as the sun may be, the bitter felt emotions from yesterday clouded the sunlight into grey. The dark blue sky was at least a few shades darker than what it appears to be to the girl sitting in a small, deserted, café downtown.

Even under shelter, the girl donned her Chanel shades to prevent the lack of patrons from recognizing her.  This might also explained why she picked a corner of the café to sit in; one that doesn’t allow others to invade her privacy.

The café door opened and the bells that ringed had the girl look up in anticipation. There he was, him donning his shades as well, glancing through the small area. His eyes seemed to set on her and he walked quickly to his supposed companion.

“Noona?” He questioned the girl to his front and took a seat opposite her.

Tiffany nodded hear head as she took her shades off, cautious of the reactions she might receive from the other patrons. She was safe, after realising that the others were too focused in their own conversations.

“Thank you for coming, Luhan.” The girl uttered softly, her hands fiddling with her cup of coffee.

“I-It’s nothing.”

“Aren’t you going to take your shades off?” She eyed his face speculatively.

The man shook his head and let out a small, nervous laugh.

“We’re idols, remember? We won’t want any scandals to happen.”

“O-Oh.” Tiffany nodded her head in agreement.

Truth was, she herself had forgotten that she was a member of one of the top groups in Korea. The events that had lined up before had completely stripped her off the fact that she was an idol. Especially after what had happened to Kai... and Baekhyun.

“So why did you called me here, noona?” Luhan took a sip of the coffee that Tiffany had prepared for him beforehand.

“I… I wanted to apologise.” The girl brought her eyes to meet his. “After everything that happened…”

“I think the one that you need to apologise to is Jongin, not me.” His words were kind but Tiffany would have none of it.

“I already did, but now, I want to say sorry to you.”

“Whatever for?”

“For making your life hell, Luhan. For not knowing what you were going through for my sake. For having you take all these responsibility when it’s not of your interest.” Tiffany rambled on but paused when she heard how loud her voice had become. “I’m sorry that I didn’t appreciate you enough.”

“But you didn’t make my life-”

“Don’t.” She warned him. “Baekhyun told me everything. He told me how you couldn’t bear the burden alone… and… Why didn’t you tell me, Luhan?”

The man kept silent as he stared right through her. It was frustrating for the girl as she could not read what his emotions were right now due to his shades.

“B-Baekhyun told you?” The man stuttered. “A-Anything else?”

“No,” Tiffany lied as she left the break up details aside. “I just… If I had known, I wouldn’t have dragged you into this. I feel bad.”

“Don’t. If you went through it alone, who knows what you would have done, thinking about suicide and all.”

The man took a sip coffee again and sighed.

“If I hadn’t told Baekhyun,” Luhan tried to justify himself. “You wouldn’t have been able to spend time with him. At least he makes you happy.”

“Not anymore.” The girl muttered softly but Luhan had heard her.

“W-What happened between you and Baekhyun?”

Tiffany pursed her lips together, unsure of how to answer. She could beat around the bush and tell him the words Baekhyun had said to her or she could…

“We broke up.” She decided to be straight forward about it instead.

“You two were together?!” The man choked on his words. “Since when?”

“It wasn’t that long. 2 days maybe.” Her hands twitched, her eyes unable to meet his.

“Ahhhh.” Luhan nodded in understanding. “You two broke up because he told you of his true intentions?”

The man then realised that he hadn’t shown any signs of pity and took back his words immediately.

“I mean, I did tell you to stay away from him, noona.” His voice was now a tad lower as he tried to portray compassion.

“D-Did you knew?” Tiffany bit her lips. “Did you knew he was manipulating me?”

“Not till recently.” He admitted. “But I think Baekhyun really does-”

“Let’s stop talking about me.” The girl interrupted as she tried to break away from the topic. “How’s Jongin? I heard he was discharged?”

“He’s good but he got a little moody when Baekhyun came home yesterday. I don’t know what they were talking about but Jongin was really upset and he-” Luhan paused and he almost slapped himself.

There he was, talking about Baekhyun again when Tiffany clearly doesn’t want to. Jeez, Luhan. Get a grip, he thought to himself.

“Jongin’s good.” He quickly ended the conversation and took yet another sip of coffee.

A sudden thought flashed through his mind and the man sighed yet again, obviously unhappy about the abrupt idea.

“Noona?” Luhan took his shades off and Tiffany saw for herself his tired eyes. “Remember when I told you I’d tell you my secret if you were honest about the accident?”

Her face lit up as she remembered this piece of information. Now that she thought of it, Luhan was a little secretive in his words that day. What had he been hiding?

The girl nodded her head in excitement anyway and Luhan knew then he could no longer keep his inner thoughts a secret.

“Remember when we first met?” He asked.

“In the practice room with Taeyeon?” Tiffany raised an eyebrow. “Yeah, why?”

“What if I told you… that wasn’t our first meeting?” Luhan pieced his words carefully.

Confusion was evident in the girl’s eyes as she tried to comprehend what the man was saying.

“B-But that only meant that we really met when we were kids. A-At the park.” Understanding suddenly seemed difficult for the girl. “Why would you lie?”

“Hear me out, please noona?” The man pleaded and Tiffany agreed reluctantly.

“You were five when you first met me, right?” Luhan continued. “And then you met me again when you were 10 and 14 respectively. I know this may seem ridiculous, but you’ve only met me when you were 10.”

“That couldn’t be it.” Tiffany scoffed. “How would you know then that we met when I was five?”

“I was… behind a tree when you were talking to Luhan.”

“W-What are y-you saying? You’re Luhan.”

“I am, but I’m not.” The man took in a deep breath as he whispered softly. “I’m Luhan from the other Earth.”

“E-Earth II? You’re from Earth II? B-But that’s n-not possible!”

“Is it not? The people in my world discovered your planet way before your people did. We… took a visit here before, back in the States. That was how I saw you.”

Silence dawned and the girl found herself in an awkward position. What was she to say?

“W-What happened to the real Luhan?”

Tiffany saw how the man had winced at her words before trying to recompose himself.

“I… traded places with him. I was supposed to return to Earth that day; my earth, but I didn’t. The other… The other Luhan did.” Luhan tried to explain himself as he put his hands over Tiffany’s. “But I’m real, noona. I’m as real as the other Luhan.”

Seeing how Tiffany was refusing to look at him, the man broke their contact off and he fiddled with his coffee instead.

“I… have loved you ever since I had my eyes on you, noona. Even when I was a kid, I knew that what I wanted to do was to be with you.” The man shook his head at his feelings. “I had never wanted to be a prince, but the other Luhan did. He was intrigued at the idea of being royalty. That was why I’m here right now instead of him.”

“P-Prince?” Tiffany brought her head up. “You were a prince?”

“How else would I have had the priority to get myself here?” Luhan questioned her. “N-No one else knows about this except for you, by the way… excluding the other Luhan, of course.”

“And you want me to keep it a secret?” The girl caught on to his words. “Of course. You kept mine, didn’t you?”

“But this still doesn’t explain why you pretended not to know me when I was in Seoul that day.” Tiffany continued, her tone of disappointment.

“I… I couldn’t believe that it was you.” Luhan pursed his lips together. “Would you, if you were me? When all you wanted to do was to get away from a girl you know you can never bring happiness to?”

“N-No.”

“My thoughts, exactly.”

“But don’t you miss home? Your parents? Your people?” Tiffany leaned towards the man in curiosity.

“I’ll be lying if I said I didn’t.”

The girl who was once frowning broke into a smile, her hands reaching out for something in her handbag.

“Here.” She passed him a ticket. “You should have this, then.”

“E-Earth II ticket? No!” Luhan pushed the ticket firmly into her hands instead. “I can’t. Jongin gave it to you, so you have to go.”

“Jongin will understand. Besides, you said you missed your family!”

“I lived without them all these years, didn’t I? I’m used to it.” Luhan pointed out before admitting softly. “But I wasn’t able to live without you, noona. I… I don’t care if you don’t feel the same way. I just need to be where you are, that’s all.”

“T-There might always be another Tiffany there.” The girl tried to change the man’s mind. “You’d be okay, I swear.”

“I won’t. I don’t even know if the other Tiffany exists. Besides, she won’t be you, even though you might look the same and everything. She can never be who you are, noona.”

“And are you really trying to get rid of me so badly?” He continued, dejection hinting through his voice. “I… I’ll go if you really hate me so much.”

“I can never hate you, Luhan.” Tiffany placed her hands on his. “Not after what you went through for me, so stay.”

Luhan looked up and the girl saw how the tears had clouded his once tired eyes. Though he was sobbing, she saw how bright his eyes seemed as compared to when he walked into the café just now.

“I will, noona. I will.”