Equuleus

Another Earth

“So what do you usually do during training?”

“Some minor brain exercises. Trying to remember which card belongs to which pair and such.”

“T-That’s good.”

“Not really, noona. I wished the doctor would let me move on to the major exercises.”

“Like what?”

“Like trying to restore my memory. It’s bothering me greatly.”

“O-oh.”

“Yeah oh. Anyway, I’m just glad that you’re here with me today.”

“Me too, Kai. Me too.”

-

“I want you to close your eyes.” The doctor commanded the man gently. “Tell me. What do you see?”

“Darkness?” Kai snickered.

“Funny, Kai, funny indeed. Really now. What do you see?”

“I see… a bright light.”

“Anything else?”

“…Noona. I see noona.” The man opened his eyes and turned to face the girl to his right.

The uncomfortable shifting of her eyes didn’t went unnoticed and Kai sighed while he proceeded to improve his fragile memories again.

-

“So are there any improvements?” The girl asked inquisitively to the man before her.

“What do you think? After all, you were by his side during training today, weren’t you?”

“I think he is. But I’m not really sure. And you are the doctor after all or else why would I even ask you?”

“My my. So sensitive. Well yes. His memories are definitely returning to him, pieces by pieces.”

“…I see.”

“And if I remember correctly, you were the one who brought him to this hospital that night, weren’t you?”

“What does that have to do with anything?” Her voice was loud and defensive.

“I’m not one to pry with one’s personal lives but I think it’d be best if he knows the details of his accident before he actually remembers it.” The doctor said.

That is of course, if you do know of the details.” He added sneakily. “Well, I have to go now. Do keep an eye on Kai, Tiffany ssi.”

-

“Hmm, Kai?” Tiffany asked absent-mindedly, her eyes drifting into empty space.

“What is it noona?”

The man immediately sat up straight on his hospital bed, his ears straining to listen to the girl sitting at a corner of the room.

“Your memories… how much of it do you remember?”

“Quite little.” He smiled sheepishly.

“How little?”

“Erm, I just remembered a car crashing down on me, that’s all. Why’d you ask?”

“…I’m just trying to keep in check of your recovery.”

“O-Oh. That explains it.”

“Explains what?”

“Why you’re so… worried and all.”

“Am I?” Her head snapped up at this new thought.

“S-So you aren’t? Y-you weren’t worried for me?”

“I w-was.” The girl sighed. “But I didn’t know I made it so obvious.”

“I l-like it t-to be obvious, noona.”

The man grinned innocently to his companion and she returned it reluctantly. Oh how was she to tell him she worried for the wrong reasons?

“Jongin ah.” Tiffany took a deep breath. Maybe it was time to tell him what really happened.

“Yeah?”

“Your accident…”

“Hello everyone!” Barged in a particular man who seemed like he woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.

“Luhan!” so much for being determined, the girl sighed.

“Hyung!” Kai exclaimed. “You seem happy today!”

“I am! Guess what happened?”

“What?!” The duo spoke at the same time; one in excitement and the other in sheer annoyance.

“Something came in the mail today… and it was addressed to Kim Jongin.” Luhan winked. “Here, take a look.”

The man handed the other an envelope which was already open. Kai shook his head at how indiscreet s were but continued reading the contents of the paper anyway. His eye flickered from confusion to excitement and he finally looked up with an unbelieving stare.

“What? What did it say?” The girl went to grab the letter.

“I’ve been selected… to Earth II!”

“You have a week to write back if you’re still interested.” Luhan beamed to . “I’m pretty sure that you would be so I was thinking if I should have a talk with the doctor.”

“You should go!” Tiffany urged the man. “It’s what you always wanted.”

“I should, shouldn’t I?” Hesitation was evident in his voice.

“Imagine all the beautiful things you get to see there!” Yes, the girl was definitely more excited than the man.

“I’m pretty sure that it’s almost identical to our Earth though, noona.” Luhan added casually.

Oh, was he going to pretend their conversation didn’t took place yesterday and act all normal and Luhan-like? What an -

“But it’s still wonderful. To be able to go into space and perhaps even meet someone who’s just like me.” Kai interrupted the girl’s thoughts.

“My thoughts exactly!” Tiffany grinned. “You shouldn’t pass this opportunity Kai. It only comes once.”

“B-But you wanted to go too, right noona?”

“…Yeah, but I didn’t got accepted.”

“What if… What if I gave you my tickets?”

“Don’t be ridiculous!” The girl shouted. “This ticket is for you and you only. Don’t give it to anyone else, all right?”

Kai nodded his head reluctantly, his heart still contemplating. But Tiffany wanted to go too, right? Why wouldn’t she just allow him to give her his tickets? Why couldn’t she just take it in her stride that he cared about what she thought of him?

“Well, I’m going to head off first. When I do come back later at night, I want a definite answer if you’re going. To which I’m putting very high expectations that you will. All right?” Tiffany warned the young man.

“What are you? His mother?” Luhan chuckled.

If she could strangle him for trying to act like nothing happened with her, she would. But she rather not seeing how she’d be convicted for murder. In fact, the man was trying too hard. Who was he fooling? But like all good little girls would, Tiffany smiled and played along.

“Maybe I am.” She joked. “See you guys around.”

Tiffany headed out of the small room and down to the cafeteria. Maybe she should get something to quench her thirst for a little while. Imagine her surprise when she saw a man with ihis oh so noticeable eyeliner contemplating at which fruit juice to buy.

“Baekhyun!”

The man turned around to find the familiar voice grinning wide at him.

“Oh noona, hi! Leaving so soon?”

“Yeah, but I’m coming back later. I didn’t know you would come here so early.”

“Neither did I.” Baekhyun smiled sheepishly before taking notice of Tiffany’s clothes. “You look extra nice today, noona. Where are you going?”

“A date!” She smiled excitedly but upon seeing the solemn reaction of her companion, she frowned. “I was joking.”

“O-Oh. That’s good.” He laughed, obviously embarrassed that he was played.

“I don’t know why I took an effort to look nice today, too.”

In actual fact, she did know why she dressed up today. But it would be weird to tell the man of her reasons.

“Doesn’t change the fact that you still look beautiful.” Baekhyun complimented the blushing girl. “But silk is really your style, noona. The material really suits you.”

“T-Thanks?”

“But want to know what other material looks good on you?”

“What?”

“Me.”

The girl laughed at that response, bewildered at the tacky remarks he made.

“Let me guess. It is because you’re a boyfriend material?”

“Aww, noona! You were supposed to let me say that, or it wouldn’t have been a pick up line!”

“Too late!” Tiffany stuck out her tongue.

The man stopped in his playful antics, his cheeks tinted pink from her reaction.

“D-Don’t do that.”

“Do what?” Yes, Tiffany was confused as to what she did wrong.

“Don’t stick out your tongue like that. It… it looks cute when you do it.”

“Ahah! Falling into my charms now are you?” The girl teased the man, poking him in his cheeks.

Baekhyun then swiftly grabbed her hands and placed it on his waist; his hands then proceeding to cup her face. The sudden move had the girl blushing as red as a tomato and she found herself avoiding his eye contact.

“Look who’s talking.” The man smirked before letting the girl go. “Well, noona. It’s been nice… to play.

Tiffany turned redder and the man can’t help but chuckle at the girl’s sudden surge of introversion.

“I’ll see you later, I presume?” He asked the girl who nodded furiously as her answer.

As he left, Tiffany found herself in an awkward position as all the other patrons in the cafeteria continued to stare at her. Way to go for just grabbing a drink and leave. As if being embarrassed in front of Baekhyun wasn’t enough, she was now the object of envy of the other female visitors. Way to go Tiffany!

And can someone remind her again why she was flirting with the man? The girl inwardly groaned at that thought as she proceeded to leave the cafeteria. So much for being subtle with her feelings, Tiffany heaved a sigh. And of course, so much for being wary of him all these while.

For yes, as ridiculous as it may sound, it was the truth.

Tiffany Hwang Mi Young was falling for Byun Baekhyun.