Chapter 5

Running Out of Time

 

“I’m sorry Hoon.”

“Nana? Wait a second.” Hoon questioned the silence on the other end of the phone. “What do you mean you’re sorry?” He yelled in a panic. “Crap,” he sighed. He fell backward on to his bed after letting his phone drop to the floor. He stared at the ceiling, letting his emotions run through his head, he didn’t know if he should be sad or angry. Nana was the first girl he truly wanted to be with. The first girl he would protect if it meant sacrificing his life. He flipped over onto his stomach and started pounding his fists and flaring his leggings, like a little five year olds temper tantrum, while yelling into his sheets.

*knock knock*

“Hyung, are you ok?” Kevin whispered while Dongho and he entered Hoon’s room. Hoon just kept his face buried. “Is Nana ok?” asked Dongho. “Is everything all right?” They sat down next to him waiting for an answer.

“Mur mur murururur mur mur,” Hoon mumbled into his sheet. “What?” Dongho looked at him funny, “You’re acting like a five year old, knock it off and act your age.” “Mur mur mur mur murururur mur mur mur,” he mumbled again. “Seriously sit up. I’m the youngest here I should be the one acting like a child over a girl, not you Hoon.” Dongho replied back in a strict tone. Kevin just patted Hoon’s back to comfort him. Hoon lifted his face, “I said ‘I don’t understand girls, they just play with our heart and crush them.’” Several tears ran down his face.

“What man does understand girls Hoon?” Kevin purposed this question for Hoon to ponder on. “What exactly did she say over the phone?” Hoon just hid his face into his sheets again. He started to reflect on what Nana had said. He lifted his head back up, “She was acting really strange over the phone, like she was trying to hide something from me. All she said really was “I don’t think it would work out’ and ‘I’m sorry.’” Kevin sat there thinking of an answer to give to Hoon, “Have you thought maybe that she might be in a difficult position right now, like she has family problems, or maybe a crazy ex-boyfriend, and she doesn’t want to see you get tangled up into it. So that way it won’t mess up your friendship in the future?”

“But I don’t want to be stuck in her friend-zone forever; I want her to be mine, my one and only. I don’t care if she has a crazy ex, I can protect her from him, and if she is having family problems I can be there to support her through it.” Kevin could feel the tension starting to ease as Hoon let his feelings out. “Well she did come from America. Girls over there handle situations differently, than the ones here in Korea do,” Kevin’s sweet, loving voice that was filled with wisdom helped Hoon cool down. He knew Kevin was right; girls from different countries do treat these kinds of situations differently. Hoon finally sat up so he could actually talk face to face with Kevin and Dongho.

“But, yet if she was having relationship problems why would she agree to go out on a date with Dongho?” Hoon questioned Kevin. “It’s an apology dinner, it’s not a real date,” Dongho blurted out. “So she should have nothing to worry about if she is having relationship problems.” He added on. “You know what I just realized?” Kevin started; Hoon and Dongho looked at him while waiting for him to answer his own question. “We don’t know anything about her past, or her family, she is a part of the U-Kiss family now. She knows everything about us, but we know very little about her.” “True, should I get some details on Nana while we are out?” Dongho brought up the idea. “I got a better idea,” Hoon stated while getting off his bed, the other two followed him.

“AJ!” Hoon yelled down the hallway, “We need your help with something!” AJ popped his head out of his room, “Shhh… people are trying to sleep you idiots.” “Sorry, but we need something now,” Hoon said as he walked to AJ’s room. “What do you need?” He questioned them, “If it’s something simple I can work on it later in the morning.” “I need a hair bow with a camera and microphone built into.” Hoon replied back. AJ looked at him cockeyed, “Yeah, I’ll do that later, what time you need it?”  “Around one or so,” Dongho got the hint at what Hoon was getting at.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dongho carried a box with the special hair bow in it to Nana’s door. He rang the doorbell, no answer. ‘hmmm, shouldn’t she be up by now?’ He thought to himself. He rang the doorbell again, still no answer. “Well she should be home,” he whispered to himself. “Maybe she leaves a spare key somewhere.” He started looking in the plant next to her door, above the doorframe, and then he found it under the welcome mat. He unlocked the door and entered.

He looked around her apartment building. It was a mess dishes piled up in the sink, shoes scattered the front door entrance, and blankets and pillows thrown across the room. ‘I thought women were supposed to be a lot cleaner than men.’ he walked into the living room, ‘looks like someone has been sleep here, I wonder who?’ he made the comment in his head while analyzing the couch. He then made his way down the hallway. One door had a large ‘N’ on it and the other one across from it with a large ‘T.’ “She must live with a roommate of some sort,” he whispered to make sure not to disturb anyone who was sleeping.

He lightly knocks on the door with the ‘N’ on it before entering. Dongho pokes his head in to check the room; there he saw Nana sprawled out on her bed still wearing the clothes that she left the gym in last night. He entered the room and tripped over her messy floor. “Gosh, she definably isn’t like any normal girl I know” He said still in a whispered tone, while getting off the floor. He tried to make his way to her vanity to set the box down, once he did so he made his way to her bed. He leaned over her to see her dreaming face, “Omo, she’s so cute when she’s sleeping.” ‘No wonder Hoon has feelings for her, she so adorable once you get to see her softer side,’ he kept the comment to himself, while poking her nose. She kept her eyes shut while moving her blanket over her face to hide it. He chuckled at her actions, he knew she half-awake now, so he spoke up, “Yah~ you need to clean your room.”