Chapter 4

Running Out of Time

 

“Hello?”

“Hey, Nana, it’s Hoon,” he replied. Your eyes widened at the sound of his voice. Your mind started to race and butterflies filled you stomach.

“H-hi Hoon,” you tried to speak. “D-do you need something?” you couldn’t keep your thoughts straight. You kept wondering what this feeling was, you have never felt it before.

“No, just wanted to check on you,” you could tell by his tone of voice he was smirking. “I feel really bad for slamming you into a wall and all.” He paused. “Also Dongho says he has been texting for a couple hours now and he’s not receiving any replies back. He is really worried because he thought he saw someone in the back of your car. I don’t know what that’s about but he wanted me to call to check on you. He is such a baby when it comes to talking on the phone.” He laughed at the last part to take away the tension.

You giggled, “Children of my generation. And no, no one was in my car. He must have been seeing things, know it’s late and there are always lights bouncing and creating shadows.” You tried to cover up the lie. “Also you slamming me into the wall, I think it knocked me back into reality.” You said hoping he would get off the subject of Taemin being in your car.

“Well, you know what I said earlier, I meant it.” You stopped breathing when he said that, it felt like your heart was about to burst. “I really do care about you, and I don’t want to see you get hurt by someone. I want you all to myself.”

“I don’t know how to reply,” you finally spoke after a long pause. “I don’t know if it would work out, Hoon.” You wanted to cry when you said these words, you really cared for Hoon, and now knowing his feeling towards you it broke your heart that he couldn’t know the truth, that you really work for his enemies, and to top it off that your brother is SHINee’s maknae, Taemin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You can’t leave SM if your life depended on it. Taemin and you have too many family ties to leave SM at all. In each generation of the Lee family one member is chosen to be a spy for SM, but there was great potential for you and your brother. Your father trained the both of you, to go against your cousins for the position, but with your mother’s health decreasing, your father didn’t want to see you two split up if something happened to him, he tried his best to make you two a team, never to be separated, that’s why you and Taemin have more than a brother-sister bond keeping you to together, it was like you were one. Not long after the death of your mother, your father went missing. Taemin was sixteen and you were fourteen at the time. Against your father’s wishes, you had to move to America and be separated from Taemin. You and him continued your training to be the best spies you both could be, you didn’t leave Taemin completely though. You both kept in contact, emailing each other back and forth. When finally the completion against your family arrived, you were determined to make your father’s wish for one of his children to be the chosen one. Even though your father was a disgrace to his family now, abandoning his children, you and Taemin were looked down on and treated like crap by your grandparents. You and Taemin rose to the top, defeating each one of your cousins. When the time came for you to go against your brother in the final round, your grandfather stop the battle and said, “These two children cannot go against each other, they are siblings bonded together to make a team. They together are the chosen family member.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

“I’m sorry Hoon.” Where the last word you said to him before hanging up. You had a long day ahead of you, but you cried yourself to sleep that night. Wishing and dreaming that Hoon could know everything about your family and your past, but that would make things very difficult no matter what.

You woke up that morning to someone poking your face. You tried hiding your face thinking it was just a dream until you heard someone speak. “Yah, you need to clean up your room Nana, it’s a pigs sty.” The voice laughed. You opened your eyes to find Dongho in your room.

“Hey how did you get into my room? More importantly, how did you get into my house?” you yelled at him. Rubbing the sleepiness from your eyes, you sat up in your bed. You really hope that this all was a dream.

“Oh, don’t you know almost every one leaves a spare key under their door mat?” he laughed out loud. “Also I took a wild guess on which room was yours since it had a giant ‘N’ on it you know.” He sat down on your bed facing you and smiling. You looked at him with half lidded eyes. He studied your face. “Did you cry yourself to sleep last night? Your eyes are pretty puffy and red this afternoon.”

“Afternoon, what time is it?” you questioned his phrasing.

“Almost 2, but seriously did you cry last night before going to bed? Did Hoon say something last night that was out of line? I know I asked him to call you and all.”

‘Good Taemin should be out of the house by now, or at least in his bed and not asleep on the couch,’ you thought to yourself before replying to his question. “No, he didn’t say anything out of line. It’s just kind of difficult to talk about right now.”  You replied to him, with a smirk. “Well I guess I better be getting ready for our date.”