Fin

Playing for His Heart

 

 

A soft jazz played in the background of the bustling café, setting a calm atmosphere amidst the crowded environment. The aroma of coffee and sugar from the pastries was so strong that it could be smelt from outside, drifting in the warm Seoul air.

Minseok and Jongdae were busy behind the counters, taking customers’ orders and what not. The work wasn’t that strenuous though, for they had nabbed Tao as a part timer, now that he was in college. Tao was thoroughly enjoying his job, and the attention that came with it from the female customers (something his boyfriend disliked very much).

In a sense, one could say that the lives of the eleven men connected to the coffee shop were at a….calm. In fact, it was more or less a lull due to routine. No surprises had arisen since, which was in part, beneficial for one…..

Sehun sat in the corner of the café, bent over a book for one of his classes he was currently taking at the university. It was only 2 months into his business management class and the teacher was speeding by in the course at a chapter per week. The fast-paced speed was nerve-wracking for Sehun, which is exactly why a routine was needed to keep him somewhat sane as he juggled three other courses.

Sehun sighed lightly in frustration and let his book lie flat on the table. His eyes drifted across the room, scanning unfamiliar faces that were illuminated by the scattering rays of light. It’s no use, he thought, and shut the book promptly. What was no use? The studying? No. Sehun wished that the only thing he was frustrated with was the studying. What frustrated him was that after all this time, he was still unconsciously searching the room, looking for a particular someone.

He ran his fingers along the edge of his coffee cup, feeling the smooth porcelain rim against the pads of his fingers. He looked down at the milky brown contents and saw staring back at him two large, dark eyes. Sehun abruptly looked away. It was ridiculous since one couldn’t obviously see their reflection in a cup of coffee, and what was incredulous was that they were those large, doe-like eyes that he had not seen since 6 months ago.

He saw Luhan everywhere. He never saw the blonde in full, mirage-like form, but would always see bits and pieces.  A prime example was the eyes, just now. He would sometimes see the top of his head, bobbing towards him in a crowd when he clearly wasn’t there. Or even hear his voice, in soft, feather-like whispers in the night. It was frustrating to Sehun since to him it felt like Luhan would never leave.

Sehun never bothered to search up Luhan on the media. He figured that would make the separation worse. His friends, as well, never spoke of him to Sehun. Sehun did think though, that some of his friends – like Baekhyun and Kyungsoo – were still following Luhan’s happenings through the media.

Would Luhan even ever return to South Korea, let alone Seoul? Sehun didn’t bother himself with the idea. All he knew was that if he ever found out that the blonde had indeed returned, he wasn’t going to go looking for him. It was time to move on…

Sehun reached for the book again and opened it up to where he left off.

He didn’t know how much later – moments, minutes, hours – but while Sehun still sat there, another figure decided to appear in front of him. Sehun, thinking it was just another customer looking for a place to sit in the packed café, peered up from his book, and readied to allow the person to sit if they wished.

But the person sat down without even asking. When Sehun saw exactly who it was, he no longer felt annoyed. He now felt slightly panicked, anxious, insecure, surprised…..relieved?

“Hi.”

This time, the voice was real. Sehun tuned out everything around him to focus on the handsome, blonde-haired, big-eyed man who sat right across from him. Luhan hadn’t changed…..not one bit. Sehun’s eyes roamed the other’s face in silence. It was undeniable that he missed him.

“Hi,” Sehun murmured in return.

Luhan’s eyes narrowed for a split second before leaning forward and letting a soft smile curl on his face.

“I noticed you from across the room and just had to come over to introduce myself. Hi, I’m Lu Han, professional soccer player,” he stuck out his hand, and waited for Sehun to do the same in return.

Sehun stared at him, wondering if he was for real. Luhan simply raised one eyebrow, and stared right back at him levelly. It dawned on Sehun – he was posing a second chance…..

“Oh Sehun,” He stuck out his hand in return and grasped Luhan’s firmly. Sehun’s stomach rattled with butterflies with the way Luhan looked at their hands with a certain gentleness about him. He squeezed Sehun’s hand and let go slowly, letting his fingers trail down the inside of Sehun’s wrist before placing his hand back in his lap.

“Well, Sehun,” Luhan rattled off flirtatiously, “I’d just like to put it out there that I happen to have a thing for younger and devilishly attractive guys…..”

Sehun chuckled, “It’s your lucky day then…. ‘Cause I happen to have a thing for athletic, older men….”

“Go on a date with me,” Luhan replied instantaneously.

Sehun nodded, “Alright.”

Luhan’s face turned somber. He placed his elbows on the table and grabbed Sehun’s hand to take it between the two of his. He looked down in silence for a moment, before locking eyes with Sehun again.

“Thank you,” Luhan said with genuine emotion and sincerity, “for giving me….. a chance.”

Sehun blinked away the rising tears and placed his hand over theirs, and leaned forward across the table to meet Luhan halfway.

“No,” Sehun said softly, “thank you.” He lifted his head and instinctually placed a kiss on Luhan’s forehead.

Yes, there had been hurt and sorrow, they both couldn’t forget that. But what they both couldn’t deny was that there was something between them that was real. With any luck, Sehun hoped that Luhan felt the same way. And from the looks of it, he probably did. 

 

 

* Epilogue under construction......*