Wandering

Playing for His Heart

A/N: Sorry about the awkward lay out of the story, guys. Whenever I paste it into the body, it seems to unformat my work! Anyways, thanks for keeping up the support, it's greatly appreciated. 

 

Wu Fan rapped on Sehun’s apartment door later that night. Baekhyun opened it for him, and let him inside.

“Is he ready?” Wu Fan asked. He didn’t remove his shoes or jacket.

Baekhyun closed the door and turned to Wu Fan with a raised eyebrow, “Ready..?”

“He and I are going out,” It was now Wu Fan’s turn to be confused. He paused, “he didn’t tell you, did he?”

“No,” Baekhyun shook his head, “Nothing.”

“Where is he now?”

“He went out to the convenience store,” The unsure tone of Baekhyun’s voice brought up red flags to Wu Fan.

“When?”

“About an hour ago…?”

Wu Fan shook his head and bit his lip. He gave Baekhyun a look, “He’s not coming back.”

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

No one paid attention to the figure curled up on the ground. Since it was busy around this time of day, those who passed by figured he was waiting for someone. Also, no one really wanted to approach the gloomy and dark character.

Sehun rolled back, resting his body against the pillar. He observed the people go by, but he wasn’t exactly watching them. There was too much going on in his head for him to even be able to register what was going on around him. He couldn’t even hear the female voice over the intercom calling for boarding flights.

Why am I even here, thought Sehun. He sighed and ran a hand through his hair. He had lied to Baekhyun about going to the convenience store. There was just a need to get out, and get away from everything. He actually didn’t even know where he was going to go, but somehow ended  up here. But the airport, out of all places…?

His phone was still buzzing in his pocket. It had been continuously after a while on the road. Sehun didn’t bother to pick it out of his pocket and look at the caller ID. He knew it was probably one of his friends, and he didn’t want to be found, at least not just yet. He needed to be alone, even if only for a few hours.

There was a part of him that felt bad for leaving, since he knew that Wu Fan was waiting for him. The older was only trying to help, but Sehun figured that even Wu Fan couldn’t help him in this situation. Sehun just couldn’t face Luhan, he just couldn’t.

While there was a part of him that couldn’t bear to see him, there was also another part of him that had a desperate, longing urge to see the blonde one last time. Will you ever see him again, Sehun thought. Would Luhan ever come back to Korea? There were so many questions that he wanted answered, but he couldn’t conjure the mettle to face him.

There was also a thought in his head, as to how he would live without Luhan. Sehun had thought of so many kinds of possible scenarios, and all were likely. Sehun could, simply, never date again. Like in so many dramas and novels, there have been story plots of men and women who go about the rest of their lives without a partner after losing another. Then again, Sehun could always try to date. A man, a woman? He didn’t even know. He was never that attracted to anyone – also taking into consideration that he’s only 17 – until he met Luhan, and Sehun wasn’t the type to go and just date a person for the sake of dating. He did fancy himself with the idea once or twice though. Jong In did know a lot of other singles….

No, Sehun shook his head, he couldn’t fool himself. He checked the time on the clock – midnight. How long had it been since he had left the house? God only knew….

Feeling exhausted mentally and physically, Sehun closed his eyes, and drifted asleep.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A hand shaking him roughly disrupted Sehun’s deep slumber. His eyes shot open and he looked around frantically. An older man with thinning hair was squatting in front of him. He gave Sehun a concerned look, and rose.

“You ok son?” The man asked.

Sehun embarrassedly nodded and sat up. He didn’t even realize he had slipped into a sleeping position on the cold linoleum floor.

“You’ve been here for hours, so…” The man shrugged slightly, “Well,” And with that the man walked over to his cart and rolled off. Sehun watched the janitor go before checking the clock. A nervous pang hit him in the stomach – it was 4 in the morning! A wave of anxious thoughts hit him, how his friends must be so worried, and how he was so lucky that no one had taken advantage of him. But, those thoughts easily subsided. I should probably go home, Sehun said to himself.

Sehun got up from the floor and stretched out his stiff arms and legs. With a yawn, he looked at his surroundings. Where, was he…? He wasn’t even in a place of the airport he knew about. His unfocused self must’ve wandered him here last night. There were no signs as to where to go to leave, so Sehun chose randomly to go left.

There was practically no one at the airport at this time. There were mainly businessmen and women who had to catch red eyes to be in the office early in the morning, and also flight attendants and pilots. He felt especially bad for one flyer, however. The poor guy was so tired that he nearly fell over while walking.

As Sehun walked further down the strip, he realized that the gate numbers were increasing with each one he passed. He wasn’t going the right way. Turning on his heel, Sehun positioned himself in the other direction, but he froze. The person in front of him did as well.

The other had his passport and boarding ticket in one hand, his suitcase in the other. There was nothing else in his hands or on his back. He bit his lower lip and fidgeted in place. Luhan couldn’t say a word.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“God dammit!” Jong In kicked the nearest wall as he stalked down the streets of Seoul. Chanyeol merely sighed and patiently trucked along.

“Where the could he be?” Jong In growled, “I swear, once I get my hands on this kid, I’m gonna…”

Chanyeol tuned him out. It had been four hours since the gang had begun looking for Sehun. Everyone’s patience was wearing thin, and obviously, for some, quicker than others. Each person was grouped off into pairs, with one group of three. They had tackled the main districts of Seoul where Sehun would usually be found, but their efforts were fruitless.

Chanyeol spotted Baekhyun and Wu Fan at the end of the street. He called out to them, and the four met up on the corner.

“Nothing?” Chanyeol frowned.

Baekhyun shook his head sadly. Wu Fan scanned the area across the street with his hands resting on his hips. They had all thought of every possible place Sehun might have gone, and asked everyone they had seen passing by on the street. However, a certain object passed by Wu Fan’s vision, and it clicked instantly.

A white, square van passed by with the lettering “Incheon Airport” written on the side. Wu Fan smacked his forehead and mumbled to himself. How could he have not thought of that?

“I know exactly where he is,” Wu Fan gritted his teeth.

“Huh?” Baekhyun flashed over to his side.

“Tell everyone to go home,” Wu Fan sighed and moved towards the edge of the sidewalk to hail a cab, “I’ll go get him.”

“No,” Chanyeol said firmly and grabbed Wu Fan’s arm. Wu Fan gave him a surprised look. Chanyeol was never this authoritative, “We’re all going with you.”

Baekhyun and Jong In nodded in agreement. They were all going to see their Sehunnie.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The two sat down next to each other at a table in the food court. Sehun, before his mind was able to connect to his mouth, had uttered, “Let’s talk.” To his surprise, Luhan agreed, and here the two were, sitting down in the empty square. Never in his wildest dreams, did Sehun think that he’d run in to Luhan here. Sure, he knew that Luhan was leaving today, but this had to be a coincidence.

“So,” Sehun began. Luhan looked towards him, and Sehun instantly lost all confidence. The words died on his tongue. A pause went between them, and Luhan seemed to know what Sehun was trying to say. Luhan thought back to what Wu Fan had said, and spoke:

“The head coach called me that night,” Sehun knew what Luhan meant.

“And,” Sehun fidgeted, “they want you to come back,” the words sunk in his stomach like a rock.

“Only for a training camp,” Luhan added, “Just to assess me, and everything. He and the staff have been monitoring my play in Seoul, and decided to call me up. There aren’t any promises for me, but…”

“That’s great,” Sehun congratulated, but his tone of voice was anything but happy. Luhan nodded,

“Thanks.”

The silence resumed. There was so much Sehun wanted to say, but couldn’t find the words to express it. That, and they were in a public place. Their conversation would have to be low and controlled so there wouldn’t be a chance of getting the paparazzi involved. Another glance at Sehun caused Luhan to speak again,

“I over reacted.” Those three words caused hope to swell within Sehun. He locked eyes with Luhan again, wishing that all would be well, “when I came to you,” that hope zapped away quickly. Luhan wasn’t forgiving him just yet.

“And I apologize for that,” Luhan said somewhat formally. He hadn’t bothered with the honorifics, but his tone of speech was very controlled, “I wasn’t in any place to force myself on you like that.”

“No,” Sehun disagreed, “you didn’t over react. It was called for. I mean,” He remembered the tale Luhan had told him when the two were in his apartment, reflecting on his past, “after all you went through.”

Luhan sat there guiltily. Even though he had flat out rejected Sehun in the worst way possible, the younger was still there, consoling him. He didn’t deserve that.

“I didn’t know how to tell you,” Luhan bit back the emotion creeping into his voice, “I mean, I hadn’t even decided if I was going to go, but-”

“And I guess I sort of decided it for you, didn’t I?” Sehun cut in. It was like a slap on the face, even though he didn’t intend for it to be.

“But,” Sehun went on, “I would’ve told you to go, anyways.”

Why, Luhan wondered. Didn’t they promise each other to never be separated? Didn’t Sehun want to be at his side? Was he going to, give him up…? Luhan wanted to yell out in frustration. You should be hating him, Luhan internally berated himself. He lied to you! But……his love for Sehun couldn’t be fooled.

“Playing with the national team,” Sehun stated, “is a really high honor. I mean, I’m just a kid. Who am I, to tell you to turn down that offer? You love soccer, and I should be supportive of you, no matter what,” His voice shook nearing the end. Sehun placed a fist to his mouth and coughed.

Luhan’s broken heart swelled. Sehun was such a romantic idiot, and he didn’t even realize it.

“I think,” Luhan swallowed, “I need some time.”

Sehun nodded understandingly. Even though they hadn’t officially broken up, both of them knew that it was called for. Anyways, the situation the other day felt like a break up.

“Then, umm,” Sehun’s eyes pricked with tears, “I’ll be here,” he hesitantly reached a hand out, and placed it on Luhan’s knee. The flesh of Luhan’s leg burned beneath his hand, and it relieved him when the blonde didn’t shirk away, “when you come back.”

“Sehun,” Luhan said unsteadily. It made both their hearts pound to hear Sehun’s name roll off Luhan’s tongue, “I don’t know when I’ll be back. If I do well, I’ll probably stay to play in some friendlies, and then-”

“Don’t think about me,” Sehun again, interrupted the rant he knew was going to come, “think about yourself. I’ll be fine. I mean, I’m a boring stick in the mud; the ladies won’t be coming after me.”

Luhan released a breathy laugh, and Sehun smiled. Luhan locked his eyes with Sehun’s, and placed his hand on top of the one on his knee.

“Ok,” Luhan nodded, tears in his eyes as well.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“Where the is the ing gate?” Jong In yelled, running full speed down the strip.

“Watch your mouth!” Kyungsoo yelled after him, not too far from Jong In’s heels.

“How do you know he’s there?” Jongdae asked Wu Fan as he jogged alongside him, “Shouldn’t we be splitting up?”

“He’s definitely at Luhan’s gate,” Wu Fan responded, “That kid probably wandered towards the gate without even realizing it.”

Just as the group turned the corner, they found the evasive Oh Sehun. He was walking back from the gate, where he had just seen Luhan off. The moment Jong In laid eyes on his friend, he lunged straight for him and put him in a headlock.

“You little !” Jong In growled, “do you have any idea how worried we were!”

“Jong In!” Minseok came sprinting to Sehun’s side, “let him go!”

Sehun’s face started to turn a light shade of blue, and his eyes were beginning to pop from his head. Chanyeol, who noticed this, ripped Jong In off of Sehun. Sehun fell to the ground, gasping for air like a fish on his hands and knees.

“Hi, guys,” Sehun rasped out. Baekhyun just let out a cry and fell to the ground, grabbing Sehun in a tight hug. Sehun wrapped his arms around Baekhyun in return, trying to calm his friend down. Once Baekhyun had finished his episode, the two rose from the floor.

“What happened?” Tao inquired, “Did you…”

Sehun glanced out the window to his right. A smaller jet was just then closing up, and rolling back from the docking site. He looked back, and studied the faces of all his friends, who were anxiously awaiting his reply. Sehun smiled and put one foot forward, walking away from the gate. He didn’t know what was going to happen, and how, but Sehun was going to take it one day at a time.