Side Stepping the Situation

Playing for His Heart

A/N: Hi guys, I'm so sorry for not updating this story, since I can see that it has so many followers. Fortunately, I should be able to make updates 1 to 2 weeks at a time, so please be patient! I'm very grateful that you all have hung in! 

 

            The sun was setting over the Seoul skyline, setting the tall buildings in a shadow. The orange rays from the bright orb that was slowly disappearing barely touched the citizens cruising on the sidewalk. Minseok was inside the café, helping Jongdae close up shop. It was a quiet day, but very normal overall.

            Sehun sat at one of the tables, his back against the wall that was covered in mocha colored wallpaper. He stared down at his hands that were playing with a straw cover, tearing it and tying it. Jong In, who had been mopping the floor, noticed Sehun. The younger’s expression, to him, seemed different. Jong In set the mop down against a table and went over to Sehun.

            “Hey,” Jong In greeted and slid into the seat next to Sehun.

            “Hey,” Sehun briefly looked up and set the paper straw covering down.

            “What’s up, you look gloomy,”

            “Nothing much,” Sehun lightly sighed.

            “Really?” Jong In replied. A moment’s silence passed, and then he commented, “You know, you’ve been more quiet since a couple days ago. After you spent the night at Luhan’s.”

            “Yeah,” Sehun was quick to admit, “You see, I um,” Sehun felt his neck turn hot, “I told Luhan I loved him.”

            A smile broke out on Jong In’s face, “Aish,” He ruffled the younger’s hair, “That’s all it was? You should be exuding rainbows of joy and ! Did he say it back?”

            “Yeah,” Sehun bashfully smiled.

            “Ah,” Jong In stretched back in his chair, “I remember when Kyunggie told me he loved me. Like it was yesterday.”

            “Really?” Sehun was interested, “When? How?”

            “Well,” Jong In begun. A serene expression with nostalgic eyes overcame his features. It was different from the loud and lewd personality Sehun was so used to.

            “It was freshman year of college, the hours before final exams actually. He and I were in the library, really early in the morning, so everyone was sleeping. I was so tired, and Kyungsoo was trying to help me study the last minute so I wouldn’t flunk,”

            Sehun knew how hard it was for Jong In to juggle his modeling career and school at the same time. The older often missed school so much that one of his teachers didn’t even know his name. Sehun didn’t know how Jong In managed to pass all of his classes with what little time he had, but Jong In always managed to pull out the grade.

            “He was the only thing keeping me awake, and he knew that I would rather sleep than study, even if it meant failing,” A crooked smile slithered on, and he connected eyes with Sehun, “And Kyungsoo looked straight at me, and said, ‘You have to stay awake, Jong In. You need to pass. I love you so, do it for me.’ Needless to say I took him then and there in the library.”

            Sehun blushed heavily, “What if someone had seen?!”

            “I wouldn’t have cared,” Jong In laughed, “Duh.”

            “Of course,” Sehun scoffed jokingly.

            “But congrats,” Jong In rose from his seat so he could continue to mop, “I’ll make sure to tell Jongdae so he can get started on those HunHan shirts.”

            “Don’t,” Sehun paled.

            “Oh Jongdae~” Jong In sang, picked up his mop, and went prancing over to his friend. 

            “Those two,” Sehun sighed as he saw Jong In explain everything to Jongdae in the corner. Jongdae’s expression shifted to one of mischief as he listened to Jong In reel off his tale, and he looked over to Sehun and flashed him a thumbs up.

            As Minseok was rolling down the blinds on the windows, a face smacked on the glass, nostrils flared and eyes wide. Minseok gasped and jumped back, clutching his heart, but then laughed. It was only Luhan. Luhan laughed as well and jumped back, allowing himself in.

            “Sorry Minseok-sshi,” Luhan greeted once inside. Sehun perked up at the sound of Luhan’s voice, and whipped out from behind the wall.

            Minseok just laughed again, “So creepy.”

            Luhan instantly noticed Sehun and went straight over to him. With arms opened up wide, Sehun nestled Luhan into his lap. Luhan slid one arm over Sehun’s shoulders intimately.

            “Just got done with practice?” Sehun noticed Luhan’s soccer attire.

            “Yep,” he nodded.

            “How was it?” Sehun asked warily as it was only Luhan’s first practice back as his normal self now that Keun Ho was out of the way.

            “Good,” Luhan said brightly, “It didn’t take long for me to win back over the coaches and to put Keun Ho in the corner.”

            “Good, that bastard deserves it,” Sehun approved.

            Luhan sunk down deeper into Sehun’s lap and sighed. Sehun tightened his hold on Luhan and shyly nuzzled his head against the other’s.

            “What is it?” Sehun asked him.

            “Nothing, just tired. It was a hard practice.”

            “Sorry,” Sehun pouted for him and kissed Luhan’s temple. A naughty thought popped into Luhan’s head, and he smiled up at Sehun devilishly. Sehun froze, he knew that look all too well.

            “What?” Sehun dared to ask.

            “You know what would make me feel so much better?” Luhan drawled, trailing his arm from around Sehun’s shoulder and dipping underneath his t-shirt.

            Sehun fidgeted and gave Luhan a warning look.

            “I would feel so much better with a massage. A nice, long, hard,” Luhan whispered in his ear huskily, “…massage.”

            Sehun gulped, lust overtaking him. Those dark and sultry eyes were no match for him. Sehun’s mouth seemed to have a mind of its own, specifically his tongue, which raked a slow and sensual line up Luhan’s neck. Luhan purred, and Sehun felt the flesh of his stomach exposed to air with each open mouthed kiss Sehun gave.

            Minseok was turning the corner, humming to himself and skipping to the beat, when he saw the inappropriate situation unfolding before him.

            “Guys!” Minseok yelled, “Not in the café!”

            Sehun detached his puffy lips and smiled sheepishly. Luhan giggled and removed his hand from under Sehun’s shirt, which had ridden up beneath his pecs.

            “I mean come on!” Minseok shuddered in disgust and stomped off in the direction of the counters.

            Sehun sat there, feeling a bit ashamed.

            “Tcch,” Luhan tutted, “I mean, it’s not like he and Jongdae haven’t done it in here.”

            “What?!” Sehun’s eyes bulged from their sockets. Minseok was so innocent looking! How could he do such a thing in a public place? Well, then again, there was Jongdae…..

            “Oh yeah. You don’t think so?”

            “Well, it’s just,” Sehun and Luhan observed Minseok as he skipped back and forth behind the counters, “he’s like a little animal – so carefree and cute.”

            “But every little animal grows up to be a beast,” Luhan reminded, “Like a certain someone over here….”

            Sehun bit his lower lip and cast his gaze away from Luhan’s. The blonde smiled in amusement and continued:

            “I bet you that they did it in the back room.”

            “And not out here?”

            “No way! I agree with you that Minseok may be somewhat of a prude, but Minseok’s totally the submissive type. He would so easily give in to Jongdae.”

            “How do you think of these things?” Sehun wondered aloud.

            “Well,” Luhan pondered as well, “It may be because I’ve been watching more dramas with Kyungsoo and Baekhyun lately.”

            Just as Luhan said this, Baekhyun and Kyungsoo ran in a moment later. The two were looking around frantically for someone or something. Baekhyun locked eyes on the two of them in the corner, and bolted straight for them.

            “LUHAN!” Baekhyun tore the deer from Sehun’s embrace and plopped him down in front of himself and Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo too, looked a little deranged.

            “What?” Luhan asked worriedly, “What’s wrong?”

            “Episode 9 just came out!” Kyungsoo squeaked out, eyes shining.

            “And?” Luhan then became equally as anxious, his brows forming a deep furrow on his forehead.

            “There’s a rumor from a blog post that, that!” Baekhyun couldn’t go on.

            “She has cancer!” Kyungsoo nearly wailed.

            Luhan cried out too, “No! After all she just went through with-”

            “I KNOW!” Baekhyun sobbed, “W-we have to go watch it now!”

            “It can’t be true!” Luhan allowed himself to be dragged out by Kyungsoo and Baekhyun, off to one of their apartments to watch the heart wrenching drama they had been so avidly following.

            “Well,” Sehun sat there and blinked, “bye, I guess.”

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

            Luhan arrived home from Kyungsoo’s apartment a couple hours later, after the three of them had finished watching the latest episode of the drama. He was relieved that the protagonist actually did not have cancer, and in fact that was just a rumor conjured up by a drama watcher looking too far into minuet details.

            His beloved orange puff ball jumped at him the moment he came in the door. Allowing her to give him a couple kisses, Luhan held Baby and gave her a good petting. He flung his jacket off onto the couch, and left his shoes off at the door in an untidy state. Luhan went to his kitchen to grab a drink from the fridge, but a red flashing button on his answering machine, lying on the counter, stopped him. A voicemail? From who?

            Luhan simply pressed a button to replay the message left from earlier today. He continued on to the fridge as he listened to the message, but the first sentence from the machine froze him in his tracks. The voice poured from the machine, running from its plastic confinement and entering his ears, trapping itself in Luhan’s head.

            He dropped to the floor, onto his knees. His heart was pounding so viciously, so loudly, but it couldn’t drown out that voice he didn’t want to hear.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

            The sound of the door bell interrupted the drone of the TV at the Oh, Byun, and Park residence. Baekhyun and Chanyeol were in their room, and Sehun, who was at the couch, answered the door.

            “Luhan,” Sehun remarked upon seeing his boyfriend at the doorframe, “Why are you here so late?” It was nearly 11.

            “I, um,” Luhan hesitated. He looked jumpy and unsettled. The voice still lingered in his head, and even though he was looking straight at Sehun, he couldn’t seem to focus on him. Sehun noticed this immediately.

            Sehun took his hands in Luhan’s and brought his face closer to his, “What is it? What’s wrong?”

            Luhan nearly quivered at his whisper. The blonde’s mouth opened to speak, but nothing came out. His eyes conveyed a silent message of defeat. Sehun’s heart ached, and he brought the blonde in for a hug. Sehun wrapped one arm around the other’s waist, while his hand cradled the back of Luhan’s head. Luhan clutched back at him, his fingers pulling the fabric of Sehun’s shirt with anxiousness.

            “Tell me,” Sehun said soothingly. Luhan was thankful that Sehun was unable to see his face. For if the other was able, he would’ve been alarmed at the near tears expression.

            Luhan swallowed it back and pulled back to face Sehun, “I need you,” he breathed out, “now.”

            “Luhan,”

            They had been in this situation before, and Sehun was not about to let it happen again.

            “I can’t,” Sehun continued, “Tell me first.”

            “No,” Luhan said sternly. He ignored Sehun’s protests, and pushed them inside the apartment. With the door shut behind them, Luhan pulled them to Sehun’s room, holding his lover by the wrist.

            Sehun stopped unsteadily in his dimly lit room, and watched with a rock in his throat as Luhan locked the door. Luhan faced him abruptly, and without hesitation, tore off his shirt.

            “Luhan, no,” Sehun tried to stop him, knowing that this wasn’t right. What was going on with him? Luhan easily brushed off Sehun’s restraining hands and pushed the younger on the small, twin sized bed.

            Luhan loomed above the other on all fours, about to go in for the kill when Sehun managed to grab hold of his arms and force the two up into a sititng position.

            “I can’t!” Sehun said firmly. He locked eyes with Luhan, making sure that the other understood clearly, “I won’t. Not until you tell me what’s going on.”

            “Sehun!” Luhan forced out with his voice braking. Sehun let go of the other in a flash and cradled his face. The longing was then fully apparent on his visage.

            “I need to forget,” Luhan breathed in and out quickly, “just for a short time!”

            “Wha-“

            “Let me forget!” Luhan said forcefully, grabbing Sehun by the shoulders. Tears were budding at his eyes, “let me get lost,” his voice softened.

            Sehun nodded, and both of them succumbed.