He Knows

Playing for His Heart

A/N: OMG so HELLO everyone! School has FINALLY ended so I am now able to begin updating once again!! Yeah, sorry about not updating and stuff, but yah know, school is.....school -________- It makes me sad to say that my irregular updates will probably continue, but please hang in! Those with heavy schedules as well should understand where I'm coming from. *Sighs* Well because I've been on hiatus for so long, I have written a second chapter to make up for it! It will be posted shortly after this one, so please look for it! I'm sincerely looking forward to what you all have to say! Without further ado, I present Chapter 13:

 

Sehun nervously walked down the stairs onto the pitch. Luhan had asked him to meet him after practice so they could go out to lunch, which was fine, but there was a certain group of people he wished to avoid. He gripped onto his backpack straps with tension when he caught sight of them. With both feet moving slowly along the asphalt strip that bordered the field, he tried to distance himself as far as he could from them. Unfortunately, one saw him.

“Sehun~!” One of them attached itself to his arm like a blood leech. The pretty noona looked up at him with heavily mascaraed eyes. Like he was a piece of meat, the rest of the dogs came prancing after him with tails wagging.

“Sehun you haven’t been here in a while!” Another woman pouted, who was latching onto his other side.

“Where have you been? Have you been hiding from us?” A third sang with raised eyebrows which made the others laugh. Sehun forced a smile and a little laugh not to be impolite.

“Omo! Did you dye your hair a different color, Sehun-ah?” A voice came from behind his head, and suddenly there were manicured nails combing through his hair.

“Ah ha, uh, yeah, last week,” Sehun replied back, discomfort slightly leaking from his tone.

“I like it!” Another insisted, “Blonde is just perfect on you!”

“You think so?” Sehun’s smile was beginning to be so awkward that he could barely keep it up without squishing his eyes into small crescents. Hopefully they couldn’t feel the sweating starting to form.

“It matches your white skin perfectly!” A hand reached up and his cheek. Sehun squeaked, a scared face appearing, which made the girls laugh and coo and his shyness.

Sehun looked off onto the field, seeing the players jog off. Seeing Sehun swarmed by the girls, most were surprised. The boyfriends, however, sent Sehun death glares as they walked by to their bench. Sehun could only offer looks of apology. Luhan made his sweet time over to them with a grin plastered on his face.

“Sehun, you need to come out for dinner with all of us!” A woman proposed, making all of the others nod their heads in agreement. 

“Ah, I’m sorry, but I’ll have to decline ladies,” Sehun faked a tone full of regret and sincerity, “I’m not much of a good guest, and I would hate to tear you all away from your boyfriends.”

“They wouldn’t mind,” The woman on his left arm with pretty, long black hair blinked up at him.

“But I know someone who would,” Luhan took this time to intervene.

“Who Oppa?” A girl sporting a  fashionable outfit and expensive handbag asked.

“Sehun-ah’s special someone,” Luhan smirked, his eyes never leaving Sehun’s. Sehun frowned, knowing Luhan loved seeing how uncomfortable he was around the girls. This sing song comment elicited a gasp from the girls.

“Sehun has a girlfriend?”

“Chincha?!”

“You’re not lying, right Luhan Oppa?”

“I’m not,” Luhan answered their cries, “In fact, I’ve seen her.” Sehun’s frown deepened. If he could only reach across and strangle him…

“What does she look like?” A few gasped.

“She’s a foreigner,” Luhan began, “a blonde, with a young face and a smokin body…..”

There were whines of disappointment and jealousy. But Sehun cocked an eyebrow and hid his smirk, internally chuckling. Luhan was confident, that’s for sure.

“Sehun!” A woman with rogue lipstick on whined, “You didn’t tell us?”

“No fair Sehun, someone got you first!” Sehun took this as his chance to release the diabolical plan he had been concocting.

“It’s ok noonas, my girlfriend has bad qualities too,” Sehun continued his good boy act and pouted, “I sometimes don’t feel like she appreciates me,” With a bashful flip of his bangs, the girls were crawling all over him. Promises of how they would take care of him spilling from their lips. Luhan clicked his tongue and narrowed his eyes at Sehun. A defiant stare from Sehun was all it took for Luhan to reach in and grab him out.

“Where are you going with our toy?” A girl complained as Luhan dragged him off.

“He forgot he had a lunch date with his girlfriend,” Luhan explained with one hand tightening around the back of Sehun’s neck, “And who knows, maybe I’ll even mention this to her….”

“No, hyung!” Sehun played along with the threat. He was led off the field with mournful echoes of goodbyes behind him. When they had reached the nearest stadium exit, Luhan released Sehun and yanked him behind an outcropping of the inner ring where merchandise was sold, food, and the bathrooms were.

Luhan pressed Sehun up against the wall, his mouth immediately attacking Sehun’s, and hands grasping onto his shoulders. Sehun curled his arms around Luhan’s waist in a vice grip and pulled him flush against him. Luhan’s tongue dove deep into Sehun’s slackened jaw to trace every detail of his mouth. Their tongues battled ferociously, but only for a short time, stopping when Sehun moaned softly. They pulled apart, breathing heavily and eyes searching one another’s in lust.

“I never appreciate you?” Luhan joked, his breathing labored and lips slightly puffed.

“You have a smokin body?” Sehun snorted in return. Luhan’s eyes twinkled with amusement.

“What? Are you dissatisfied with this?” Luhan felt one of Sehun’s hands dip underneath his sweaty practice shirt.

“Absolutely not,” Sehun breathed, moving his head in to sniff Luhan’s neck and relish the smell. Yeah, it was weird. Sehun seemed to like the rough and manly odor that Luhan exuded after exercising. Sure, sweat was sweat, but it wasn’t anything suffocating and fatal like he’s used to smelling when he and Chanyeol used to go jogging. There was just a quality about this scent Sehun acquired a fondness for. His senses overtook him, and Sehun a spot on Luhan’s neck before kissing and the soft skin.

“S-Sehun,” Luhan’s head twisted back, opening himself up. Sehun was delighted at the more skin accessible to him, and took no time in wasting this chance. When Sehun happened to teeth over one of Luhan’s weak spots right beneath his jawline, it made Luhan snap out of it and push off of him.

Luhan gasped and touched his wet neck with a pounding heart. He smiled at Sehun, “We can’t be doing this in public. My teammates will be surprised when they all of a sudden see me with hickies a second later.”

“True, my bad,” Sehun apologized, “thanks for saving me from the females.” He wiped his lips on his jacket sleeve.

“You best be learning how to fend them off,” Luhan advised, “or their boyfriends will be coming after you with clubs.”

“Yeah,” Sehun cringed, “The thought of armed, furious muscle heads is scary.”

“Maybe scientists have some kind of repellent,” Luhan pondered.

“A noona repellent?”

“Yes,” Luhan chuckled, “A noona repellent,” Oncoming voices could be heard exiting the fields, “I’m just going to grab my stuff and then we can leave, ok?”

“Ok, I’ll wait here,” Sehun smiled and watched the deer trot off.

Unbeknownst to the Hunhan couple, was that there was a figure looming on the other side of the wall the entire time, listening to everything that had been said. Its eyes followed Luhan jog back onto the field with all types of things running through his head.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

The next day Luhan was showering in the locker room, washing away the sweat and grime from practice. With his body squeaky clean and hair thoroughly shampooed and conditioned, Luhan twisted the nozzle tightly to the right, cutting off the warm water. He grabbed the white towel hanging on the rack on his left and wrapped it around his trim waist after drying off his hair.

 Luhan sauntered from the showers, passing two other players that were showering underneath nozzles across from his. His bare feet padded along the cool tile towards his locker to grab his clothes. Opening up the metal, red rectangle, Luhan felt paranoid. For some reason, since yesterday, he’s had this feeling that he’s being constantly watched. Pausing with his hand on the open locker door, Luhan discreetly looked right, left, and over his shoulders.

Goo Sungjae, a center back for the team, walked by Luhan’s locker as the blonde was surveying his surroundings. Luhan caught sight of Sungjae, and offered him a wary smile. Sungjae blinked, and drifted his eyes quickly away from Luhan’s. Luhan craned his neck around the lockers to watch the man walk away at a much quicker pace than he was walking before.

Luhan shook his previous thought out of his head. His senses were throwing everything out of whack. Trying to convince himself that he was just imagining things, Luhan still wasn’t able to drop his towel. Sure, all of his teammates changed comfortably around each other,  but this time something felt weird…..

_____________________________________________________________________________________

“Nice one!” Luhan heard a congratulation directed at him. He smiled slightly, proud of his low and quick goal that had completely caught their keeper off guard. On that note, their tactics coach dismissed them for a water break. Some of the players instantly jogged off, dying of thirst. Luhan jogged at a slower pace for his legs were fatigued. 

A large hand suddenly clamped down on his shoulder with a muscled arm following it. Luhan jumped at the contact, looking to his right to see a fellow forward, Han Dong Shin, to be the owner of the appendage. Luhan smiled and clapped him on the back as a thanks and Dong Shin ran off to jump on the back of one of his best friends.

Upon reaching the bench Luhan dug out his water bottle from his bag. Sitting down to his left was Sungjae. His dark head was downturned, looking at his cleat covered feet. Knowing that he was usually talkative all the time, Luhan sat down next to him and nudged the man who was twiddling his thumbs. Thin nosed and hard-jawed Sungjae snapped his head up at Luhan.

“You ok?” Luhan asked, letting the empty water bottle slip down to the ground. Sungjae’s lips were pressed into a thin line, and his almond eyes didn’t lock to Luhan’s.

“Uh, yeah,”  Sungjae said quietly.

“Are you sure?” Sungjae’s face was convincing Luhan.

Sungjae seemed to bit his lip to hold back a terse reply. He rose from his spot on the bench and swiftly slung his bag on his back.

“I’m fine,” Sungjae barked, still not meeting Luhan’s eyes. On that note he left the field at a quick pace. Some of the players who were near them shared confused looks. Luhan could only shrug his shoulders. Something was up with Sungjae.

______________________________________________________________________________________

“And you don’t know why he’s doing that?” Sehun asked. Luhan, unable to know what to do about the Sungjae problem, turned to Sehun.

“Yeah,” Luhan sighed, sitting back on his heels. Sehun looked up at him from his twin sized bed. With Luhan sitting on his stomach, one leg on each side, his hands rested on the deer’s hips, “I mean, it’s been going on for two weeks now! It’s starting to worry me….”

“And it’s only directed towards you?”

“Yeah!” Luhan pouted and his eyebrows furrowed into a v-shape, “When he’s around the other players he’s perfectly fine. But when I happen to be near him………” Luhan trailed off, “I just don’t know what to do.”

Sehun felt himself feel sad seeing Luhan’s distressed face. Unable to know what to say, Sehun plainly commented, “Then you should confront him.”

“But I have!” Luhan’s arms flopped up in mild exasperation, bringing his shoulders inward when his arms fell heavily.

“No, what I mean is, you have to demand it from him. Corner him,” Sehun’s hands lifted from Luhan’s hips and visualized what he was trying to explain, “in a place where he can’t run and don’t let him go till he gives you an answer you can believe.”

“And you think that will make him tell me?”

“Well,” Sehun paused, a contemplative expression gracing his face, “If you were to also bring a torture device with you…..”

Luhan lightly smiled, “Pabo. OK, I’ll try that.”

“And if he doesn’t tell you, then he isn’t worth the frustration.”

“Yeah……you’re right,” Luhan nodded, his poster propping back up confidently. A mischievous smirk was slowly curling onto his face, “Jong In was wrong about you. You aren’t as stupid as you look.”

“Hey! I am very smart thank you very much!” Sehun upturned his nose and crossed his arms over his thin chest.

“I know, that’s why I said it!”

“No, you called me stupid!” Sehun accused.

“No I didn’t!”

“Yes you did you cheeky soccer player!”

Luhan shook his head with a pathetic glance at the annoyed boy, “You know, if you’re going to insult me you’d better come up with better comebacks.”

Sehun scoffed and tried to formulate something to say in retaliation…..but he couldn’t. Just imagining how stupid he looked in front of Luhan made him get even more pissy. With another garble of words that weren’t even Korean, Sehun shoved Luhan off his bare chest and fish flopped onto his stomach, his face smothered in the mattress.

Luhan was momentarily confused with his sudden action, but grinned at Sehun’s frustration.

“What’re you doing, you weirdo?” Luhan drawled and poked Sehun’s denim clad . Sehun responded with a squirm and a:

“Mmm mmm uhmmh MMMMGH mmm MMPH mmpgh!”

“What?”

“Mmm mghmmm uhmm mumumumh!”

“Sorry, come again?”

“MMGH UGH MMMHU!” A few of Sehun’s hair strands were sticking up in the back, waving back and forth randomly with each crabby exclamation.

Luhan sighed and snatched a throw pillow from the end of the bed. He daintily placed it on Sehun’s head, gave the pillow a little pat, then sat down with a flop.

“MMMMMMM MHMMMHMHMM!” Sehun’s arms and flopped up and down like a flightless dodo bird while Luhan just brushed his nails on his shirt and cleaned out a bit of dirt from under a nail.

Baekhyun, hearing the panicked, smothered yelling, stopped in his passage down the hallway and opened Sehun’s door. He poked his head in cautiously, not knowing what he might see, but relaxed when seeing Luhan was simply sitting on Sehun’s head.

“Oh I’d be careful if I were you,” Baekhyun leaned back against the door frame and folded his arms across his chest.

“Why?” Luhan bobbled back and forth due to the shaking Sehun.

“Because last time I did that to Channie, he passed out after 2 minutes,” Baekhyun gave him a pointed look as Sehun’s struggling weakened second after second. Luhan slowly lifted off of him and that’s when Baekhyun left.

Sehun whipped around, the top pillow flying off his head. His face was red, teeth were barred,  and eyes glistening. He could barely catch his breath, “Were you trying to kill me?!”

“What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger,” Luhan pointed out. With that Sehun collapsed with a groan.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

With a grunt Luhan pushed through his last bench press, letting the bar fall with a loud clang back onto the stand. He sat up using his legs, unable to use his jelly-like arms as support. He slicked his sweaty hair back with a calloused palm and observed the rest of the room. Most of his teammates had finished their strength routines and had gone home, except for a few who were slower.

Luhan had, of course, finished a long time ago. 20 minutes ago to be exact. The only reason why he was staying behind was to take up Sehun’s advice. Besides Luhan and two other players who were heading for the locker room now, Sungjae was the only one in the weight room. He was barely making it up over the bar for his pull ups, his forearms were shuddering with each hip drive.

Trying not to look like he was purposefully heading over to Sungjae, Luhan took a detour by the water jug. It was a good thing it was nearby Sungjae on the bar, or this would’ve been much more awkward. Luhan passed by Sungjae, trying not to look in his direction. He slid out a disposable, paper cup from the dispenser and placed it under the nozzle. As he filled the cup he could hear Sungjae plop down from the bar. Turning around casually, Luhan gulped down the water and watched Sungjae wipe his face off with a white towel he had hung on the bar.

Sungjae lifted the side of his face up to see Luhan. Once their eyes locked, that was Luhan’s queue to say something.

“Good work out?” Luhan wanted to slap himself. Wow, you’re cool, he thought sarcastically.

Sungjae hesitated, but then nodded. He flung the towel over his sleevless shirt and grabbed his water bottle.

“You know,” Luhan began, not even looking at him, unable to, “I know it may sound crazy, but I’ve had this feeling,” Sungjae stood their stoically, “…….I’ve had this feeling that you’re purposefully ignoring me.”

Sungjae still didn’t make a movement or sound. Luhan’s suspicions were confirmed. He tossed the cup into the garbage and took some steps towards him. Luhan was done with beating around the bush.

“Why are you ignoring me,” Luhan stated, “I know were aren’t buddy buddy or anything, but I can tell that you’ve changed all of a sudden. From what I’ve observed you seem to be perfectly fine with the others, but when it comes to me, you act totally out of character.”

Sungjae squirmed uncomfortable on the spot, shifting his weight from foot to foot and glancing off into the corners of the room.

“I mean, can’t you even look at me straight?” Luhan was getting a little pissed. Sungjae kept eye contact this time. Luhan sighed.

“Do you have anything to say?” Again, Sungjae was silent. He clenched his jaw and folded his top lip over his over, which made Luhan even more frustrated. Luhan waited a few seconds to give Sungjae time to respond, but he never did. The faint sound of the wall clock ticking in the background felt like pricks against Luhan’s temple with each monotonous tap. Feeling the frustration growing inside him and rising to the brim, he finally exploded.           

“What is it Sungjae, huh?! What?!” Luhan boomed, which was totally out of character for an easy-going guy like him. Sungjae slightly jumped at the outburst and looked at Luhan with a speechless expression. Luhan huffed and advanced at him with jaw clenched. Sungjae made no movement to retreat, but did lean back on his heels instinctively.

“TELL ME!” Luhan yelled. The muscles in his neck strained against his skin with his intense outcry. Unexpectedly, he raised his open palms and placed them on Sungjae’s chest, shoving him. Sungjae toppled backwards with wide eyes, still speechless. A determined air popped into Sungjae’s aura, and he regained his stance.

“I know, Luhan.” Sungjae’s tone had lowered, just like his gaze.

“What?” Luhan shook his head exasperatedly.

“I know.”