Concealing The Past

The Great Queen Sooyeon

.

.

.

They walked miles and miles far far away from the forest where the Baekje soldiers have taken over the territory. It was turning dark and the sun has set completely.

"Where will we go now?" Sooyeon stopped walking as she wondered why they were still walking. "I mean, why are we still walking when we don't even know where we are going?!" She decided to question and raise her voice at him.

"We will go to Seorabeol. The heart of Silla where we would live our lives at it's peak and forget everything bad we've been through here at Gajamseong. Silla is our homeland and there we should come back." Jaejoong just gave a slight smile.

"Seorabeol? Isn't that where the royal family resides?" She just raised her eyebrows in question. It's the place you should have belonged and never left. He really wanted to tell her this, but he knew it wasn't time for her to know that she was a princess.

"Yes. Seorabeol, the capital of Silla. " He smiled back in confidence. "Trust me. We will definitely live a different life there. With the soldiers, Hwarangs, court maids, court ladies, consorts, cocumbines,servants, the seongols and the jingols. It is just like a new world." He added to his sentence.

"So we will make a living there? Like how you will be a Hwarang and I'll work as a court maid." She just smiled in excitement in living in a new place and a new community.

"Just don't be a court lady, it would bring you to be a consort or cocumbine of the king which could bring you into trouble without you knowing." He just joked on their way back.

"Consort or cocumbine. What will happen if a woman becomes one of those?" She looked at him with a confused expression. "If a woman becomes a consort or cocumbine to some powerful monarch or royal family member that person would be tied to that person forever, but the woman could only marry another royal family member to ensure the royal line of the family and to keep the prominence of the royal clan. " He explained.

A cocumbine is usually chosen for her beauty and is choosen usually if the wife cannot bear a child.She is always of lower rank than the man she is tied with. While the consort is choosen for the status to continue to pure royal blood line." He further added about how the royal family worked.

"I would never want to become one. I would never want to be tied to someone of higher rank than me. Never ever I would want to be a woman who would just follow people around. I'd want to make my own desicions for myself." She proudly place her head up in resistance to be a consort or cocumbine.

But you are one and the prophecy tells everything. He wanted to say everything about the truth, but to do so could put his and her life at risk especially at this time. "Tha'ts the Sooyeon I know. Be yourself and don't allow anyone to manipulate you just to sit on the throne and then abandon you when you are no longer needed." He smirked in pride as he just laughed at her.

"Even if I need to pretend to be a boy just to escape from being a court lady, I'll do it." She confidently promised to him which gave him a shocked expression.

"Well Auntie gave us a pass to the palace. Let's just see what will happen." He just sighed and walked ahead. "Come on. Start walking. You can't just get there by standing there and we got a long path to go before we take a carriage to bring us there and we need to walk an extra mile." He looked back quickly before walking ahead.

"Hey don't leave me. Aish." She started to run and catch up with him while she slightly messed up her hair in frustration.

                                                                                                            ---

"Today, I shall make many changes to restore the royal line of the Seongol rank." Queen Seondeok announced at the throne room. "Prince Yongsu?" She decided to call him.

"Yes, your highness." Prince Yongsu stood up and kneeled right in front of her. Prince Yongsu was King Jinji's son, who was dethroned a few years back.

"I shall restore your Seongol status, as it is not your fault you were deposed from this rank. You were once a Seongol and therefore you shall stay as one." The queen raised the rank of the former prince back into his original title.

"Thank you, your highness." Yongsu smiled at delight looking at his wife Princess Cheonmyeong. "It would be mean Chunchu would be a Seongol then." The queen added.

"I will also raise the status of chosen Jingeols to Seongols to restore the pure royal blood line of Silla." Seondeok added to the policies to make sure the royal line of Seongols will not die and fade out.

"But Your Highness, isn't it doing this could cause more competition between other Jingeols who want to be Seongols to be able to take the throne.It could cause a rush between the Jingeols as they would do good deeds to be able to receive the title of a Seongol and later snatch away the throne from you. It would also cause a war of succession between them." The Crown Prince Yoochun protested and did not agree with the rule.

"That is true, your highness." Princess Jiyeon agreed. "However, they know that no matter war or bloodshed they do, they will never be raised to a Seongol, as only a true Seongol may do this and that Seongol must be in the throne during this time." The queen just smiled at her idea.

"I shall raise Consort Jiwoo and her daughters into Seongols in order to restore the pure royal blood line of Shilla. I shall raise the three cocumbines ranks as well while restoring Lord Heejun's Seongol rank after King Jinji's dethronement" Seondeok just sighed in the important decision she has made.

"Not only that, I shall arrange more royal marriages along with this. Talking about marriages, referring to Crown Prince Yoochun's marriage with the princess, I will tell the Hwarangs to find her so that we shall hold the marriage ceremony succesfully now." Yoochun could only frown in sadness as he remembered his true love.

"Along with that, royal family members from Tang and Japan will be considered Seongols while Baekje and Goguryeo royal families will be of lower rank than them." The queen continued on with the matters she goes through every day.

While for Jaejoong and Sooyeon, they travelled far far away from home to Seorabeol and arrived in a few days. "Are we near?" Sooyeon gasped out of breathe as she was tired from all the walking they've been through.

"We're here already at Seorabol."He only smiled at relief when they were already there. She only looked at the big palace borders in awe. "We can start looking for a job in there tommorow. Let's just find a place to live in first." Jaejoong only smiled as they walked together away from Seorabeol.

They arrived at Jaejoong's cousin's house. The two of them were approached immediately as his cousin recognized him easily.

"Hey Jaejoong-ah. It's been a while since we've seen each other and who's this girl with you? Don't tell me you're now married and the two of you will stay here together just the two of you to have ual and have children right?" Hyunjoong approached Jaejoong immediately with a bow as he finished his chores.

"No! It's not like what you think it is. She's a friend of mine for Neungyeol city. She's Sooyeon-ah. Sooyeon-ah, meet Hyunjoong." Jaejoong secretly blushed and denied it.

"Hello." Sooyeon bows at Hyunjoong with a smile. "Oh hello there. Welcome to Hyunjoong's Inn then. I hope you could enjoy your stay here.I'd also like you to meet my sisters." Hyunjoong grinned with a smile as bright as hers and was very welcome for a new customer.

"My sisters Qri, Neokrang , Miyoung and Sungmi. My adopted sister Taeyeon." Hyunjoong introduced his sisters to her. "I guess they'd get along with you quite well." He just smirked as he laid against the wall.

"Hello!" His 4th sister Qri greeted in glee. " We're glad we're not the only girls here. This place is populated by men." Neokrang excitedly approached Sooyeon and then her younger sister Miyoung continued her sentence.

"I'm sure we'll be best friends in no time!" Taeyeon added with a smile and held her hand. "Of course we will." Sooyeon just smiled innocently and went off to gossip with the other girls.

"I'll just hope nothing in the past would come up." Jaejoong just sighed and mumbled to himself looking at Sooyeon happy and cheerful , worried that the smile of hers would turn upside down when she comes back to the palace and discovers her destiny.

 

                                                                                                         ---

Sorry guys I took quite a longer time now to update. It was long vacation and I got pretty lazy while I rested from my injured pink toe but I've finally recovered and updated now! ^^

Please comment and subsribe. I really appreciate it. Thank you to my 15 subscribers , please drop your comments as well. XD

So bye guys, take care~! Till the next update. ^^