Chapter 9: Crazily In Love

Never a Replacement.

 

Junhyung chuckled a little at your puzzled face. He smiled while saying, ‘Me and Hara knew each other, since we were young.’ You catch your breath as he continued. ‘We were in the same pre-school. I entered that preschool slightly later than others, because of some reasons, and Hara was the first to befriend me.’

‘I was still young and I didn’t know anything then, so I thought she was just friendly, and I got really close to her. We used to do everything together, and we were best friends, until the last year of primary school.’ You looked up at Junhyung with big eyes. ‘What happened?’

‘That year, she asked me out. Like… to go on a date with her. By that time, I was quite popular around girls, because of my good looks,’ Junhyung smirked conceitedly, as you scoffed. ‘But I didn’t want to go out with anyone of them. A few of the particularly y girls heard about her asking me on a date, and they decided to pull her out for some ‘lecturing.’’

‘Like what she kinda did to me…’ You mumbled. Junhyung continued. ‘They slapped her, pulled her hair and they embarrassed her in front of the whole school, throwing eggs at her. I was sick that day, so I didn’t go to school. But I heard it from others. Since that day… she changed.’

‘She stopped being all over me, like a crazy fangirl. Instead, she had more pride in herself, and she learnt to dress up more maturely, and she hanged out with a bunch of popular girls during secondary school. Without her noticing, she turned into one of those girls that once bullied her.’

‘I don’t blame her, she had a hard time forgetting those y girls, and it was partly my fault. But she has gone too far this time.’ You sighed. ‘Well, what about those black suited guys?’ You were actually referring to the one that stabbed Junhyung. ‘If I ever see that guy again he’s gonna get a beating from me,’ You mumbled.

‘Oh. Those guys. They are her bodyguards. She’s the daughter of a minister. She doesn’t have a mom though. And she has a brother, but her brother doesn’t get along well with her dad.’ Junhyung paused. ‘Why?’ You were curious. ‘Her brother is a gangster, and her dad thinks that her brother ruins his reputation as a minister.’

You started to pity Hara a little. She had such a terrible memory of being bullied, and she didn’t have a mom. You imagined what it would be like if you lost your mom. ‘It would still be the same, I don’t see her much anyway,’ You thought. But you couldn’t bear it if your brother, Dongwoon, was a gangster.

‘Me and Hara weren’t in the same secondary school for the first two years. I went to a private school then, and Hara went to the government school. But I changed there for some reasons, when I was 16.’ Junhyung’s expression changed a little as he said that. You edged closer to Junhyung, your arms touching his.

‘Did something happen?’ You asked quietly. All those sad, empty feelings that were there when you first saw him, came back. You regret asking that question. ‘It’s ok… I’m ok.’ It felt like Junhyung read your mind. You wanted to say something, but you didn’t know what to. ‘Yes, something did happen. I…’

Junhyung was interrupted by the sound of someone opening the door. The both of you turned around, to see Hara. She didn’t change her clothes yet, and her face was filled with guilt. ‘Are… are you okay? I’m so sorry…’ Her tears were about to fall as she walked towards Junhyung’s bed.

You were surprised. That was like, a 360 degree change from the cocky, self-confident person that confronted you in the park just now. You watched as Hara walked forward, holding her tears back. ‘I’m fine.’ Junhyung’s voice was a little stiff, but you could tell that he wasn’t mad at her.

‘I shouldn’t have… I just wanted to warn her… I didn’t mean to… I’m so sorry.’ She bowed to Junhyung, and tears fell from her eyes. Junhyung smiled a little. ‘There, that’s more like the old you.’ Hara turned to you and bowed again. ‘And I’m so sorry for being y to you. It’s Junhyung’s choice to be with whoever he wants to.’

You smiled and handed her a box of tissues. ‘Wait… how did you even get in here? It’s two in the morning, way pass visiting hours.’ You asked, after looking at the clock. ‘I gave the nurse some money.’ Hara replied with a straight face. Junhyung chuckled. ‘Well, that part of you has never changed.’ He smiled.

Hara returned his smile. ‘I’ll pay for the medical bills.’ She said. You were relieved when you heard that. ‘Ok.’ Junhyung didn’t resist. He didn’t have any money to pay anyway. Hara left to change the forms from your name to hers.

You sighed as she went out. ‘Aren’t you tired? You should rest.’ Junhyung’s voice was filled with concern. ‘I’m fine. I’ll accompany you the night, if you don’t mind, your majesty.’ You did a slight bow, playing with Junhyung. ‘Well well, what a good servant I have. Then I order you to bring me to the rooftop.’

You smiled. ‘Yes, your majesty.’ Junhyung chuckled as you walked forward to help him up. He wobbled a little as he stood up. He clutched the right side of his stomach where the wound was, trying not to show the pain on his face. ‘You okay?’ You looked up at him.

He gave you a smile that wasn’t really convincing. ‘I’m fine.’ You scoffed. ‘The nurse isn’t going to be happy when she sees this.’ You stated. ‘Psch. I don’t live to please her.’ Junhyung said. You grinned.

The walk to the rooftop felt like it took forever as Junhyung was walking slowly. When the both of you finally reached, Junhyung leaned on the wall by the edge of the roof, panting a little. ‘The question you asked just now… about why I changed schools when I was 16…’

‘It’s okay. You don’t have to answer it.’ You didn’t want Junhyung to be sad. ‘No. I’ve been keeping it a secret for too long. I want to tell you. I trust you.’ Junhyung looked straight into your eyes. You blushed. ‘Thank god it’s at night, it’s probably not obvious that I’m as red as a tomato,’ you thought.

‘You’re as red as a tomato.’ Junhyung chuckled. You blinked a few times. ‘Yah!’ Junhyung laughed. ‘So… Let me tell you the story from the beginning.’ Junhyung sat on a chair by a corner of the rooftop, and you sat down beside him. He cleared his throat and started to say his story.