Chapter 6: The Party.

Never a Replacement.

 

A few hours before the party, IU came over to your house. The both of you started dressing up while chitchatting. ‘IU ah, which one looks better on me?’ You held up a black dress and a white one. ‘Hmm, the black one! Will you help me do my hair?’ The both of you spent hours getting ready.

 When it was almost time, the both of you went out of the room. You and IU were going on Hyunseung’s car, while Dongwoon, Yoseob and Gikwang were going on Doojoon’s. You wore a black dress, and you left your hair loose over your shoulders. IU wore a white dress, to go with her handbag, and she tied her hair up in a bun.

 ‘Omo! The both of you are so pretty~’ Yoseob started to blush. He couldn’t take his eyes of IU. You and Dongwoon smiled at the both of them. ‘You guys ready? It’s almost time!’ Hyunseung called from outside of the house. You and IU got on his car and left for the party, following the address Kevin sent you.

 When you guys reached, all of your faces had a shocked expression. ‘Is this some kind of mansion?’ Hyunseung was the first to speak. He looked up at the house in awe. ‘Snap out of it! Lets go in and take a look.’ Dongwoon led the way in. The door was open. As you went in, everything inside looked… expensive.

 The hall was huge, and you didn’t dare to touch anything, because you were afraid you’d spoil something. ‘Even the dustbin looks expensive!’ IU said. You giggled. ‘Hi! Food and drinks are in the ballroom, help yourselves!’ Kevin came out, and smiled at his guests. ‘You have a ballroom? In your house?’ Yoseob mumbled.

 There were already many people in the house, and more and more were coming. You and IU were walking into the ballroom. Halfway there, Kevin called you from behind. You stopped walking, and IU went on to the ballroom, not wanting to disturb you guys. ‘You look beautiful.’ Kevin said, smiling at you.

 ‘Th-thanks.’ You felt yourself blushing. ‘I…I have to go over there, I’ll see you later!’ You pointed at a random direction and left hurriedly. Your heart was about to jump out. ‘He called me beautiful!’ You felt like screaming. You were so happy. You rushed over to IU, and you couldn’t stop smiling.

 Just then, you noticed that Junhyung wasn’t there yet. So you walked over to the main door. As you were waiting for him, you felt someone tap your shoulder. You turned around to see Junhyung. He was wearing a black jacket and a white shirt, with black pants. He looked really smart and… well, handsome. You didn’t want to admit it but you couldn’t take your eyes of him.

 ‘Were you waiting for me here?’ Junhyung gave you a crooked smile. ‘No! Pssh.’ You scoffed, but you were blushing. He chuckled. ‘Lets go into the ballroom. I heard there’s some great food there!’ He unconsciously pulled you along, into the ballroom. You followed behind him. When the both of you went into the ballroom, he grabbed a plate and started to fill it with lots of food.

 You weren’t hungry, so you just took a sandwich and some fruit punch. You followed him to a table at the corner, while nibbling on your sandwich. Before you even finished your sandwich, Junhyung had finished everything he took on his plate. He wiped the edge of his mouth with a napkin. ‘You’ve got something on your nose!’ You saw his nose smudged with something, and giggled.

 ‘Hmm? Can you help me wipe it off?’ He acted innocent, but you knew he just wanted you to do it for him. You took your napkin, wiped off the stain and pinched his nose slightly, smiling. ‘How can he be so perfect?’ You thought as you looked at his face. He smiled back at you. You heard a slow song starting to play in the room

 ‘May I have this dance?’ Junhyung stood up, and reached out his hand, while smiling. ‘Why, of course.’ You played along with him, and put your hand on his, trying to act all high-classed. The both of you smiled as you guys walked towards the middle of the ballroom, where many couples were starting to dance along to the song.

You saw IU and Yoseob dancing together, with Yoseob blushing madly. You poked Junhyung and pointed at their direction. He smiled. Then, he put his left hand on your hip, and held your hand with his other hand. The both of you moved swiftly around the ballroom. You saw a few familiar faces while dancing, like Doojoon, who was dancing with Gayoon, a senior in Kevin’s class.

Hyuna and Kevin were also dancing. They looked perfect together, you thought. You felt a little jealous. The song changed, into another slow one. Junhyung brought you closer to him, hugging your waist, as you placed your arms on his shoulders. You buried your face in his chest, not wanting to see Kevin and Hyuna.

After a while, Junhyung was bored of dancing, and he led you outside to the balcony. ‘You’re not bad at dancing.’ He smiled a little, trying to make some kind of conversation with you. You were still thinking about Kevin and Hyuna though. ‘Mmm? Uhuh.’ You simply replied something. Junhyung sensed something weird going on.

Just as he was about to ask you what was happening, Gikwang and Dongwoon jumped out of nowhere. ‘Hey! There you are! I’ve been looking for you for a long time!’ Dongwoon said. ‘Follow us, we wanna show you the statue in the hall outside! It’s beautiful!’ Gikwang pulled you along, before you even said anything. Junhyung stayed without following.

‘Yah! Where are we goinggg?’ You felt guilty, as you ditched Junhyung at the balcony all by himself. ‘Almost thereeee~’ Gikwang sounded really excited. Just then, you heard a sharp tone. ‘Who do you think you are?’ You turned your head to the direction of the voice. It was a woman, maybe 2 years older than you, and she looked… really pretty. She sounded angry, but at the same time, calm.

She was talking to Hyuna. Kevin was there too. ‘What has this got to do with you? Kevin’s my boyfriend, not yours!’ Hyuna shouted back at the woman, as Kevin stood in the middle of them. ‘Still, I’m not going to let you treat him like this!’ ‘Well, what can you do? You’re nothing but a bitc-’ Before Hyuna finished her line, there was a loud sharp sound.

Kevin slapped her. ‘That’s enough! Have you guys ever thought of how I feel? Stop making decisions for me!’ Kevin was shouting, and he looked really angry. ‘I… I’m sorry.’ The woman said softly. But Hyuna, on the other hand, was still mad. ‘Oh. So you think I’m making decisions for you? You don’t like that? Fine! Let us just breakup then.’ Hyuna said, without even thinking twice.

Kevin looked up. ‘Fine.’ He looked straight through her eyes. Then, he walked towards the main gates. You didn’t know what to do. You wanted to follow Kevin, but you wondered if he needed some time on his own. ‘What’s that girl’s name?’ You nudged Gikwang, who was standing beside you. He totally forgot about the statue. ‘J-jiyeon… Kevin’s elder sister. She was a student in our school, but she graduated and went to Australia.’ ‘Oh. Wow.’

‘Aren’t you going to go after him?’ Dongwoon said, giving a slight smile. He knew what you were thinking. He always did. When no one else could understand you, he did. You smiled back. ‘Help me tell Hyunseung, Doojoon, IU and Yoseob that I won’t be home so early today.’ You went out the front door, half running. You didn’t realize Junhyung standing at one side, looking at you leave.