Chapter 5: The Convenience Store

Never a Replacement.

 

As Junhyung was thinking about the scholarship exams, someone came in the door. It was you. You were panting and sweating. ‘Yah! Why did you run so fast?’ You shouted. ‘Why did you follow me?’ Junhyung shouted back.

 ‘B-because…because I was worried.’ You pouted, clearly embarrassed. Junhyung chuckled and smiled a crooked smile. ‘I’m fine. Now go home before your brother starts worrying, okay?’ ‘Ani! You’re sick! You should go home!’ You looked at him with a stern look, like an angry mother.

 He scoffed. ‘So sorry mom. Do I look like I can go home? I’m working!’ ‘T-then… I’ll help you!’ You blurted out. ‘Hah. Okay.’ Junhyung scoffed again, thinking that you were probably going to go home soon after you got bored. But you didn’t. Instead, you started looking around, and you grabbed a mop and started cleaning the place up.

 Junhyung was speechless. So he just sat behind the cashier, watching you mop the floor. Soon enough, he fell asleep. After you finished mopping, you got behind the cashier and served the customers that came. You’ve done this before when you were young, so you know quite well how it works.

 About 2 in the morning, Junhyung woke up. ‘Y-you still here?!’ He looked at the clock. ‘Yeah,’ you said while stifling a yawn. ‘I’m sorry… I overslept. You’re tired, aren’t you? You should go home and sleep.’ ‘No! If I go home now, my mom would kill me!’ You could imagine what your mom would be like, and you shivered with fear.

 Junhyung smiled. ‘Babo. K fine, you have a rest here, I’ll take over.’ ‘Okay…’ You said obediently. You sat behind the cashier and took a nap. When you woke up, it was already 3. ‘You sure you wanna stay here? I’m not leaving until 5.’ Junhyung saw you awake, so he told you.

 ‘Yeah, I’m staying.’ You crossed your arms and said stubbornly. ‘Then will you help me put all those goods onto the shelf over there?’ He pointed at the empty shelves. ‘Oh…okay.’  You said. He chuckled. ‘Hey, I was just joking. It’s my job, I’m getting the money, so I don’t want you helping me, arasseo?’ He got up to start working.

 You tugged his left wrist. ‘But I wanna help!’ You got up too, and pushed him towards the shelves. You didn’t notice him wincing and clutching his left wrist in pain. After another 2 hours, Junhyung’s shift ended.

He was at the cashier, and you were sleeping again. The next worker came in to take over his shift. Junhyung saw you sleeping soundly, and he didn’t want to wake you, so he piggy backed you and walked out of the store, all the way to his dorm. When he reached, he placed you on his bed, and he lied on the floor, thinking.

‘Do I really like her?’ he thought. ‘Or is it just because she looked like… her? Should I tell her about my past? She deserves to know, but I don’t want her to think that i like her only because she looked like my ex. So I might as well keep it a secret first. It’s not time yet.’

2 hours later, you heard an alarm clock’s noise. It wasn’t the same as the one you had at home. You reached out your hand and tried hitting it without opening your eyes. Instead, you hit something, that didn’t feel like an alarm. Surprised, you open your eyes.

It was a room, quite familiar to you. And the thing you hit… was Junhyung head. ‘Ooops.’ You wanted to apologize, but you couldn’t stop yourself from laughing. ‘HAHAHAAA~’ you don’t know why, but it’s just so funny. He laughed a little, and knocked your head with his knuckles. ‘Get ready, we’ve to go to school soon.’ ‘Okay~’ you said.

On the way to school, you couldn’t stop worrying about how Dongwoon would be like when he sees you. ‘He must’ve been so worried, I’ve never stayed out of the house for a full night without telling him…’ When you reached class, no one was there yet. You and Junhyung sat at your places, and he started sleeping again.

You weren’t tired. You had quite a lot of sleep, but you know Junhyung didn’t. You nudged him a little. He sat up, looking at you, with his eyes half open. You touched his forehead. It was burning. His face was slightly red. ‘You okay?’ He grunted. ‘I’m fine. Don’t think of asking me to skip class today, because I want that scholarship.’

You sighed. ‘Fine.’ Just then, Dongwoon came in with Hyunseung and Yoseob. When he saw you safe and sound, he nearly screamed as he ran to you. ‘You okay? Where did you go last night? We were all so worried.’ He checked you for any injuries, and hugged you tightly after he ensured that you were safe. ‘I’m fine… I just… I… spent the night studying at my friend’s place for today’s exam.’

‘Oh…okay then. Tell me earlier next time, okay?’ ‘Okay.’ You smiled. You felt guilty. ‘Yah, _____-ah, we almost called the police!’ Yoseob was exaggerating again. You smiled and punched him softly. ‘Oh, and check your phone! I called you like, a hundred times.’ ‘My…my phone? It’s out of battery.’ You fished it out from your pocket, showing him the blank screen. ‘Aww man. I wasted 3 hours of my life calling a phone out of battery.’ Hyunseung grumbled.

 As the exams started, you were nervous. Today’s last subject was math. You wanted to score in this subject, because Junhyung spent the most time teaching you this subject. When you got the papers, you were relieved. It was quite easy, and you had no problem doing it. Junhyung finished it in 20 minutes and continued sleeping.

On the end of that day, everyone was especially happy, because the exams have ended! IU ran over to you, telling you about the new books she bought. You nodded like you were listening, but you were actually looking at Junhyung. He was coughing again. ‘Are you even listening?’ IU poked you. You looked back at her.

‘Sorry… I was,’ ‘Looking at Junhyung!’ IU continued you sentence cheerfully. ‘Soo, are you guys like… coupling?’ She smiled and asked. ‘Ani, ani. We’re just friends.’ You smiled at her. ‘Well, okay! I have to go, baaaai!’ She left the class. Just as you were about to leave too, you heard someone calling your name from behind.

‘_____! Hold on!’ You turned around and saw Kevin. ‘Kevin oppa!’ you smiled. You were always happy with him. ‘Will you come to my house this weekend? I’m having a party! You can call your friends.’ He said. ‘Okay!’ You felt like flying. ‘Kevin oppa asked me to go to his party!!’ your brain was about to burst, and that was all you could think of.

‘Okay, I’ll have to go invite others, bye!’ Kevin left you daydreaming. ‘Hmm, I should ask IU, Dongwoon, Hyunseung, Yoseob, Gikwang, Doojoon and.. Junhyung to go along.’ You texted all of them except for your brother and Junhyung. They were still in class.  After texting, you ran back to class.

‘Junhyung! Dongwoon! You guys wanna go to a party this weekend?’ You said, as you skipped into the class. ‘Okay!’ Dongwoon said. ‘Hmm. I’ll see. Is there food?’ Junhyung asked. ‘Duh.’ You gave him a ‘must-you-be-so-foodish’ face. ‘Then send me the address. I’ll see you there.’ He took his bag and walked out of class.

*endofchapter.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[A/N] To those who commented/subscribed, here's a cookie! *-* ...with extra chocolate chips c:

I know this might make me sound like an attention or something, but i like comments. As much as i like cheese! So give me moreee! ...comments, i mean.. Not cheese.