Chapter 17: Truth.

Never a Replacement.

 

After Junhyung was done with his long bath, you were asleep on the couch. He quietly sat down beside you, looking at your funny sleeping face. Your mouth was wide open and you were snoring. He chuckled.

He leaned closer to you, until his nose could almost touch your face. His lips edged closer, kissing your cheek. He planted a number of kisses on your face, moving towards your lips. And lastly, he kissed your lips, making you wake up.

When you opened your eyes, you were shocked. You don’t wake up everyday to find someone kissing you. And that person’s lips were… so… you didn’t know how to describe it. You opened your eyes. You met Junhyung’s eyes, and you were contented. You closed your eyes again, enjoying the long kiss.

*In the restaurant.

Both you and Junhyung sat down, looking at the menu. You both ordered pancakes, Junhyung ordered black coffee and you ordered hot chocolate. When the waitress left, you looked at Junhyung.

‘So… That girl…’ Junhyung knew you were gonna ask about Jihye. He told you the whole story, truthfully. ‘Before my dad died. I was in a private school. I met her there. She started off as my good friend, and we got closer. I asked her out, and we kinda… got together. Nothing romantic.’

‘She looks a lot like me.’ You said. ‘T-that was why… the first time I saw you, do you still remember? I pushed you away. Because just looking at you, it brings back so many memories.’

You kept quiet. He continued. ‘We were always together, me and Jihye. Everyone named us the perfect couple, good looking, both clever, popular… it was like we were made for each other.’

Junhyung’s eyes had a faraway look in it. You couldn’t deny it, you were jealous. Jealous of a dead person. ‘But then one day… she just… left me. It was right after my dad died, and she just… left.’

‘The last words she said were ‘We will meet again, but never be together again.’ She left me alone in that warehouse, the one we were at just now. Since then, I couldn’t find the meaning of life, and all I did was just eat, sleep, and work. My life was empty. Then I met you.’

Junhyung smiled. ‘Don’t think of yourself as a replacement to her. I never loved you just because you looked like her. You know that, right? You much more special than that.’ You stopped him from saying anything else. You understood. ‘But why did she leave you anyway?’ You asked.

‘I don’t know. She wanted to tell me in the warehouse just now, when we were captured, but I stopped her. I thought we’d have a chance to talk later on… but I guess not.’ Junhyung took a sip out of the cup of black coffee.

You shrugged. ‘Oh well. It’s all over, right? We can just continue our lives, forgetting about the incident, right?’ Junhyung nodded, and he cut a piece of the pancake, and fed it to you.

‘And I think you have some explanation to do to the hospital.’ You said, looking at Junhyung’s wound. He grinned. ‘Well, I’ll just tell them I went out with you, and we did something fun.’ He winked. You understood what he was saying and you knocked his head with your knuckles, giggling.

After breakfast, you brought Junhyung back to the hospital, and told the nurse that you were with him the whole night and he was fine. The nurse obviously didn’t believe you guys, but she let it pass anyway.

‘Go get some rest, okay? I’m going back to Hara’s house.’ You said.

 Junhyung nodded obediently, and you left him watching telly in the room.

*Hara’s House.

When you ringed the doorbell, her maid opened the door. It was around 9 in the morning. Doojoon and Leeteuk was awake, and Doojoon was making breakfast for himself.

‘Need help?’ He jumped a little because he didn’t notice you. He smiled. ‘No thanks, I can do it myself.’ He stuck his tongue out cheerfully. ‘How’s your injury?’ You looked at his arm.

‘Fully healed!’ Doojoon joked, beaming. You pretended to poke the bandage and he immediately jumped away from you, laughing. ‘You didn’t get much sleep last night, did you?’ Doojoon guessed.

You nodded, yawning. ‘Go get some rest! The others are still sleeping, so you can use my room. Second room on the left, first floor.’ You nodded obediently, and went to his room.

The room was quite normal compared to the other parts of Hara’s grand house, just a bed, thick fluffy sheets and pillows, a huge mirror by the wall, cupboards and a heater since it was winter.

You threw yourself on the bed, and all the tiredness seeped in, making your eyes close before you could even cover yourself with the blankets.

 

You had the same dream again. The one you had last night. Gunshots, people running, and then Junhyung. Shot. Dead. You woke up, sweating, your heart pounding. You knew it was a dream, but it seemed so real. And the sound of the gunshots were starting to give you a headache.

You looked at the clock. 6 in the evening, you had around 9 hours of sleep. You walked downstairs, to find Kikwang and Dongwoon watching telly in the hall. ‘____-ah, when do you wanna go home? Mom should be worried sick by now.’ Dongwoon said.

You knew the both of you would be totally killed by your mom if you don’t go home again today, so you nodded. ‘Okay, lets go home now then. Hold on, let me look for Hara to thank her.’

‘Oh Hara? She went out. I thanked her already.’ Dongwoon beamed. ‘Oh, and Hyuna’s staying with Kevin, they went back. Teukkie, IU, Hyunseung and Yoseobbie went back too.’

‘I’m leaving soon too!’ Kikwang interrupted, smiling. ‘Shhh. And Doojoonie will stay with Gayoon for a few days because she insisted so, saying that she’ll take care of his injury. Ahh, that boy is so happy right now. Lucky kid. Keke.’

You smiled. ‘Well, then we should leave too.’ Dongwoon got up from the couch. ‘Let’s go!’ Gikwang stayed back, because he wanted to finish the drama he was watching.

Hara’s house wasn’t far from yours, so you and Dongwoon walked back home. ‘What are we going to tell eomma? That we, uhmm, studied in someone’s house? Party? Sleepover? Pub? Bar? No… not that… uhh, yah, give some ideas!’

You watched Dongwoon’s frantic look as he thought about what to tell your mom. ‘Everything is really back to normal. Everything’s fine.’ You thought, smiling.