Chapter 10: His Past

Never a Replacement.

 

‘When I was young, my family was one of the richest around. I lived in a mansion, I had countless toys, my room is bigger than this rooftop, maids pampered me, and I’m not exaggerating.’ Junhyung noticed you looking at him like he was lying, so he added that last bit.

‘Woah. Seriously?’ Mindblown, you thought. ‘Yeah. But, I hardly got to see my parents. They were mostly at work, so I don’t see them. When I was in preschool and my teacher asked me to draw a picture of my dad and mom, I couldn’t, because I couldn’t remember what they looked like. That was the preschool I went to before I changed to the one Hara was in.’

‘I changed preschools, because I was bullied a lot in the one I was in before. I don’t remember much, but I remember the bullying started after the art class, where I couldn’t draw my parents. When I pass by people, they scoff at me, and they laugh at me, saying ‘Oh look, that’s the guy without parents!’’

‘They’d pull my hair and pinch me, and then say ‘Aww, why don’t you go tell your parents? Oh wait, you don’t have parents.’ I had no friends. Teachers didn’t care about us, they just teach for the money. One day, I couldn’t stand it anymore. I went home and told one of my maids about it. She was the closest person to me, and I could tell her everything. Her name was Minsoo.’

‘I told her I didn’t want to go to school anymore, and I told her I wanted to see daddy and mummy more. That was the first time I remember myself crying. She hugged me tight, and I fell asleep in her arms. The next day, I went to a new preschool. I still didn’t see my parents much, not until I was 10.’

‘What happened when you were 10?’ You asked. ‘I was the only child, so my dad wanted to pass his business on to me. I didn’t know what he was working as back then. But he started to see me more, teaching me about currencies, names of some drugs, how to smuggle them in without the police knowing, bribing and stuff.’

You gasped a little. ‘Y-your dad was a drug dealer?’ You knew the answer already, but you asked anyway. Junhyung nodded. He continued. ‘I started to get the hang of it when I was 11 and I helped my dad with some stuff. When I was 14, the bad things started to happen.’

‘It was March, and my dad and mom went to collect a huge amount of drugs. They usually order others to do it, but that one time, they did it alone, because many of the workers weren’t free and it was a huge amount of drugs, so they wanted to play safe. I didn’t know how at first, but the police found out about the exchange of drugs, and they caught my mom redhanded. My dad ran away though. He never thought of saving mom.’

You held Junhyung hand as he said, ‘Mom was sentenced to prison for the rest of her life. Dad didn’t want her to blurt out anything about him and the bad things he had done, so he sent a few guys in prison that worked for him to kill mom. She was stabbed a few times in her back, and left to bleed to death.’

Junhyung said all of this, without any expression on his face. His eyes were empty and just… empty. ‘When I was 15, dad went to collect the drugs again, and he brought me along. This time, we were betrayed by the guy that was supposed to give us the drugs. They didn’t bring any, they just wanted to trick my dad into going. They caught him, and shot him a few times in the head.’

‘I was lucky. I got away, but I think those guys might look for me again someday. Since that day, I lost my parents. But I didn’t cry a tear as I went to their funeral. They meant nothing to me. I was an orphan starting from the moment the bullet went through my dad’s head. But it was okay, I still had the person I was closest to. Minsoo, the only one that I thought actually cared about me.’

‘I thought I would be fine staying with her. But then one day, she went out buying groceries and I accidentally saw some messages in her phone. She was too careless, she didn’t delete them. She was the one. The one that betrayed us, telling the police, letting my mom get caught. She was the one that told the guys that my dad was collecting the drugs, telling them to trap him and kill him.’

‘When she came back, I didn’t dare to even look at her. It was because I knew, it was all my fault. I trusted her too much. I was the one that told her when my parents were collecting the drugs, I told her everything I knew. I should’ve been more cautious. The next day, I left the house. I brought some money, but I finished it fast. I rented an apartment illegally, since I was underage.’ You could see the pain in his eyes as he told you about how he was betrayed by someone he trusted so much.

‘Didn’t your parents leave you any money?’ You tried to change the topic. Junhyung answered, ‘No. There was hardly any money anyway, they lost a lot of money in the share markets before my dad died. I didn’t have enough money to attend the private school anymore, so I changed to a government school when I was 16.’

‘Since then, I’ve been working in stores and restaurants, but I sweared to myself that I would never do anything involving drugs and smuggling. I do some illegal things, like going to those illegal boxing rings though. Those where they place bets on you, and you get some money after the game’s over. That’s where I hurt my left wrist.’

You looked down at his left wrist. It was bandaged, but you didn’t notice it before. ‘I thought it was an injury Hara’s bodyguards gave you.’ You ran your fingers over the bandage lightly. Junhyung smiled a little. ‘No. It was there since two years ago, the doctor came in just now and mentioned something about it being fractured for the fifth time or something like that.’ He chuckled.

You smiled, looking up at him, straight into his eyes. He brushed some of your hair away from your eyes. ‘You’re beautiful.’ He smiled. You blushed again. ‘Usually in the movies, these scenes are where the main actress has makeup on with her hair all brushed nicely and dressed in a beautiful long dress before they…’ You started mumbling weird stuff. Junhyung lifted your chin slightly and he kissed you on the lips.

It lasted for what you felt like forever. ‘Please let time stop at this very second,’ You thought, as his soft lips that felt like cotton candy kissed yours. When the both of you finally stopped, he said, ‘Screw those movies, the main actresses aren’t as beautiful as you.’ He kissed you again, this time, on the forehead. ‘I love you.’ He mumbled between kisses.

At this moment, you felt like you were flying. But Junhyung, he wasn’t so secure about this. He still kept a secret from you. About the girl he used to be with… The girl that looked so much like you. The girl that left him all alone. He backed away a little to look at your face. ‘I love you too…’ You whispered, just loud enough for him to hear.

Junhyung looked at you, smiling. You grinned, feeling like jumping off the rooftop and flying with pink fluffy unicorns. But you didn’t notice that slight look of guilt in Junhyung’s eyes. He felt guilty, because he didn’t tell you… yet. ‘I might as well keep it a secret first.’ He thought.