Epilogue

Never a Replacement.

 

5 years later.

You threw yourself on a comfy sofa in your house. Our house, you thought. You, and Junhyung. It was a just a tiny apartment, enough for two, with a tiny living room, a master bedroom and a small dining table attached to the wall.

It was 8 at night. You finished cooking dinner, and you were waiting, for him. Soon enough, you heard the sound of the door opening. He walked in while loosening his tie, and threw the files and other stuff he brought back from the office onto the floor. He sat down beside you, and cuddled you in his arms. You tickled his tummy, giggling. ‘Yah. My scar.’ He knocked your head.

You tugged his shirt up a little, revealing a scar on his lower abdomen. A scar created, 5 years ago, along with the love created between you and him. ‘Dinner’s ready.’ You said cheerfully.

He pecked you on the cheek. ‘I love you.’ He whispered beside your ear.

‘I love you too, Yong Junhyung.’

You guys weren’t married, not yet. Junhyung was working, and even at a young age, he was well respected for the knowledge he had in his job. You were still studying. You took a medical course, with your twin brother, Son Dongwoon. You aspired to be a surgeon, and he wanted to be a pathologist.

You moved out of your house 2 years ago. With all the money you and Junhyung had, you guys bought this apartment. You had some income from being a houseman at the hospital. Dongwoon still stayed with your mother, and you visited them every Sunday. Junhyung always accompanied you. Your mother didn’t like Junhyung a lot at first, but her opinions are changing.

Yoseob and Hyunseung still kept in touch with you and Dongwoon. Yoseob was officially going out with IU, they’ve been together ever since the incident 5 years ago. Hyunseung.. That boy has had feelings for HyunA ever since she broke up with Kevin, but.. I guess you can say she’s a really hard target. But you could tell HyunA liked him too, even if it was that one little bit.

Leeteuk continued being a teacher, and he’d occasionally meet up with his students. Doojoon took a psychology course, and he was in the same school as you. He didn’t look like that type that would be a psychologist, huh? Well, he wasn’t one bit interested in his course at first, but he went there, for a reason. Gayoon.

Gikwang joined the police force. Still as cheerful as ever, he stayed happy, even without a girlfriend. But being the blur self he always is, he didn’t realize the one that was always there for him, and would always be. Hara. She felt herself fall for him a long time ago, but she didn’t want to just couple with him, or wait for him to ask her out. She enjoyed their relationship like now, more than friends, but still.. Friends.

And lastly, Kevin. About a year ago, he moved to Australia, along with his sister, Jiyeon. You guys kept in touch via Twitter, but from what you’ve heard from him, he was still single. You sometimes wonder, what would’ve happened, if you’d gone with Kevin instead. But no, it just didn’t seem right. It didn’t feel right with anyone else except Junhyung.

It was winter already. In the winter season 5 years ago, you and Junhyung went back to the warehouse. He was reluctant at first, even though it was his idea. He led you to the back of the warehouse, where a empty land of grass was located. He fished out some paper and a pen from his pocket.

‘Write. A letter to yourself, 5 years later.’ He said to you, softly. You took the paper and pen, and started writing. After you were done, Junhyung did the same thing. Then, he threw both the letters into a box and burried it under  the most significant tree.

Today, was the day. 5 years later. It was a Sunday. Junhyung woke up earlier than you, and he quietly left the apartment without you noticing. He went back to the warehouse, and dug up the box.

‘To the me, 5 years older! Heyyo! Wassup! Are you still your cheerful self? You’ve become a pro doctor, haven’t you? Keke. Are you still friends with who you were 5 years ago? Do you think back on that incident a lot? You do, don’t you. But it isn’t important anymore. Most importantly, are you still with who meant most to you 5 years ago? I don’t think this should be a question. You are still with him. I’m sure. You’d never leave him. The love of your life. Your special one, the one and only, gentle, soft, lovable, cocky, handsome, funny, cute, understanding one you could never live without. Yong Junhyung.’

A tear trickled down Junhyung’s face. He never cried since Jihye’s death. But this time, he cried, our of happiness.

‘5 years older Yong Junhyung. Still looking handsome, aren’t you? Heh. Well, I have no idea what you’d be doing 5 years away from now, but I’m sure, you haven’t let go of her, have you. You still remember Jihye, but as a friend. And I bet on it with my life that you’re still with the one you love most, the one you started off thinking of her as a replacement, but realizing how much more she is than that, the one you would protect with your life, the one you couldn’t live without. I’d slap you hard in the face if you’re with anyone else but her.’

He chuckled at his childish self 5 years ago. He took a pen out of his pocket, and wrote on the same piece of paper he did 5 years ago.

‘Save the slap. I would never leave her, not in the past, not now, not in the future. Sincerely yours, 5 years later Yong Junhyung.’

He took both the letters and brought it home, and placed it beside you on the bed. You were still sound asleep.

When you woke up, you saw the letters. Without you noticing, tears formed on the corners of your eyes and trickled down your cheeks as memories from 5 years ago came back into your mind.

You walked into the living room. Junhyung was sitting on the couch, watching the news. He noticed your reddened eyes, and gestured for you to sit beside him.

‘So you did think of me as a replacement once, huh?’ You asked jokingly.

‘That was what I thought. 5 years ago, when I didn’t know you, hardly. But now that I think of it again, you were never a replacement.’ He hugged your face, rubbing his face on your neck.

You smiled. That was all you needed to know. That.. You were never a replacement.