Chapter 12: Danger?

Never a Replacement.

 

After you left the café, you went straight to the hospital. When you went into Junhyung’s room, he was sleeping. You quietly sat at the chair beside him, trying not to wake him up.

You were bored, so you leant forward and looked at Junhyung’s face. ‘He looks so cute when he sleeps.’ You thought while smiling. You looked closely at his features.

Thick eyebrows, high nose, and his lips… they were so beautiful. ‘It looks just like a heart shape,’ You thought. You leaned closer, as you heard his slow breathing. ‘I could stay like this forever.’ You thought.

And then his eyes flicked open. He wasn’t surprised when he saw you. He smirked as he said, ‘So, how long have you been observing my handsome face?’ His cocky personality took over the gentle and soft one that was there when he was sleeping.

‘Yah. Must you be so cocky? You were so much better when you were sleeping.’ You were just joking around, but Junhyung took it seriously this time. ‘I… I’m sorry. I guess… being cocky is just my way of hiding my true feelings. I’m just used to it… because I’ve been doing it… so that I won’t get hurt.’

You wanted to tell him it was okay, but he continued. ‘Even when I realized I fell in love with you, there was still that part of me… that part of me that hid myself away from you, because I was worried you would hurt me. And I know that if you did, I wouldn’t be able to continue living. Because you mean too much to me.’

You smiled. You didn’t know what to say, but your smile ensured Junhyung that his choice was right. You wouldn’t ever betray him. He placed his hand on your cheek, as you edged closer and the both of you kissed.

Suddenly, his phone rang. He hesitated a little before leaving your lips, and reaching for the phone. ‘Junhyung speaking.’ He felt like beating this person up for calling him at the wrong time.

On the other side of the line, a man scoffed. He took the cigarette out of his mouth and said. ‘Ah. Daeseung’s son. It’s been a while, hmm.’ Junhyung froze. This voice… . He cursed silently, because he didn’t want you to know anything. It was the guy that killed his dad.

‘Oh… Sorry, I’m not interested in buying insurance. Thanks. Bye.’ Junhyung put down the phone. You realized his expression was a little weird, but you didn’t ask anything.

‘____-ah, can you help me buy something to eat downstairs?’ Junhyung looked at you. ‘Okay…’ Something was fishy here, you thought. But you went down anyway.

The phone rang again. This time, the man sounded more pissed than before.

‘If you dare put down the phone again, you’ll never get to see Jihye again.’ The man hissed, threatening Junhyung. ‘J-jihye? What have you done with her?’ Junhyung was shocked. Many thoughts went into his mind.

Jihye, the girl that was once his whole world. The sweet smile, big innocent eyes, the soft voice she used when she was with him, the times that they ate ice cream together, the photos they took with her camera, the shirt she gave him that was still in his cupboard, the beach they always went. All the memories came flooding back.

Junhyung thought he’d got rid of them, locked him in a box and threw the key away, but apparently, the box decided to break open and everything about her flooded his thoughts. The man’s voice startled him.

‘She’s fine now, but she won’t be if you don’t come tonight.’ ‘W-where are you?’

‘The warehouse that both you and her hid the box. She said you’d know.’

Of course Junhyung knew. He’d never forget that day. It was the last day he had with her. She didn’t say anything, of course. The both of them were bored, so they decided they’d write a letter to their future selves, and open them in 5 years time.

Junhyung forgot what he wrote, but he’d never forget Jihye’s. ‘Hello, the 21 years old me. Have you grown prettier? Keke. Are you taking your medical degree already? And most importantly, have you married Yong Junhyung? If you haven’t, you’d better do it fast! You can’t lose him, okay? Because he’s the most important thing you have. Sincerely yours, the 16 year old you.’

Junhyung sighed. ‘I’ll be there.’ He put down the phone.

He thought about it a little. ‘Should I really go? Jihye was the one that ran away first, she betrayed me first, why am I still thinking about saving her?’

Another part of him thought, ‘Maybe she had her reason. Maybe she didn’t do it on purpose. Maybe she still loved me, maybe we could still be together.’

And then Junhyung thought about you.

‘Who do you love more?’ The words rang in his head.