#6 Meeting Mac, Hoya and Dongwoo

When you stopped smiling.

The monday after hanging out at Kris's house is when things took a turn for the worst,his parents were fighting more than ever,his class bullied him whenever Suho wasn't paying attention,simply because they knew the older boy would protect Chanyeol if he saw the bullying.


Chanyeol knew Suho would tell Kris so he never told him the class continued to bully him,and lately his vision has been blurry,he's always been near sighted and it never bothered him too much,but he hated having to pull out his glasses in class.

So last night he and his parents had a conversation involving his vision,luckily his parents weren't fighting at the moment,but they were a bit snippy towards one another,he was sure they argued that night after dinner,they had taken to arguing when they sure he was asleep but he could still hear them.


Chanyeol walked into the kitchen,his mom was at the counter chopping up some kimchi as water boiled for noodles,his dad was at the table doing paperwork. "Mom,dad can I talk to you guys for a minute?" His dad looked up and sighed. "I'm busy Chanyeol." Chanyeol looked down,knowing that meant 'No' to his dad. His mother frowned when she saw his face downcast. She turned the stove on a low heat and wiped her hands on her apron.


"Our son has something to say,you can take a moment out of work to listen to him." She spoke calmly,but Chanyeol could practically see the woman clenching her teeth in anger at his father. His father looked at the woman in a glare,but sighed and sat back.


"Fine...speak boy." Chanyeol frowned,whenever his father was angry he didn't call him 'Son' or 'Chanyeol' he called him 'Boy'. "I want lasik surgery." His mother stopped cutting the kimchi and looked at Chanyeol with wide eyes.


His father looked up from his paperwork and leaned back staring at Chanyeol with an unusual expression. "Why? That costs money Chanyeol,use your glasses and the contacts." Chanyeol bit his lip then spoke. "The contacts hurt my eyes and the glasses are a hassle." He didn't want his parents to know he's being bullied,they had enough to worry about.


His mother sat down and placed a hand on her son's arm. "It's a lot of money sweetie." Chanyeol bit his lip and nodded. She said it gently and glared at Chanyeol's father.


"Go take a shower before dinner and finsih your homework,if you need help ,I'll help you after dinner." She spoke,his father set there silenty staring.
As Chanyeol left he could hear his father. "Stop babying him woman,he'll never learn anything on his own if you do!" He got out of there before he could hear his mom's reply.


So in the end it was a 'no' to the surgery,but he wanted to fix his eyesight before it got worse. And he wanted people to stop bullying him for wearing glasses. It didn't make much sense,since half of the student body wore glasses.


"Pft here comes the class moron." He heard someone say on his right side,as he made his way to his desk he froze and turned to see if Suho had seen. He looked by down at his desk and quickly placed his books on the desk top just as Suho entered the room.


He opened his book as the teacher walked in,but his mind were on the words scratched and wrote on his desk. He couldn't read very well with his dyslexia,but he knew enough to realize what it said.


'Read this retard' amongst things like 'Loser' and 'Go die' and 'Get out,stop crying to Suho' and one of the worst  'Can you even read this? lol go away no one want you here,Suho just pities you'.  He bit his lip to keep from crying,in the corner of his eye he could see his classmates holding in snickers and pointing at him when Suho's head was face down towards his school work.


But instead of crying he simply started smiling,making his classmates scowl over the fact that he didn't cry.


That day at lunch,he acted normal in front of the other eleven boys. "So I accidentally tripped the math teacher,I swear it was an accident! I'm not a bully!" Kai said in defense as Chen snickered and the others sighed. Lay the quiet one of the group spoke up.

"So what happened after that?" Kai leaned back. "I got sent to the principles office and he was about to give me detention,but Kyungsoo here said the math teacher hates me and always gives me a hard time.

And I got off with a warning." Kyungsoo looked down blushing. Chanyeol smiled,Suho sighed and stood up.

Kris looked at him. "Where are you going?" Suho looked at him. "I left my MP3 player in my desk in homeroom,I gotta go get it before the bell rings." Chanyeol then remembered his desk and didn't want Suho to see it.


"Suho Hyung! I'll go get it,I forgot to grab something too!" Suho gave him a look but shrugged. "Okay then."


He quickly ran to the janitor closet,it was unlocked,he looked through the shelves until he found some table cleaner and a wash rag,he quickly grabbed those and ran to homeroom,going into the room,he saw no one was there and sighed in relief.


He scrubbed and scrubbed,it was coming off but it was turning his fingers red from how hard he was having to scrub. He finally got it off,when he looked at his fingers he noticed they were light pink and throbbed a little. He sighed and walked to Suho's desk,looking in the compartment,he felt the MP3 player along with a note.


'I should put this back,it's not my business....' He was about to put the note back when he dropped it,it fell open and he noticed his name. He struggled to read it through his disability but managed to after a few minutes.


'Suho Oppa, it's best if you don't talk to Chanyeol,you'll only get bullied with him,besides he's a loser,you don't need people like him dragging you down.'
Chanyeol looked at the note and back at Suho's desk.

"Chanyeol?" He turned,it was a guy named Hoya,he had been in Chanyeol's class all year,but unlike the others,he was a lot like Suho and didn't bully him,Chanyeol thought Hoya didn't even notice. "Yeah?" Hoya walked in and glanced over Chanyeol as Chanyeol hurriedly put the note into his pocket. "What are you doing here?"


"Ah I had forgot where I put my locker combination." Hoya stared for a minute then nodded. "Ah..I see,so uhhh about the writing on your desk." Hoya trailed off,so he had seen it.


 Chanyeol looked down and then back to Hoya. "Please don't tell Suho hyung." Hoya sighed. "Fine,I won't tell but please get help before it's too late." Hoya then left ,Chanyeol frowned,that was weird. 'Really weird' Chanyeol thought.


He shrugged and walked back to the lunchroom,he looked around no one was there,where did the guys go?
He looked down at Suho's MP3 player and sighed,great 'they left me again'.


"Hello?" He turned to see a short guy ,shorter than Suho and that was saying something. "Yeah?" The guy nodded. "You're Chanyeol right?" He nodded.
"I was told by Suho to let you know the guys had club practices to get too,since I'm part of the school commitee with Suho he asked me if I could let you know and to bring him his MP3 there in the conference room." Chanyeol narrowed his eyes but nodded.


"I'm sorry,but who are you again?" The short guy's eyes widened and he sputtered an apology. "I'm sorry! I'm Dongwoo! I forgot to introduce myself again.."He started mumbling to himself as Chanyeol chuckled,Dongwoo acted a lot like him.

"It's fine,nice to meet you Dongwoo-sshi" Dongwoo shook his head. "Please just Dongwoo is fine!" Dongwoo smiled brightly. "I gotta go now,please tell Suho-sshi that I can't make it,I have somewhere to be with my best friend!" Chanyeol nodded and watched as Dongwoo ran out of the cafeteria.
His eyes widened when he watched Dongwoo hug the weird guy from his class Hoya.


'Hoya knows Dongwoo?' He shrugged and made his way to Suho,forwning at a thought. 'Not even Kris told me he had to go.....'


~


After dropping off Suho's MP3 player and an apology from Suho for not waiting for him,Chanyeol walked out of the school building to where the gardener was sitting ,taking a rest. "Hello sir!" The gardener looked up with surprise and chuckled.

Patting the spot next to him with a chuckle.

"Hello my boy,what brings you out to visit this old man?" Chaneyol smiled. "I just wanted to see how you were,I never got to thank you properly the other day when I gave you a juice that time. You know for keeping me company." The old man smiled.


"It was nothing boy,tell me son,what's your name?" Chanyeol stood up abruptly and bowed. "Park Chanyeol sir!" The old man nodded. "Ah,just call me Mac." Chanyeol raised an eyebrow at the odd name. The old man 'Mac' chuckled knowingly. "My father was Korean American and he wanted to keep some part of his American culture ,even if it's only a name, cause when he married my mother here in Korea he knew I'd probably never know much of America." Chanyeol nodded.  


"So Chanyeol,how are you and your friends getting along?" Chanyeol frowned,he forgot about that. "Honestly? I feel like they don't realize how much it hurts everytime they leave without telling me or making plans when I want to hang out and not let me know about those plans." Mac nodded.


"Friends do that sometimes ,they drift and only when something bad happens will they realize what they have in front of them. But you just gotta keep pushing through it and not give up."Chanyeol nodded listening intently to the words of the older man,the man looked to be in his sixties.


"But sometimes they don't even know,I don't want them to worry about me,but I feel like they should at least know something is wrong,you knew something was wrong even before you met me." Chanyeol explained. Mac nodded.


 "There's the thing boy,your closest friends and family with never realize anything is wrong with you,strangers might realize something is wrong because they might've went through it themselves. And I notice cause I've been working as this school's gardener for 40 years."


Chanyeol's eyes widened,this man's been working here since he was in his 20s?


"Forty..you aren't tired of gardening?" Mac smiled, and sighed. "It's tiresome,especially for me,I'm not young anymore,but I love it,I met my wife in high school,she loved flowers,she loved it so much,I got into it,we married when I was 25 years old,she started a flower shop and I was a gardener for the school." Chanyeol was interested. He kept silent as he saw the story wasn't over.


"I had done my army services when I was 22 so there was no need for me to leave her again. I was 34 at the time,she was 32 when she called to say she had news,I went home from work immediately,we were having a baby." Chanyeol smiled.


"Yep 6 pounds,2 ounces,a tuft of black hair,we had a little girl." Chanyeol was smiling widely. Then Mac sighed,leaning back. "I had retired from gardening when I was 36,our daughter was 2 at the time,but my wife got sick,don't know what it was...she passed away when my daughter turned 9. It hurt my little girl's heart and I missed my wife. I still do miss her."


Chanyeol was silently listening,his heart breaking for the older man beside him. The man sighed, "My daughter took over her mother's shop when she graduated college and told me,I should do something I loved.

To be honest I didn't really have something I loved more than her mother and my daughter herself. So I decided to do the one thing that both my wife and daughter loved and so here I am,still gardening. My daughter still running her mother's flower shop to this day,has a child of her own now." Chanyeol frowned.


Mac chuckled. "Don't be sad boy,I miss my wife yes,but I know I'll see her in heaven soon."


Mac looked at his watch and stood up it was 4pm. "You better be getting home now Chanyeol,I myself will finish putting the tools away,I'm going out to eat with my daughter's family tonight. See you around my boy." Chanyeol bowed and left after saying thanks and goodbye,Mac stood watching him go.  'Goodbye my boy,you're a good kid.' He chuckled to himself and bent to get a the water hose,he stood up and flinched,grabbing his heart,the pain in his chest making him puff out and then it ebbed away.


'This old heart is getting weak' Mac sighed and walked to the tool shed.


~

An especially long chapter why? Cause August 12th is my birthday \o/

I mean to post it up BEFORE my birthday ended but it slipped my mind until now OTL

Anyways as a gift to you guys and myself for my birthday a chapter for you! XD