A Blackout in the Elevator

God, You're Confusing

 

Crap. The newcomer walked up to me and narrowed his eyes.

“Uh, Taemin, is something the matter?” the short guy asked, finally slowing down to an understandable speed.

“Hyung, who’s this supposed to be?” T-something growled, stepping closer to me than I was comfortable with. I purposely stepped away from him and closer to another member, the girly looking one.

“Taemin, don’t scare our new homestay!” the girly looking one chastised.

“When did we get a homestay?” Tamint, or whatever his name was, asked as he crossed his arms across his chest. “This sounds like a scam, Key.”

“Well, umma thought it would be a good idea for you to have some friends, and this opportunity just popped up out of the blue,” stammered Key. Even, though Key seemed to be oblivious to most things, he stepped between me and Taemint. Gah, Taemint seemed to have some serious anger issues. So, as far as I could tell, I was going to be surrounded by a talkative dinosaur, a girly boy with umma issues, and a brat who seriously needed some anger management programs. The other two members of the group looked reasonably sane. Scratch that, the guy holding the half baked chicken was definitely not normal.

“Look, I think we should just send her back to wherever she came from; buy her a ticket or whatever, but I don’t want an obsessive fan in our dorm. She’s probably going to sniff my shirts, or peep on me.” Taemint seemed to really dislike me, and I got the feeling that the first impression I left on him in the bathroom was probably not the greatest.

“Well, we can’t send her back, and she’s not an obsessive fan girl, so calm down,” said the guy holding the chicken.

“She is an obsessive fan, she--” at this point, I cut him off by forcefully introducing myself.

“Hello, I’m Song Young Rin! It’s a pleasure to meet most of you,” I smiled at the one remaining member of the group who I didn’t have an issue with.

Unfortunately, the short guy took my greeting to heart, “I’m Jonghyun, and I’m sure most of us will make your stay as comfortable and welcoming as possible.”

“I’m Key, and I’m sure you’ll find most of us to be accommodating and helpful.”

“I’m Onew, and I like chicken.”

“I’m Minho.”

After the succinct introductions, there was an awkward silence as we waited for Taemint to introduce himself.

I tried to help him out. “You’re Taemint, right?”

The group burst out into laughter.

“Taemin, you say she’s an obsessive fan, and she doesn’t even know your name!” Jonghyun slapped Taemin on his back.

If possible, Taemin glared at me harder.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

After numerous complaints from Taemin on the car ride, we finally arrived at the dorm.

“Taemin, stay here and help Young Rin with her luggage. We need to go do…something,” Onew finished awkwardly, and then almost tripped on his feet.

“Onew, your lameness just ruined the bonding process!” Key whispered dramatically as he dragged the poor guy back into the car. In the matter of a few seconds, the rest of the members followed, leaving me with Taemin.

“Um, is there an elevator we can use?” I asked, after I realized that Taemin was purposely ignoring me. He was listening to music, and his player was turned up so loud that I could hear it from five feet away. Sighing, I decided that the guy was a lost case. After a few minutes of searching, I found an elevator behind a curtain. Who the hell puts a curtain in front of an elevator?

Just as the doors to the elevator had opened, Taemin pushed me off to the side, and walked in. I glowered at his back, as I lugged my suitcase in after him. He continued to ignore me. Obviously, he had some issues, and it wasn’t a wonder why he had no friends; he was a conceited jerk-head -face.

“I’m a what?” Taemin looked at me, and I realized that I had just said everything out loud. Luckily for me, the elevator stopped and the lights went off five seconds after he asked me.

I can handle dark spaces, and I can handle tight spaces, but I can’t handle a teenage boy grabbing at my hand and freaking out in a dark tight space. I could hear him hyperventilating beside me, and I offered him a half-hearted reassuring pat. I didn’t expect him to clutch at my hand like a dying cat. His nails were longer than mine, and they were digging into my skin.

“Are you okay?” Stupid question #1.

"Do I sound like I'm okay?" Taemin snapped at me, but didn't let go of my hand.

"Is there an emergency phone anywhere?" I asked. 

"The power's out, stupid," he was such a jerk, and he still hadn't let go of my hand. I tried to free myself from his grip, and I found myself being hugged tightly.

"Don't go anywhere," he whispered into my back, "I'm scared."