Flutter in My Heart

God, You're Confusing

 

I stared, unimpressed by Taemin's choice of a movie. 

"Taemin, why did you choose a horror movie?" I asked, staring at the opening credits. "They're all gore and no plot." Taemin was busy shoving popcorn into his face. 

"I like horror movies, and besides, Key told us to have a good time," Taemin said, hugging the popcorn bag to his chest. I tried to reach for a handful, but Taemin swatted my hand away. 

"You know, we both bought that popcorn," I said, glaring at him. He looked at me innocently.

"Young Rin, the movie's starting!" he said, desperate to get me away from his precious popcorn. I sighed and flicked him before I settled back into my seat.

The movie was boring, and I wound up watching Taemin more than the screaming characters on screen. It was pretty cute how his nose scrunched up when yet another girl died and his brow furrowed when random guts splattered the screen. After a while, he started whimpering.

"I'm scared," he whispered to me, as he tried to reach for my hand. I rolled my eyes; he didn't think he'd be scared til now? Still, I let him hold my hand because otherwise he would've started clawing at my arm.

"Thanks," he said, so quietly that I could barely hear it. He gave my hand a squeeze, and after a moment, I squeezed back.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That movie was so amazing!" Taemin gushed to me as we left the theater. "I wasn't actually scared, you know. I--" Suddenly, his expression changed and he stopped walking. I nearly broke my nose when I walked into him. 

"I think I forgot my bag in the theater," he said, trying to push me back into the darkened room. I laughed, handing him his bag. He was such a scatterbrain sometimes. 

"You're welcome," I teased, as I handed him the bag. "What would you do without me?" Taemin continued to stand in front of me. "Let's go before the traffic starts." He ignored me, and I tried a different approach. "If you let me go, I'll buy you more popcorn!" When even this failed to work, I got fed up, and I pushed past him. 

Then, I nearly tripped on my feet when I saw what Taemin was trying to hide from me.

Jay was there, and he was kissing a girl, a beautiful girl, and she was kissing him back. Suddenly, I felt lightheaded, and I wobbled unsteadily outside. It was raining, and for once, I didn't care that the rain was soaking my skin. I didn't care, for once, that my tears were making tracks on my face, because all I could think about was Jay in the courtyard a day ago.

"Have you thought about what I said to you yet?" Jay teased, as he twirled his finger in my hair. We were in the courtyard again, and I started playing with my fingers, my head in Jay's lap. 

"A little bit," I confessed, smiling up at him. 

"You're beautiful," he said, planting a kiss on my forehead. "If I could be lucky enough to love you, I'd never look at another girl."

Even though it was cheesy and romantic nonsense, I still believed it. Taemin silently walked up behind me and somehow, with his help, I made it into his car.

For once, I cried in front of a boy.

For once, he said nothing as I cried.

After I was done crying, I watched the rain pour down outside, and felt my heart fall apart.

"Taemin," I asked, my voice hoarse from crying. "Do you think a normal, cute, funny guy will ever like me?"

For a moment, he didn't answer.

"No," he replied slowly, all traces of teasing gone from his voice, "because an extraordinary, extremely y, and talented guy already loves you."

Then, without giving me time to consider his words, he pulled me close towards him and kissed me.

Without thinking, I closed my eyes and kissed him back.