Contradictions in Cereal

God, You're Confusing

 

"I'm hungry." These were the words that greeted me as soon as I stepped out of the shower. Well, it looked like he had finally regained consciousness. Unfortunately, I wasn't sure if that was a good thing. I supposed I should be happy he wasn't dead. Shaking my wet hair, I slipped into an oversize shirt and shorts. As I walked into the living room, I could see Taemin hunched over with his hands on a video game controller, and beating flashing characters to death with a giant club. 

"I'm hungry," he repeated, not turning around to face me. So much for politeness.

"Wait until Key gets home and can cook for us," I said, as I went into the kitchen and helped myself to a banana.

"Hyung isn't coming back tonight."

Taemin finally stopped his game, and hopped onto the sofa to face me.

"Well, fix yourself some cereal."

 I peeled my banana and took a huge bite.

"I'm a dancer, not a cook," he said, as he glowered at me. I put down my banana and stomped over to the nearest cupboard.

"Fine, I'll make you some cereal then."

"I don't want breakfast food for dinner,"

Now he was full out pouting at me.

"Too bad, I dragged you all the way from the elevator; I don't owe you a gourmet dinner," I said as I rummaged in the cupboard. Ew, who ate dried prunes?

"You also knocked me out...I could've died from that!"

Why was he such a drama queen? Ignoring him, I poured some milk into a bowl and set it on the oven top. I turned the heating dial and tapped my foot as I waited for the milk to warm up.

"Why are you heating up the milk? I don't like warm milk."

 Taemin was now standing next to me and peering critically at the bowl of milk. He looked like he was about to turn off the flame, but I slapped his hand away.

"Cold milk makes you fart," I stated matter of factly as I stirred the milk with a wooden spoon. If I was going to be roommates with this guy, I definitely wasn’t going to smell his farts tonight, or any other night. He immediately shut up after that, and even got out the bowls and spoons. He sat down at the kitchen table and began fiddling around with his fingers. After a few minutes, I took the bowl off the flame and poured it into Taemin’s bowl.

“Aren’t you going to have some?” Taemin asked me. Was that a hint of concern I saw in his eyes?

“No, it’s fine,” I smiled, as I sat down across from him, “I’ll just have some fruit.” Unexpectedly, he poured half of his milk into my bowl.

“Cold fruit at night is bad for your digestion and makes you gassy,” he said, a hint of a smile playing at his lips. I smiled back, and accepted the bowl of milk. Maybe he wasn't so bad after all...

After a sip of milk, I spit it out.

“What the hell is this stuff?” I asked, as a I wiped my mouth on a napkin.

“It’s goat milk with banana flavoring,” Taemin smiled happily as he dug into his bowl with great enthusiasm, “I hope you liked it.”

 

Never mind what I said about him showing concern…he was still a jerk.