I Missed You

Chasing Pavements (discontinued- so sorry!)

Yunho

 

I was on my way back to my condominium when I saw Jaejoong hugging a guy! I can't believe this! I couldn’t stand the view so I turned my back and quickly walked away without turning back. I couldn't believe that Jae would actually hug someone that passionately (well, it looked romantic) and even more to a guy! I wouldn’t mind if it was a friendly hug, but the way they hugged was so intimate. While heading down to the basement, mom called me on the phone. "Yah, where are you? Haven't I told you to never use your credit card to buy a car?" She’s yelling again.

"I didn't." I said huskily.

"What?"

"I bought a motorbike. It's more convenient for me than a car."

"But that's dangerous too!"

Mom sounded worried but I'm not in the mood to talk to anyone right now. "I'm hanging up now mom."

"Yah! Don’t hang up on me!" I ignored her and hung up.

I was speeding like I never did before. The road seemed empty as if it's favoring my mood today. I was really angry with Jae. Why did he do that, and more importantly in front of me?! I shouted on my mind. Doesn't he love me anymore? Doesn't he care about what I might feel? I drove on and on without thinking where to go. All of the sudden, I was on the end of the block where Jaejoong lives. I stopped and hopped off my bike. I waited for about an hour before Jae arrived. It was really late. I looked at him with sweet eyes. I couldn't help, but forgive him for what he had done earlier.

He was walking alone and staring down the road while walking. "Hey." I called. He looked at me, startled.

"You... What are you doing here?" He said in an angry and shocked voice.

"I wanted to see you. I missed you." I said, honestly.

There was a long silence. "Stop talking nonsense."

"Do you... really... don't have any feelings for me anymore?"

He chuckled, "Do you think I'm crazy? I'm not that crazy Yunho. I'm completely over with you, in fact, I have a girlfriend. Ha, I am not going to do the same mistakes that I've done before. I'm never going to fall in love with a man again particularly to a man like you!" He walked away. I watched him leave and tears filled my eyes.

I went back to my bike and drove away. I wanted to go home and sleep. I'll just pretend that these things never happened. I know he was just testing me, my loyalty and my love for him. This will pass on. I will never give up. I started the engine and sped up.

When I arrived at my condominium, I looked at the clock. It was already 2:00 in the morning. Ah. It's really late. I need to go to sleep or I will be late tomorrow. If I'm late, Jaejoong's going to be discouraged. I went straight to bed after changing clothes. I set the alarm clock 8:00 in the morning and drifted to sleep.

"Why am I floating in the sky?"

"Yunho..." Who is calling me? "Yunho..."

"Who are you? Show yourself so I may see you face."

"Yunho, don't you recognize me?" Yeah, now that I think of it, the voice sounded so familiar.

"Jae? Is that you?" I am really sure that is his voice.

"Yes, Yunho. And I’m here to hunt you.”  

"What? Why? Listen; don’t do something stupid like that. I am sorry for everything, but I love you. I'm really sorry for rejecting you before. I realized that I was wrong. I really love you. I would sacrifice my life for you. Just please, listen to my heart.”

Suddenly, he appeared in front of me. He was flying, and he had tiny wings behind him. It looked real. It looked like cupid’s wings! Not just that, he had halo on his head too!

"Really? You would really sacrifice yourself for me? Prove it, Yunho. Prove it.”

I was beginning to stutter. I couldn’t take my eyes off of his tiny wings. He shouldn’t have wings or halo, we both know that we’re human and we’re still living on earth. We shouldn’t be here either but whether I like it or not, the two of us are already floating in the sky with pretty clouds around us. Oh my God, what is happening?

“W-Why? Why do you have wings?”

“You did this to me, Yunho.”

“W-What did I do to you?”

“Everything.” I almost had a heart attack when his halo faded away and a two horns on his head appeared out of nowhere. “Anata-no-koto daikirai…” Now, he was even speaking another language. What language is that? Japanese? What do I say in reply? I don’t understand Japanese well. I only know the basics for God’s sake.

“Anata-no-koto daikirai…” He kept on repeating those words. He was trying to get it in my head. Slowly, the clouds around us began to dissolve and Jaejoong was departing away from me. Laughing and dancing.

 Until I was alone and I had nothing to stand on. I felt like I was falling down and down…

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!"

I woke up just as my alarm clock ticked. I was panting really hard and sweating a lot. "Whoa, that was just a dream. Hah. It felt true." I got up and headed to the bathroom. I was washing my face when I suddenly heard my cell phone ring. I checked out the mail. It was just my mom with the same message every morning. It said, 'Good morning. Have you eaten already?' I sent her back a message saying: 'I was just going to before you did.' She replied, 'Oh, then go eat now.' Of course it was a lie. I had just waked up.

I prepared my breakfast. I ate and hurried to the bathroom to take a shower.

* * *

On my first subject, Jae is sitting in front of me. He is writing on whatever that was written on the board. He really is smart as usual. I love watching him work on something. I was just staring at him when my teacher caught my attention, "Mr. Jung, stop daydreaming and get on with the activity." All of my classmates were looking and laughing at me excluding Jae. Why is he not looking at me?

At lunch, I went with Siwon in the cafeteria. Jae was performing with his friends on the stage. I didn't know he's good at dancing and singing. I watched them perform while smiling vigorously. "They're really good at this." Siwon said nodding.

"Yeah." That was all I could say. The fact that they are so good, it leaves me speechless. All of the students and staff at the cafeteria were looking at them with amusement.

After the performance, Yoora approached Jae and gave him a lunch box. Jaejoong accepted it as he hugged Yoora tightly. Afterwards, they started eating, chatting and laughing while Siwon and I were talking about the upcoming basketball league competition. "Are you sure you're going to play on the league?"

"Yeah, do you doubt my skills?"

 "Of course not, it's just that you're still a new member of the team. I don't want you and the other new members to be stressed because the one that we will be competing is a very strong one."

"That will not be a problem. Our team will work hard on our training. With a team captain like you, I know we will surpass this game." I said, smiling at him.

"Hahaha... Thanks for the compliment. I really do hope that we can surpass this." Siwon is a very kind guy. He is very friendly, a very hardworking student and a responsible team captain that is why I really have faith in him

After lunch, we were on our way back to the gym when a girl suddenly approached me. She is not what you could say pretty, but she looks nice, a bit chubby though. "Oppa, you're a literature student right?" I nodded in answer to her question. "Uhmm... Can you give this to Jaejoong oppa? Please!" She pleaded and hastily handed me a lunch box without even letting me approve to do it.

I approached Jaejoong on a table located at the center of the cafeteria. He was with his friends of course. "Hey," I said. He looked at me, "Someone wants me to give this to you." I said, handing him the lunch box.

"Get that out of my sight." He said looking back at his friends.

"B-But it's a lunch!"

"You can eat it if you want or you could just throw it away. It'll be more convenient for you."

"It's a food! She made this for you." I said pointing to the girl who handed me the lunch box. "If you just throw it away all of her efforts will be wasted. Just take this and eat it. You will lose nothing if you take it and eat these." I handed the lunch box to him.

"I said throw them away!" Jae attempted to push me away, but instead he hit the lunch box. The food scattered on the floor. What? Did he just do that? The girl ran on us and picked up the food on the floor with tears rolling down her pale cheeks. We were all shocked on what happened. Jae stow away while one of his friends followed him. I helped the girl clean the food that was scattered on the floor. I attempted to comfort her, but her eyes were filled with huge tears, I could say nothing at all.

* * *

At the end of the class, I went quickly to the gym to practice with the team on basketball. I am now training with the team for the upcoming basketball league competition. I just shot a 3-pointer when the captain called for me. The captain signaled another player to substitute for my position. I approached the captain and I noticed the guy with him. He looks so familiar. Yeah, he's the guy who followed Jae when he stow away. I thought.

"This guy wants to talk to you. I'll just excuse you from the training today so you could go home early today. Just take your time."

"Thank you, captain." He left us and then I talked to the other guy. "Would you mind waiting? I'll just go and change my clothes. I'll be quick." He nodded.

After 15 minutes, I went out from the locker room and approached him. I led him at the back of the gym where the benches and faucets line and of course where I parked my motorbike. After taking our seat on one of the benches, he started talking. "I am sorry for what Jaejoong did at lunch. He was just not in the mood for anything like that today."

"It's okay. I was not the one who wasted all her efforts to cook something for the one she idolizes. He should really apologize to the girl."

"I went with Jae to apologize to her, but I still want to apologize to you. He is like that sometimes."

"No, I know he hates me so much so it doesn't really bother me."

"Yeah, I know it's none of my business anymore so I wouldn't ask anything about what happened between the two of you before." There was a long silence and then he spoke again. "Oh, I'm Park Yoochun by the way." He drew his hand near my chest.

"I'm Jung Yunho." I drew my hand back to shake hands with him. There was a brief silence again.

"Tell me about the person you like." He said suddenly. I wonder why he came up with that topic. It's not like we're close or anything. Well, it won't hurt to share about some stuff with a new friend, right? I looked at him. "I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours." He smiled.

"Why would you want to know about this?" I asked.

"Well, I want to be friends with you since my best friend seems to hate you so much."

"Kim Jaejoong?"

"Yup, I just thought that if I'll be friends with you, maybe he will learn to like you." I laughed at what he just said. "Okay, let's start with the love of my life. Three seconds, three words."

"What are you talking about?"

"When I saw this person, in just three seconds, the words that I said in front of this person was I love you. That time, I was really glad that I met that person, beautiful like an angel. I couldn't believe myself, but I knew from that moment that I'm in love. It was love at first sight." I couldn't help but smile about what he said. It sounded ridiculous and funny and yet so romantic. Yoochun looked at me and said: "So, tell me about the person you like."

"Well," I began. "It's the kind of love that you wouldn't believe. I'm not going to tell you why, but when I met this person... I learned that this person actually have feelings for me. I pushed that person away." While I was telling Yoochun about my story, Jae's image suddenly popped out of my head. "It took me a while to realize that I actually love this person, I never did stop loving this person for how many years. However, this person wouldn't even acknowledge me anymore."

"That must be really tormenting." He commented.

"But those three seconds and three words~" I was about to ask him more about the person he likes; if they're together or if they still communicate with each other. However, Jae appeared in front of us and cut in. "Yoochun-ah, let's go home."

"Okay, coming right there! I'm really sorry; Jae's looking for me now. Let's just continue next time. I hope you and that person would make up soon." He waved at me and I waved back. I watched them leave together, and then I looked up at the clear blue sky all alone. "Jae..."

I got on my motorbike and drive on the highway. When I saw a jewelry store, I hastily parked my bike in front of the shop. I walked in and looked at the display. I found a very interesting thing. It is a necklace with a big letter J as a pendant. The letter J has diamonds on it. It was really beautiful, and then I called the staff and asked for the necklace. "How much is this?" I asked, pointing at the attractive necklace.

Shortly, I drove away and decided to visit my mom. I went to our house or rather my old home. "I'm home!" I said loudly for mom to hear. Mom appeared in front of me with an angry expression. "Hey mom, I missed you!"

"Why aren't you answering your phone mister? Do you know how worried I am? What if you got into an accident?"

"Mom, I'm fine! If something happened to me, I'm sure the police or the doctors will contact you first." I joked. Mom glared at me as if she's going to kill me. "I'm just joking mom! Nothing will happen to me, I promise." I hugged mom after saying that. "What is that smell? Did you bake something?"

"Ah- yes! I baked your favorite ginger bread cookies. Come on, it's fresh from the oven." Mom led me to the kitchen and I sat on the chair near the cookies. "Mom, can I sleep here tonight? I missed this house so much and of course you."

"Of course honey." Mom really loves me so much and I love her the most. I was really happy that mom divorced my dad. She married a new man since then. But I never acknowledged him, which is why I bought a condominium to live all by myself.

"Where's noona? I haven't seen her for a while."

"She's still working I guess." What? She already has a job? "She was accepted in a company. A producing company actually." I can't believe that noona would actually get a job this early and moreover to a big company like that.

"Hey, I'm home!" Noona called, entering the house. She went to the kitchen and then she was shocked when she saw me. "Hey, little brother. What are you doing here?"

"I was just visiting mom. Is that a crime?" I said in a mocking voice. "I missed mom and you so I thought that I could visit, but it seems you don't want me here so I would just go home." I was acting as if I'm going home.

 "No, off course not. You could stay here whenever you want, right mom?" Mom nodded. "Oh, we're going to discuss a lot of things my dear brother!" she said excitedly. My parents don't have any other children other than noona and me. Since noona doesn't have a sister, I usually get to hear about her problems that are supposed to be heard by a sister and a secret from mom so I don't have a choice, but to listen to her even though I don't really want to. Sometimes though, I like listening to what she talks about because she gets excited whenever she talks about something much more if it is about the guys who are courting her.

At 7:00 in the evening, I went up to my room to take a rest. I opened the door and for some reason, I really felt that I was home. I lay my head down my bed and drew the box out of my pocket. I opened the box and held the pendant in the air. Then, someone knocked on the door. I quickly hid the necklace before saying, "Come in!"

"Hey little brother! We haven't talked lately so I thought that we should make all that missing chatting. We haven't chatted for a while because you suddenly bought a motorbike and a condo for yourself."

"Yeah. Sorry about that. I just want to be alone for some time. I just thought that maybe I should be independent. I want to experience living alone."

"Yeah right! Oh well, enough of that topic. Did you know that Jae have a girlfriend and he is more handsome than before don't you think? He's my dream boyfriend. He's smart, kind, loving and understanding. He's like a new person."

"Enough of it! You had been saying that ever since you met him!" My mood got messed up because of what noona said. But yeah, she's right. Jae has totally changed now. "When did you meet him, where and with whom?"

"Oh, he was with his girlfriend a few hours ago at a mall that my co-workers and I passed by before going home. They're doing all that lovey-dovey with each other. We talked for a while and then I went home. Why?"

"Nothing, I was just curious."

"You know, Jae's girlfriend is really lucky. Jae is a perfect man. I'm really jealous of her. I wish I could switch with her." She said, pouting.

"There's nothing to be jealous noona, I'm sure you will find a man that is better than Jae."

"Oh how sweet! That is why I really love you. You are more mature than anyone else. You are a very good listener. You are very patient on listening to my boring stories so thank you very much!" Noona hugged me and then went out of the room.

I was just lying on my bed, staring at the ceiling and doing nothing but imagine. I thought I looked crazy because I was smiling while imagining Jae's face laughing. When I realized I was actually smiling, I hastily buried my face in my pillow. This is embarrassing, I thought. I closed my eyes until I drifted into sleep.  

The following day, I arrived at school an hour earlier than usual. I was strolling around the garden thinking of what to do first when Jaejoong arrives. There were other students in the garden too, usually lovers. I sat on a bench near the roses. Their scent was very sweet. The birds were chirping their morning song. I watched the little birds thudding their feet against the pavement. This is a very great place to think, I thought. I stayed there for a while observing the things around me.

After an hour, I prepared myself for the first discussion this morning. I saw Jae walking alone near the gate. I suddenly had the urge to drag him somewhere. I followed my instinct, dragged him with me and led him to the school garden on the other side of the school until we reached the big peach tree.