Serial Dater

Black Black Heart

“I must be dreaming then,” Yuri said happily the moment I stepped into the café that I was working.

Really, this kid is almost like a bug that one wishes to veer away from, but it just keeps coming back. I bet she would make a good salesperson. In fact, I could almost imagine her as one; a smooth slick black-suited operator coupled with her pretty, slim face.

“What are you doing here?”

“What are You doing here.” She asked me back. I looked at her, “I work here.”

“Really. The great – girlfriend of yours allows you to work?” She looked, somewhat amused and thoughtful.

“That’s none of your business, besides, I asked what are you doing here first.”

Yuri sighed, “I could wax lyrical about how this is a public place, how your boss probably wouldn’t like it if you treated your customers this way, but mainly, I’m here because your dear, dear sister asked me out today.” She smiled and dropped it in a second, before continuing, ”Thank you for helping me even though you said you wouldn’t.”

“I didn’t help you.”

She smiled and glanced at her reflection in triumphant, “Then, it must be this winning face.”

Even without giving her another look, I was about to grab my work apron when my cell rang. It was Jessica.

“Hello sis. Are you the greatest sister? If you are, please, please accompany Yuri to wherever she wants to go okay? I was supposed to meet her, but I’m not feeling too well today.”

“Really? You sound fine.” I said dryly, and she coughed dramatically into the phone, “I’m not. I’m probably coming down with severe pneumonia.”

“Alright, fine, fine, I’ll accompany Yuri, but you didn’t have to curse yourself.” I said quickly.

Jessica laughed lightly, “The cough is real, at least. Tell Yuri I’m sorry.” She said and quickly hung up. I shook my head and Yuri looked at me with folded arms, “Am I being stood up?”

“Yes.” I said, and was about to grab my apron to resume work.

“That’s it?” She looked aghast at my reaction.

“Yep, that’s it.” I nodded and was about to take the other customer’s orders when she pulled the notepad away from me.

Grabbing my hand, she tugged me out of the work place, and I looked at her, “You didn’t have to do that.”

“Really? So you would have walked out of the door with me, properly. You would?” She folded her arms to look at me in a questioning posture.

I paused and answered simply enough, “No.” My face was cool and placid.

She nodded her head, “Precisely, so step in,” she opened an impressive sports car door and I looked at her.

“Or, do I have to tell Jessica that her efforts to get us on a date have just been wasted?”