Wish

Black Black Heart

19


Special Someone huh. She had turned her back away after I had signed the CD, and she had walked away as abruptly as she had appeared.

That was it. Our first encounter after 2 years. It was so short that it almost made it seem like a dream altogether. I was beginning to doubt if the girl I had met was actually indeed Her – Taeyeon.

The Taeyeon that I knew like the back of my hands. Had she lost her memory? Was that why she didn't recognise me at all, not one bit?

Did I mean so little then? What was I thinking. Wasn't I the one who had resolutely pushed her off that cliff? Isn't this my retribution then? My lips arched up ironically.

I stared at the two words in the CD cover and placed it over my head as I fell back onto my bed with a tired sigh. I have changed. 2 years ago, I was placid – calm, unaffected and cool.

2 years ago, I was Her ‘special someone’, I was the only one who mattered.

2 years ago, everything had changed.

From 2 years ago – things had changed.

So, why was I still holding on to the past like a kid who refuses to let go?

Time to let go?

I fell asleep restlessly, sleeping without ease as I had so often for so many nights, too many nights, for too long.

-


Yuri was wrapping up the last bit of cake from yesterday when I stepped in. She glanced up at me swiftly and I gave her a slight nod before walking towards the fridge.

She shook her head slightly and gave a slight sad smile, “Still not talking to me?”

I took out a carton of orange juice and poured it. Yuri stopped wrapping the cake and she stood beside me, as she wiped off the bit of orange juice that had slipped from the side of my lips. I flinched and took a step back.

“You should be more concerned for your cake.”

“Finally.” She uttered at my words, before holding up the cake and said, “I am.” She beckoned at the portion, “I’ve eaten almost 80 percent of the ridiculous size that Jessica had made for me. I’m sure you must have enjoyed that punishment.” She gave a thoughtful smile.

I smirked, “Glad that we’re on the same page.” I said coolly before attempting to walk around her to head out.

Yuri grabbed my wrist at the last moment, “Tiffany. I’m sorry.”

My eyes narrowed, and Yuri continued, “I knew that I was wrong the moment you stopped becoming Tiffany. I knew I was wrong when you collapsed into a crazy state of misery. I knew that I was wrong when you no longer started talking in those 2 months after she’s left. I knew that I was wrong, Tiffany. But I can’t change the things that I did.”

I folded my arms and pulled my wrist away from her reach, “So your point is?”

Ignoring my animosity, Yuri reached forward to gracefully tuck the hair behind my ears and she said slowly, “I can’t right the wrong that I did, but I can try to make more rights than wrong. So….stay clear of your manager, Tiffany.” Yuri said, as she leaned towards my ears, “She’s trouble.”

-


Sooyoung, my manager, was smiling at me happily when I got into the studio.

“Ah, there’s my money maker!” She said, getting to her feet. She was pacing about on the balls of her feet and she could barely keep still. “The song’s been officially released and I know that it’ll be a great hit. It’s getting very positive reviews over airplay.”

I shrugged and smiled with unaffected ease. She paused and turned to look at me, “Aren’t you excited? Wasn’t this why we’ve met? Didn’t fate bring us together at the hospital for such a moment like this?”

I smiled a little at her exaggerated words, “How could I forget? You practically chased after me across the block and had the entire staff supporting your plans.”

“Perseverance pays off, doesn’t it?” Sooyoung winked, “I was amazed by your voice, Tiffany. You were singing softly along to the tune in the lift….And I just knew…that you had to sing this song that my composer had composed. Only you would be able to bring out the emotions from that song.”

“I was a mess then,” I said dryly and Sooyoung nodded, not disagreeing, “That’s why.”

“Thanks.” I said with a trace of sarcasm and Sooyoung smiled with much amusement at my tone, “You’re welcome, but it is the truth.”

The truth huh? 
Stay clear of your manager…. She’s trouble

Does the truth matter now? Who could I possibly believe now? My thoughts were flowing against each other, colliding into a chasm of endless thoughts and varied restlessness that were at wars with each other.

I was still thinking about what truth meant, and trust issues when Sooyoung suddenly shot up.

“Shoot. I forgot to tell you something. Our director is finally showing up to oversee the upcoming grand auditions for those upcoming new artistes.”

I glanced at Sooyoung before racking my brains to rattle up the info that she had fed me previously, “You mean the secretive, lazy director who’s been absent all this while? Who hardly shows her face because she’s not the brightest spark of the lot?”

“I didn’t say that our director’s lazy! Or….’not the brightest spark of the lot’,” Sooyoung quickly defended bashfully, “I just said…. Incompetent, pretty slack for a boss, and overly spoiled. That’s all.”

I nodded my head, amused, “That’s all?”

Sooyoung laughed lightly and tugged my wrists, “Come on, you’re involved in the auditions as well. I’ve already signed your name up, and if things go through. You’ll be the company’s face.”

“The company’s face?” I raised my brow slightly at the meaning behind those words. The company that Sooyoung and I were under was one of the biggest entertainment company that was a branch from a big conglomerate corporation called T that was involved in various industries internationally. So, if I became the face of the company, it would mean that I would be representing one of the most internationally financially acclaimed companies of the world.

“Hmm.” I murmured under my breath at that realization.

Sooyoung was already making plans, “And what a pretty face. I’m sure the director would choose you! Imagine how famous you would be – and wouldn’t the person that you’ve been looking for finally be able to see you?”

I wished.