Friend or Foe?

Black Black Heart

I was packing up when I saw a sms. It was from my parent’s cell asking me to hurry home. ‘She’s here!’.

“You’re late.” She said the moment I stepped into her black sports car.

“No, I wasn’t.”

“Yes, you were, 30 minutes.” She said looking at her watch.

I chuckled, “You’re impossible, it takes 30 minute to walk home.”

She shook her head, “Why did you refuse to be chauffeured?” She pointed to the black Mercs that was waiting outside. The regular driver that was assigned to me bowed apologetically.

I pointed to the sky, “I found the night sky to be perfect tonight, and also, because I really felt like taking a walk.”

I smiled widely, afraid that she could read beyond my emotions –

She paused, leaning her head against the window, “You know, I can never get sick of you, I think.”

I looked at her looking at me. She turned away, I couldn’t see her expressions, “Will you get sick of me?” She asked lightly.

I smiled lightly, so that’s what’s bothering her, my change of heart. I held her hands, “So long as you don’t hurt me.”

She smiled, “I don’t think that’s even possible….” She said slowly, then paused, “I have a business meeting with the other sectors in Paris and Italy and I’m leaving to catch a flight after this.”

“The Italian mob…” I thought out loud, thinking of the Godfathers. She tilted her head, “Right, film references. No, no, they’re not like that anymore. Times have changed, they’re in the legal business now.”

“Like what you’re trying to do with your dad’s organisation?”

Though I don’t really know what she was involved in, I do know that she’s been trying to change the entire structure of her dad’s mafia organisation into a legal business.

“Are you showing concern for me?” She turned to look at me with incredibility.

“You make me out to be so cold, I’m not that cold hearted you know.”

She laughed, “Now that’s a joke. No one really knows what you’re thinking, Tiffany, not even me.”

I remained silent, “I’ll never hurt you at least.”

She shrugged, “But no seriously, the only way you could really break me is to fall for another. Because that would mean that I’ve lost. That I’ve never really gotten your heart at all, in the very first place.”

I looked at her as she took off her ring to place it in my hands, “If there’s any trouble, you know what to do.” She said before kissing the top of my forehead again, “Good night, T.”

Just like that, she left for Paris, saying ‘I love you’ in her usual way.

~

“So, class, we have a new student today.” The teacher announced and I glanced up.

And then turned to the side, it wasn’t any of my business really, but little did I know that the new student would choose to sit beside me as my lab partner.

The good looking girl smiled, “Hi, I’m Yuri.”

I looked at her, “You really wouldn’t want to do that.”

She raised her brow, “Why?”

“I’m trouble.”

Yuri laughed but she saw how serious I was and she caught herself, “I’m sorry, I thought you were kidding.”

Sensing that I was silent again, she placed one hand to cradle the side of her face, “Why are you trouble then?”

I turned to look at her, “You really don’t know?”

“No. I don’t, so do enlighten me.”

I sighed, “Nevermind then, wait, do you have insurance or anything?”

“Talking to you requires insurance?” Yuri asked, amazed, “What happens if I’m your new lab partner? Wouldn’t that warrant a death sentence”

“You can probably book your coffin,” I nodded my head, agreeing.

“Geez, I was kidding,” Yuri smacked my wrist and I looked at her, “Don’t you sense that people are looking at you strangely?”

“I’m used to it. Part and parcel of having good looks,” Yuri said.

I shook my head, “They’re looking at you because you’re already so dead and you’re still cracking jokes,” I folded my lab notes.

“But I am pretty good looking.” Yuri protested, “In another case, please, do, enlighten why am I going to die if I so much as sit beside you and talk to you?”

Even without turning to look at her, I answered, “That’s because…I’m dating someone who has zero tolerance for anyone other than me.”

“Ah, I see.” Yuri nodded her head, “In that case, count me in as a rebel. I really wish for you and I to be friends.”

I smiled at her, I almost liked her guts. No one had ever really stepped up against this unspoken rule placed by ‘her’.

Yet, there was something about this girl….that told me she was dangerous. If not, suicidal to associate with.