The Wake

8 Boys, 1 Heart

I slumped down my couch. I was clutching on my collar, trying to keep in my vomit. I felt nauseous, and giddy. I wonder if my headache knew about my dad's death. Even my body knew about it than me myself. I was staring in blank space, recollecting the moments I had with him.

 

Not all of them were bad though. When I was young, he would take care of me like a precious jewel. He won't let me out of his side. Even my mum was jealous about the time we spent together. When I grew a little older, it didn't change. I was even excited to have been a part of our family's company. I studied hard to reach his expectations even though he didn't stress me about it. He would always say,

Dad: Just do your best. I don't care what you do. Just make sure you don't taint the family's name, okay my little princess?

I tear just fell. I tried to stop but once it starts, stopping is not an option. Then I realise I didn't tell the officer my address. How are they gonna fetch my now?

A set of knocks were heard at the door. I opened the door to see a uniformed officer.

Me: [Cracked voice] How did you..?

Officer: Tracking device.

That figures. He reached out his hands and urged me to take is. I didn't hesitate and grab it. When I felt the warmth of it, I continued me crying rampage. I didn't really wail though but sniffs could be heard frequently from me.

We reached. Tons of flowers were sent to the wake all the way to the entrance.

Me: Who's one are all those?

Officer: It's you dad's. From the company.

Hah, I should have known. Mental note: Thank all of them later.

Officer: Mine is that tiny one over there. I hope you don't mind.

I looked at his bouquet in a satisfied manner. I patted his back and nodded in appreciation. Then, he slightly pushed my back and showed me to a room. My stomach starts with it's ranting again. I was about to vomit when I saw my dad's coffin. Everything just stops. Time froze. [A/N: Okay, too sad already. Shall I make a joke right here? Maybe TAO did this! HAHAHAHHA! See? Tao? Time Freeze? no..? Okay.. T-T~]

I approached it slowly but instead of feeling sad, I was feeling happy. It's the first time in years that I see his face calm. Usually because of the work at the company, he would come home worried. He had a smile similar to the one when I just got my degree.
 

A lot of people came to me and gave me condolences. It seems as though it never really stopped. A mass of workers were there, crying their eyes out. Instead of me crying, I was calming half of the people there. Then, at the corner of my eyes, I saw Siwon.
 

He changed, he really did. But I can't capture it. As in I didn't know which part of him changed. So when the workers went to the waiting area to wait for my speech about my dad, I approached Siwon. He was just looking at my dad with his hands together, as if to give him respect.

 

Me: Thank you for coming.

Siwon: Hmm.. Are you okay?

Me: Yeah, why wouldn't I be?

Siwon: Good to hear.

I then heard some people whispering over my reply. I knew I had to clear up. They thought that I didn't care about my dad's death. I just confidently walked infront of the hall and started my speech.

Me: Daddy, I hope you may be with us before you leave and stay with Mummy forever.

I whispered but loud enough to be heard via the mic.

Me: Dear fellow workers, I would like to thank you for coming. I know that this is devastating but I don't get why half of you are sad about?

All I could hear was gasps. Some nodded.

Me: Don't get me wrong. I would just like a show of hands, who saw my dad smiling in his coffin? And please be honest.

Half of the crowd got up and went to my dad's wake room again. They came back smiling but also with a smile of their face.

Me: I was sad, I admit. Actually, I was far worst than that but after looking at his smile even in his coffin, I knew he went to a wonderful place. Not only that, he's now with Mum. Now, that's true love. Daddy, I'm sorry that I was not good enough a daughter you want me to be but I just want you to know how much you mean to me and that nothing could change the fact that you are not dad. The best Dad in the world.

I received a few applause followed by a massive one. I thankfully bowed at them and shut my eyes. I smile and faced down.

Me: Daddy, if you can hear me, your job here is done. Thank you for being the most awesome daddy. I love you and please take care of mummy. Stay well.

~~