Friend

I Thought He Was the Same As the Others

The next day was weekend. I wanted to go to the grocery to buy food for tonight’s dinner. I decided to ride the train. I sat on an empty spot. I looked out the window and looked at the buildings. Then suddenly, the train shook a little. I gasped. A guy standing nearly fell on top of me. “Ah!” I closed my eyes for a second. When I opened them…

“Kuronuma?” I saw Kazehaya standing right before my very eyes. “K-Kazehaya-san! … H-hi…” He got up and and sat next to me. I blushed a little. “You like riding the train too?” He asked with a happy tone. “Um…yes. I kinda missed it. I haven’t ridden it for a while I guess…” I slowly smiled. …! …I smiled…?! My classmates always get scared of me when I smile…

“You have a nice smile Kuronuma.” …huh…? “W-what? Isn’t my smile…scary?” Kazehaya looked surprise. “I don’t think so.” I feel…relieved. “…Arigato…”

“So where are you heading to?” He asked me. “I’m going to buy some groceries…” Kazehaya giggled. “Haha, really? Me too…I wanted to buy something in the grocery.” “Oh…” I smiled.

“Hey, want some company?” He said. “Eh?” “I could stick around with you…if you want.” He offered. “O-Ok…” I nodded.

The train stopped. We both stood up. As the both of us went out the door of the train, many people came rushing. A man wearing a suit and holding a brief case even bumped me. “A-AH!” Kazehaya held my hand. “You ok? Come on, I’ll lead the way, you might get lost.” “…Thanks…”

We both went to a large grocery. After we bought the things we needed, we both heard a grumbling sound. Kazehaya laughed. “Are you hungry?” I just nodded, feeling embarrassed. “S-Sorry…” I mumbled. “No it’s ok…hmm…speaking of hungry, I think my tummy is empty too…” We both looked at each other. Kazehaya smiled. “Let’s eat! My treat!”

Treat? …Wow…that’s the first time anyone has treated me…

That’s what friends do right? So…I finally…have a friend…? I didn’t notice that I was so quiet.

“H-Hey…are you…” Kazehaya looked at me, straight in the face. “K-Kuronuma…?! D-Don’t cry! D-Did I say something wrong?”

I didn’t even notice that tears were strolling down my face. “N-No…I’m just… …happy.”

Kazehaya smiled. “Then…LET’S EAT! ^^” I just giggled and tagged along. We went to a ramen shop. We went inside a ramen house, and a few waiters said Irashaimase

We ordered. After a few moments, there were two large bowls of ramen in front of us, waiting to be eaten.

“Itadakaimasu!” Kazehaya said happily. “I-Itadakimasu…” I just smiled and we both split our chopsticks. “O-Oishi…!” I said in surprise. “Yeah it’s delicious right?” Kazehaya said, eating some more. “I never thought eating with someone like this was fun…” I mumbled. Kazehaya stopped and looked at me.

“You haven’t…eaten with anyone yet before?” I stopped. “Aside from my parents, yes. …I don’t have any friends yet anyway…”

“I’m your friend right?” Kazehaya said. “I’ll always be a friend to you.” “Arigato Kazehaya-san…” I said. He pouted. “You know, it’s ok to call me casually, we’re friends anyway.” “K…K….K-K-Kazehaya-kun…?” “That’s fine with me. Not too much Ks ok?” He laughed.

That brightened my day.