Umbrella

I Thought He Was the Same As the Others

I immediately turned around, letting out a loud gasp. “Ah…!”

Kazehaya…kun…

“S-Sorry…did I startle you Kuronuma? Gomen…” “I-It’s ok…”

The both of us looked at the falling rain. “Do you have an umbrella Kuronuma?” Kazehaya asked, sounding concerned. “I…forgot to bring one…” I said quietly, but I’m sure he heard my answer. “Oh…”

The two of us was silent for a minute.

“U-Um…then…” He scratched the back of his head. “Would you like me to take you home?” I looked at him. His cheeks are reddening…

“O-Ok… arigato…” I accepted his offer. “Well then, let’s go.” He opened his bright red umbrella and it was big enough for the both of us to be under it. We started to walk and we passed the gates. The both of us were a bit quiet for a while.

“The rain sure is heavy…” He said, looking a bit worried. “Y-Yeah it is…” I don’t know what to say to keep the conversation alive.

“We’re half way there.” I said. “Oh…yeah…” He mumbled. After a few more turns, we reached our house. I faced him, “Thank you very much…Kazehaya-kun.” I bowed. “No problem.” he smiled. “Would you like to come inside for a bit?” I asked. “N-No it’s ok. Thanks. Well…” He sighed. “I’ll see you tomorrow then, bye.” He waved and turned to leave.

“W-Wait…!” I called after him. “Kuronuma?” He turned around. I asked him one more thing.

“You’re not angry or upset with me, right?”

Kazehaya looked confused. “Why would I be?” “I just suddenly ran off last weekend without properly thanking you…” Kazehaya smiled. “No, that was ok…” “So you’re not angry…” “No I’m not…”

Then at that moment, I felt like someone was watching us. Maybe it’s just my imagination.

Kazehaya turned to leave. “See you in school.” “Thank you again for accompanying all the way. See you Kazehaya-kun…!” I waved. Then, he called back.

“Also… I would never get mad at you…!” He smiled and left.

At that exact moment, I felt my heart skip a beat, and that’s when I knew that my world is going to change.