The Forty-Ninth Scar

✖ T H E B E A U T I F U L S C A R ✖

 

 

✖ 

 

“How can I erase you when your name

Is written in permanent ink 

Across my heart?

 

✖ 

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________
 
THE FORTY-NINTH SCAR
 
___________________________________________________________________________________

 

“President Kim, what is this press conference being held for?”

“Is the reason for absence in the first seat because someone else is expected?”

“Can you explain why you chose your adopted son as heir to your medical enterprise?”

 

The president looked on calmly, while Jaejoong’s face was frozen. As I watched him, I instantly knew that he didn’t want any of this to happen. Jaejoong only had that hard look in his eyes when he had something to hide, something that was currently at risk of being discovered. However, I knew that I too was guilty for wanting to know the answers to the reporter’s questions. I’d asked them to myself, and hadn’t come up with any answers. My curiosity was slowly burning, fuelled by the crowd’s interest, and I was half torn at wanting knowledge-or staying true to Jaejoong.

 

“I’m very glad that so many have gathered here today to hear my news,” started the President, with a light chuckle. “But because our time is running short, I’ll be sure not to waste any of your time.”

 

“As you all know, Jaejoong is my adopted son, and I have prepared him for years in training to become the next head of the Kim Medical enterprise. He has done well, and proves a promising and courageous leader to the advances of medicine and health in Korea. Passing his medical courses with flying colours, in addition to volunteering at the local hospitals and donating blood, it is obvious that in time he will follow my footsteps, and become a greater doctor than I am.

 

Thus, even though we share no blood ties, I have raised him as my own son, and have addressed him as the next in line to my conglomerate.”

 

No reporters were writing furiously, or looking surprised. They’d already known all of this. I, however, had put a hand on my mouth tightly and could feel anger welling in my chest. No blood ties? Lies. How could his father get away with this?

 

Clenching my teeth, I inwardly told myself to listen and pushed the rage back. 

 

“However, I do not want to fool the public. I don’t want to give them the impression that I am only giving the company to my son because of our relationship. We all know that he has not completed his medical degree yet and merely took a couple years of medical school - however, his strength and passion for this field is what made me announce my desicion to appoint him as my successor. I truly believe that as his furthers his education with my company, all of Korea will know that I chose Kim Jaejoong to take over the enterprise because he is extremely skillful and trustworthy in the medical buisness-and not just because he is my son. I want everyone to be able to trust him like they have trusted me.”

 

A small buzz was forming among the crowd now. Where was this conversation going? 

 

“Which is why I would like to be honest now, and reveal to you all that I have another son, my true son, who has been hiding from publicity all his life.” 

 

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬

___________________________________________________________________________________