The Thirty-Seventh Scar

✖ T H E B E A U T I F U L S C A R ✖

✖ 

 

“Always someone else,

The next guy who will make your cold heart melt.

 

✖ 

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________
 
THE THIRTY-SEVENTH SCAR
 
___________________________________________________________________________________
 

 

Before, I’d wanted to leave the ramen shop right away, wanting nothing but to pull the covers over my head and fall into a deep sleep. I felt tired and lonelier than ever, and even more lost than I was before. I was unemployed, had a terrible love life, an even worse self-esteem level, and the money that I’d collected from my past job was slowly starting to dwindle. Though Yunho wasn’t paid much, it was enough, and he didn’t have to supply money for rent and other expenses. I did, though, and the stress of it was starting to build on me. I couldn’t just think of this as a Korean drama, and pray that I’d get married to some CEO of a big conglomerate-I’d have to work up the ranks using my own hard work.

 

But it turned out that after the incident in the shop, I’d end up pushing my plans of slumber into the back of my head. Right after the argument, and the quick depart of the businessman, Yunho had decided to start a conversation with the waitress.  She’d brought along three cups of tea, and had told her manager that she was on break, while we waited for her at our table.

 

“Thanks for today, seongsaenim.”

“Just call me Yunho.”

 

She nodded gently, and then she sat down. “I’m Song Ha Jae.”

 

“You don’t look like you’re from around here. I’m guessing…America?”


Yunho started off the conversation, and I noticed that my brother seemed to be interested in this girl. I gave a small smile as my mood lifted-Yunho couldn’t protect me forever. He’d already lost years of his life by filling them with the past scars of my parent’s accident. It was unfair that he’d had to hold up the whole burden, while I was left to watch the life in him slowly disappate, because of the gulit and anger he'd felt. However, I now saw that sparkle in his eye-that charm in him-that had been missing for years.

 

“Yes.”


”Are you on vacation?”

“No, I’m…visiting my grandparents.”

 

She seemed hesitant as she said it. I was sure that Yunho could extract information from her, but only if I left. It was a girl thing-I was sure that she was just as attracted to Yunho as he was to her. Smiling at her, and giving her a thumbs-up behind Yunho’s back, I patted his shoulder.

 

“I’m going to be heading home for a bit, I’m feeling tired. Why don’t you stay here and talk to Ha Jae?”

“You sure?”

 

Though Yunho said those words, I knew that they really meant, “thank you for letting me stay."

 

“Definitely. Go back to SM soon, alright? Don’t be late for dance practise again.”

 

“Okay, mom.” Yunho rolled his eyes teasingly. I laughed, knowing that Yunho used to always avert from teasing me. He was worried that he’d hurt me, but lately, I was starting to feel like he was beginning to change. I also had this gut feeling that this girl was going to change some things around here, especially with Yunho, and I didn’t have any regrets as I left.  Waving at Ha Jae, and sticking my tongue out at Yunho, I walked out of the restaurant and back home.

 

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬

 

Swinging my bag on my shoulder, I brushed the hair out of my face. It was starting to feel heavy, and I couldn’t wait to just get home and relax. Walking into the lobby of my apartment, I got into the elevator and pressed the button for the fifth floor. As the burnished doors opened to unveil the hallway, I stepped and took the keys out of my pocket. Getting ready to open my door, I nearly jumped when I saw the figure waiting for me.

 

It was Jaejoong.

 

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬

___________________________________________________________________________________