The Twenty-First Scar

✖ T H E B E A U T I F U L S C A R ✖

 

✖ 

 

“For you, it's seperation,
But to me, it's waiting." 

 

✖ 

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________
 
THE TWENTY-FIRST SCAR
 
___________________________________________________________________________________

 

The nurse set a pot of orchids down, their purple and pink colours matching the beige curtains. Pulling the blinds up, so that natural light filtered through the room, she took a towel and started wiping down the tables and chairs. She cleared the room, sweeping at the floor and changed the sheets and linens of the bed. Almost getting ready to lock up, she turned around once she noticed that a handsome boy was still sitting at the desk, scribbling furiously. His hands were stained with black ink, and his brows were furrowed in immense concentration.

 

“What are you writing, Jonghyun?” 

The nurse stared at him, but Jonghyun just gave her a soft smile, answering without hesitation.

 

“My will.”

 

The nurse’s laughter echoed through the room.

 

“Oh, Jonghyun, why would you be writing such a thing? You still have such a long life ahead of you. Sweetheart, to be honest, it’s I who has to write a will, not you.”

 

“Yeah, well I’m suffering from a broken heart.” He chuckled, but it was bitter. Though the nurse’s humble and caring character wasn’t unnoticed by Jonghyun, he really didn’t feel like going into a pity conversation with her-instead, he felt like telling the truth. He was tired of pretending, tired of having to be himself, and tired of always fighting even though there was nothing left to fight for. It was like he’d given up on himself.

 

The nurse sat down beside him and took his hand. “Girl problems?’

 

“The doctor can tell me that I’m dying, and that doesn’t hurt. My mother can send me to become a model, because we’re short on money, and that doesn’t hurt. But watching my best friend fall in love with someone else-ajumma, why does that hurt so much? Why is it so painful here?”

 

He touched at his chest.

 

“Do you really love her?” The nurse was serious, and though she was older, wisdom hadn’t forgotten to touch her. Jonghyun answered promptly.

 

“Yes. I love her more than anything.”

 

“Describe her to me.”

 

He was surprised by her request. “She’s my best friend, my soul mate, and the first one that didn’t discriminate me because of my wealth. When we met in elementary school, she just came up to me one day, with a juice box, and asked me if I wanted it. And that was how we became friends. She’s always self-conscious, and clumsy, but that’s why I love her. I love how her eyes sparkle when she’s talking to others, the way she smiles at me, and the fact that all her attention was always on me. I love how she can’t even see how enchanting she is, and that though she really cares about her appearance, I think she’s perfect.


But she never loved me.”

 

The nurse looked deep in thought. “You don’t love her, Jonghyun, you’re in love with her, right?”

 

“I gave her everything. To me, she’s the only love I’ve ever known.” At his reply, the nurse was now laughing softly, and Jonghyun eyes widened. “Why are you laughing?”

 

“Because you already know what you’re going to do.”

 

“What?”

 

“You already know that you’re going to give her up, aren't you?” 

 

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬

___________________________________________________________________________________