CONTEMPLATION

THE PROMISE

 

“I’m leaving for Korea tomorrow.” Chaerin told her dad, mom and Luhan during dinner.

“What?” Chaerin’s mom dropped her chopsticks.  

“Yeah, I’m going with Kibum, so you do not have to worry.” Chaerin replied.

“Ohh, okay then. He seems like a pretty reliable man. Have fun!” Chaerin’s mom continued eating. Chaerin can always use Kibum’s name as an excuse for… anything. Her mom liked him as he was very well-mannered and has a bright future. Chaerin’s mom still wished that Chaerin would leave Chanyeol and go out with Kibum, but she kept it a secret or her daughter will go on a rampage if she hears it. Chaerin’s dad just nodded. He has always been a man of few words. He was more liberal compared to his wife and respected all of Chaerin’s decisions.

Luhan stopped eating and asked “What are you going to do there? Are you just out for a vacation?”

“Nah, I will be training some trainees in Kibum’s company. It’ll be a once in a lifetime experience!” Chaerin shared in an upbeat tone. She could not hide her enthusiasm.

“Ahh, I see… So will you see Chanyeol there?” Luhan smirked.

Chaerin thought for a second and as she was about to answer her brother with a “yes” she remembered Chanyeol’s answer on Happy Together 3: “Actually I am not... I am not really into those things at the moment. I just want to fully focus myself on my career.”

Chaerin stood up from the table and said “I am done eating. I’m not hungry anymore. I’ll start packing up. ” She left the table abruptly and went in her room. She has not called or texted Chanyeol since then. Chaerin tried shrugging off the feeling but she could not. She knew she was being overly selfish, but his answer really disappointed her. Chanyeol made it seem like he was not “proud” with their relationship.  In addition to this, Chaerin kept on hearing stories, from Eun Mi of course, that Chanyeol was close with Tiffany, a member of the extremely popular hallyu girl group Girls’ Generation. They hosted a music show together and both of their groups collaborated several times for concerts. This caused Chaerin’s trust to deteriorate.

“She really has a temper… gosh” Luhan remarked. Secretly, Chaerin’s mom smiled to herself. She was happy her daughter’s relationship with Chanyeol was not working out. “I’ll just wait until the day they’ll break up.” She said to herself. Luhan overheard his mother and commented “Mom, you haven’t given up haven’t you?”  Chaerin’s mom responded to Luhan’s statement with a sly smile and resumed her dinner.

 

In her room, Chaerin grabbed her phone and texted to Eun Mi, “GUESS WHAT? I’m flying home tomorrow! I’ll see you soon! Xoxo!”. After doing so, she took out her luggage and started packing up. She opened her closet and threw pieces she wanted to take with her into her luggage. The luggage was quickly filled as Chaerin wanted to bring with her a lot of things. She closed the bag once she was done packing and placed it by her door. As she was doing so, her phone vibrated and she saw Eun Mi’s face on the screen. She read the text she sent and smiled. Eun Mi wrote: “OMG!!! CAN’T WAIT!!!! Tell me your flight number and I’ll pick you up!” Chaerin replied to her best friend and they exchanged several text messages until she realized another text from someone else. It was from Chanyeol. “So you’re coming tomorrow and you’re not telling your boyfriend?” Chaerin read the text. She put her face in her palm. “Gosh, news travels fast.” She thought. Chaerin ignored Chanyeol’s text and only replied to the ones from Eun Mi. Another text message from Chanyeol came in and it was written “Why are you ignoring me?”. Chaerin, again, ignored Chanyeol’s text. Although Chaerin ignored him, Chanyeol kept on texting Chaerin saying “Just tell me what I did wrong.”and “Come on Chaerin-ah… at least tell me why you’re doing this to me.” and “Can I call you now?”. As Chaerin was reading the last text message, her phone rang and Chanyeol’s face and name was plastered on the screen. After it rang several times, Chaerin finally gave in and picked up the phone call.

“Yes?” Chaerin said flatly.

“Chaerin! Finally! What is wrong jagi?” Chanyeol sounded concerned.

“I heard, you don’t have a girlfriend eh?” Chaerin was being sarcastic.

“What do you mean? Aren’t you my girlfriend?”

“You sure?”
“What?”

“Umm, apparently I heard on TV that someone is currently single.” Chaerin finally blurted out what was causing her heartache.

“Oh… That…It was scripted jagi…”

“Can’t you say no?”

“Well I can, but it will jeopardize my career and my group too and also…”

“Oh I understand. Your career is very important. Sorry I forgot about that.” Chaerin snapped. She hung up and turned off her phone. She looked at the alarm clock beside her bed and it was already 2 AM. She could not fall asleep as the phone conversation with Chanyeol kept playing on replay in her head.  Chaerin felt bad about it and turned her phone back on. Immediately a new text message went and of course it was from her boyfriend. “I’m sorry. I miss you and I can’t wait to see you again. Ps. I love you. ” The text message brought tears to Chaerin’s eyes as she realized that her big ego was holding Chanyeol back. She finally replied to Chanyeol simply “Forgiven. I love you too” and dropped herself to her bed.