ROCKY PAVEMENT

THE PROMISE

 

Luhan was left with Chanyeol in the living room. Chanyeol was still staring desperately at the closed door. He hoped that Chaerin will miraculously pop out from that door, but that was impossible, at least for the moment. Luhan looked at frustrated Chanyeol and gave him his iconic angelic smile. "It's okay, you can relax now. Mom's not around anymore." He said. Chanyeol slouched on the couch and let out a big sigh.
“I’m sorry. My mom’s always like this. I can say, she’s very pushy at times. At least now you know where Chaerin got her strong willed attitude from.” Luhan joked. Chanyeol laughed but just stayed still. He was apprehensive. He realized that he was part of the problem.
“Let me introduce myself, I’m Luhan, Chaerin’s older brother.” Luhan let out his hand.

“Hi, I’m Chanyeol… Chaerin’s boyfriend…” Chanyeol replied weakly and shook Luhan’s hand.

"I can tell you really love my sister. No words can express how grateful I am that my sister found someone like you..." Luhan told Chanyeol, interrupting Chanyeol’s thoughts after they both stayed in silence for a while. Chanyeol looked at Luhan "Ahh, I did not find Chaerin, she found me and I should be the one eternally thankful."
"Hey, should we go out for dinner? It’s the least I can do to thank you for taking care of my sister for the past two years!” Luhan said as he grabbed his MCM backpack from the floor.
Chanyeol was taken aback with Luhan’s invitation. He stood up and just followed behind Luhan out the door.
“Hey Chanyeol…” Luhan said as he put his shoes back on.
“Yeah?”
“You’re driving.”
“Okay…”
“You might want to take your car keys with you…” Luhan pointed to the car keys left on the table.
“Ahhh…” Chanyeol replied nervously and hurriedly grabbed his car keys.

After both of them left, Kyungsoo, Jongin, Baekhyun and Joonmyun went out from the kitchen.

“Man, Chaerin’s mom is one scary woman.” Jongin exclaimed.
“Yeah, I don’t understand how Chaerin can stand her.” Kyungsoo shivered just thinking about it.

"She's giving me chills..." Joonmyun added. Baekhyun nodded in agreement as a concerned look was plastered on his face. 
Eun Mi and Sehun came into the living room to join the group. “Are they gone?” Sehun asked. 
“Ahh I was late! I wanted to see Chaerin’s brother more closely. He looks pretty hot. Let's hope Chaerin will take him here again!” Eun Mi chuckled.
“Hey jagi! What did you say! I should be the only guy who looks hot in your eyes!” Sehun whined to his girlfriend giving her a friendly nudge.
“Of course jagi!” Eun Mi giggled at her boyfriend’s jealousy and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

 

Chanyeol drove to the closest authentic Korean restaurant in the neighborhood. They both took the seat by the windows with a clear view to the ethnic street lights.
“So, tell me more about yourself.” Luhan said as he ate his jajangmyeon.
“Umm, I’m two years older than your sister. Currently a sophomore with a music major. I really want to debut with my band, but I think that dream is pretty elusive.” Chanyeol replied.

“Oh, I was also a music major... I really do hope you don't give up on your dreams. I had to give up on my dreams to run the family's business." Luhan reflected.
Chanyeol just nodded in sympathy.
"So, let's get to business. How do you get to know my sister?" Luhan asked in an interrogating style. 
"We met when I was a senior in high school. We became friends until my graduation... That's when I asked her out." Chanyeol answered.
"Okay... So what do you like about my sister?"
"That's a tough question because I can go on forever." Chanyeol joked
"She's very hard working and determined in everything she does. She's very passionate in music, and that's why we really match I think. But what I love most about her is how she always looks tough and cold in front of people, but deep inside she's full of aegyo. Makes me want to take care of her for the rest of my life..." Chanyeol continued. 

“Ohh I see. Anyways, this might make me seem like a complete stalker, I heard you guys fought not too long ago. Why?” Luhan asked Chanyeol with an intimidating tone.

“No worries. I know Chaerin confided in you a lot. Regarding the fight…. it was just a misunderstanding. We rarely fight but back then I was stupid. That was sort of the turning point for me. I realized I have been taking her for granted and promised myself not to hurt her anymore.” Chanyeol just stared at the floor, remembering the bitter past. 

"Now I can tell you really really do love my sister. I would be lying if I said I did not have my doubts when I first saw you. But when you started talking about her, back in the living room and now here, you have proved me wrong. Your eyes softened every time you hear her name. I think Chaerin has found the right man. " Luhan confessed. 
"Thanks... But I would say that I am the one who found the right girl because I realized how empty my life is without her. I mean, we had our bad times and I was always the one who ran back to her arms. I needed her." Chanyeol reflected. 
"I know how you feel, but you do know that my mother came here to pick her up right?"
"Yeah, I sensed that coming..."
"Chaerin was accepted at a pretty good school, and mom wanted her to go there. Also, we haven't lived together in a while, so it’s a good change."
"I know... I've tried talking to her but she just won't change her mind..."
"So you're not against her going?"

"I mean, I know that I will have a hard time without her being by my side but I really hope she can achieve her dreams and I want her to spend more time with her family. I have always lived against my family and I realize that I made the wrong move. I don’t want her to make the same mistake as I did. I just want her to get the best if that means she has to leave, then letting her go is the least I can do..." 

“I understand how you feel Chanyeol-shi and it’s wise of you to consider the best thing for Chaerin. But it will be a tough job to persuade her to go to the States with us.” Luhan said with a concerned look.

“I know, I’ll talk to her and try to convince her but I can’t promise you anything. It’s sometimes hard to talk to her. She’s so strong-willed.” Chanyeol chuckled.

“I couldn’t agree more! But that’s one of her ‘thing’ that made you fall for her right” Luhan laughed teasingly. Chanyeol and Luhan spent their times endlessly talking about Chaerin and music. Luhan could see the passion in Chanyeol’s eyes and he knew that he is the right man for his sister. 

"Okay, it's gettin real late... You should drive me back to my hotel." Luhan told Chanyeol. 
"Let’s go!" Chanyeol replied. 
When they arrived at the hotel, Luhan went out from the car and thanked Chanyeol one last time.
"Thanks for the ride! Hope to talk to you again in the near future!" Luhan said. 
"No problem! It was nice talking to you!" Chanyeol replied.  
"By the way, my room number is 653. I just thought you might want to know..."
"What?" 
"I'm staying in the same room with my sister." Luhan winked.
"Ohhh... Thanks!" Chanyeol staggered, not sure how he should address Luhan who was 2 years older than him.
"Call me hyung!" 
"Thanks hyung! Hope to see you around!" Chanyeol waved his hands to Luhan and started the car's engine.