PERFECTION

THE PROMISE

 

Throughout the trip, Chaerin was bothered with her own thoughts. She walked silently as she kept a close watch on the boys, especially Chanyeol who was smiling regardless how he was really feeling inside. “Should I, or should I not tell him?” That question was on replay in her head.

“Hey, is something on your mind? You’ve been really quiet since we’ve gotten here.” Chaerin heard someone talking to her in English. It was Wu Fan.

“Ah, it’s nothing really…” She replied back in perfect English. It felt weird for Chaerin to be speaking in English when Chanyeol and Baekhyun were around, but at least now she could get away with talking about them.

“I’m pretty sure something’s bothering you.” Wu Fan pointed to Chanyeol who was reading the Disneyland map with Baekhyun and Yixing, trying to figure out which ride they would go on first.

Chaerin gave Wu Fan a bitter smiled and nodded weakly. She felt like an open book and that Wu Fan was reading right through her.

“He’s a really nice guy. I really admire your relationship with him.” Wu Fan pointed out.

Chaerin looked up to the tall figure. Although Wu Fan looked cold on-screen, he seemed very amiable. Chaerin could not exactly pin point where but Wu Fan certainly has that feature which could melt millions of girls’ hearts.  Honestly, Chaerin’s heart tingled a little when he looked her straight into her eyes.

“Umm… Thanks.” Chaerin replied, not exactly sure how to respond.

“I know this feels awkward knowing that we were strangers like two hours ago but, I think you should forgive him…”

“I have forgiven him a long time ago. I just haven’t gotten the courage to face him again… I don’t know. I’m selfish and insecure like that…” Chaerin shrugged and just fiddled with her fingers.

“I understand…” Wu Fan commented softly. “Anyways, do you know I used to live in Vancouver?”  Wu Fan changed the subject, knowing that Chaerin was getting uncomfortable.

“You did? That sounds pretty cool. So you were born there?”

“Not exactly… I moved there from Guangzhou…”

“Wow, you should take me around Vancouver if I ever gotten a chance to visit!” Chaerin remarked happily.

From afar, Chanyeol was watching them both carry on the lively chat from the corner of his eyes. Chanyeol could not stand the sight of Chaerin laughing along with Wu Fan. His chest was burning with jealousy. He picked up his heels and ran towards them. Baekhyun and Yixing called out his name but he was not listening. He got in between the two of them and swiftly but firmly interlaced his fingers with Chaerin’s.

“I’ll borrow her for a second.” Chanyeol took Chaerin away from Wu Fan and walked to the nearest bench together as if they were in a hurry. Chaerin sat on the bench and looked up to Chanyeol who just stood in front of her, motionless, like a statue.

“Now that there’s only the two of us, spill.” Chanyeol spoke up.

“Spill what?”

“Whatever’s on your mind.”

“I’ll get to the point right away.” Chaerin replied as Chanyeol’s conversation with Wu Fan rushed back through her memories. She finally made up my mind and blurted out, “Let’s go on our own separate ways.”

“No. I don’t want to.” It did not take Chanyeol a second time to think through his answer. He promised himself he would never let go of Chaerin for the second time.

“Why? Chanyeol, we live in different worlds. We travel in different directions. You would be better off without me. I know I’m being selfish and all, but please…” Chaerin trailed off. She was not sure she was happy with her decision but she does not want to stop Chanyeol from chasing his dreams.

“Hey, you can’t be the only one who’s selfish!” Chanyeol told Chaerin which surprised her in his change of attitude. “I want to be selfish too, and I want you to stay by my side!”

“I can’t Chanyeol, I’m just going to burden you and your hard-earned career.” Chaerin looked away from Chanyeol as his eyes pierced Chaerin’s heart with guilt. This was her second time calling off the relationship. She felt very selfish. Very very selfish. Quite a lot of people noticed who Chanyeol was, and started taking pictures of him. None of that bothered him as he was too immersed in his conversation with Chaerin.

“Is what you said the only reason? Did you also have a change of heart?”

“Yes, I don’t love you anymore. I hate you now.”

“What?”

“I hate you. I hate you for making me weak when you’re not around. I hate you for always reminding me to smile like an idiot no matter how tough things are. I hate you for occupying my mind every night and day…” Chaerin wiped the tears that managed to escape her eyes and directed her eyes away from Chanyeol. Chanyeol was taken aback by Chaerin’s confession. He intuitively leaned in, cupped Chaerin’s face and pulled her closer, placing his lips on hers before she get to go on. Chaerin received the kiss and placed her arms around Chanyeol’s neck.  As Chaerin broke the kiss, Chanyeol blurted out, “You know if that’s the case, that means I hate you too.”

“What do you mean?”

“I hate you for making me want to steal you and take you back to Korea.” Chanyeol grinned and wiped Chaerin’s tears off her face like how a father would do to his crying daughter.

“You don’t have to keep it all bottled inside… I know you inside out.” Chanyeol continued as he grabbed Chaerin’s hand, lifting her up from the bench and hugged her tightly under his arms.

“So you do know I still like you?” Chaerin mumbled, feeling a bit embarrassed. 

“Correction, not like, but love!” Chanyeol joked around causing Chaerin to feel more comfortable, just like the old days. 

“I feel like a fool…” Chaerin muttered to his shirt and hugged him back. In her heart, she was genuinely happy.  She felt very special.

“A very cute one of course…” Chanyeol replied and winked.

“Aigo, that’s so cliché…” Chaerin commented with a small pout on her lips. After that, she pushed Chanyeol away and took her bag from the bench.

As they both prepared themselves to leave, Chanyeol turned his head and asked, “So, should we enjoy Disneyland now?”

“We should! I want to go to the Disneystore first!” Chaerin walked up to Chanyeol and took his hand.

“Is it okay if we leave Baekhyun, Yixing and Wu Fan alone?” Chaerin asked with curiosity.

“It’s fine, at least Wu Fan can make sure they won’t get lost.”

“Ahhh, I feel sorry for Wu Fan cause he would have to babysit them both…” Chaerin giggled.  Chanyeol looked down and smiled at his girlfriend. Everything went perfectly as planned. Sort of.

 “Hey Chanyeol, why do you love that bomb cap so much? It’s getting really old…” Chaerin asked as she put on the Minnie mouse headband Chanyeol bought for her. “This is so cute…” She whispered to herself.

“Because it was the first thing you gave me….” Chanyeol confessed, feeling a little bit shy with his own statement. After they both left the Disneystore, they agreed on going on the Splash Mountains first. They both stood in line and garnered a lot of attention. They were both labeled as tourists as they were speaking in Korean and some thought they were newlyweds. To those who knew who Chanyeol really was, they secretly took pictures with their iphones or ipads and wrote live fanaccounts on their blog. Some even called out his name, to which he did not respond as he was too busy talking with Chaerin. When they finally reached their turn to ride on the boat, Chanyeol held Chaerin’s hand as she went in the boat. Although the ride was fairly quick, both of them were soaking wet. Chanyeol’s cap was soaked in water and parts of his light brown hair draped down his forehead. Chaerin’s hair went all frizzy and tangled up. Chanyeol laughed when he saw Chaerin’s hair.

“You look so funny!” Chanyeol took out his phone and started snapping pictures of Chaerin. Chaerin tried getting the phone from Chanyeol.

“Hey let me see” She stood on her toes and tried to reach Chanyeol’s hand. Both of them playfully joked around until Chaerin tripped over her shoelaces. Chanyeol grabbed her just in time and saved her the embarrassment of falling in public. Chaerin thanked Chanyeol and as she was about to break out from Chanyeol’s grab, he hugged her even tighter.

“Can we stay like this for a while…” Chanyeol whispered. Chaerin returned the hug and rested her head on Chanyeol’s chest. She realized how Chanyeol grew skinnier from all the exhaustion of debuting and promoting their new single.

“I missed you so much. My days are now lonelier since you’re not around…” Chanyeol buried his face in Chaerin’s hair.

“Stay with me…” Chaerin looked up to Chanyeol’s face.

“I hope I can…” Chanyeol took Chaerin’s face and stared at her eyes.

“Yeah… I never thought it will be this hard…” Chaerin trailed off as suddenly something struck her mind and she pushed Chanyeol away from her.

“Wait here for a second; I’ll be back in five minutes. Wait, make it four! Don’t go anywhere!” Chaerin ran away from Chanyeol into the crowds. Chanyeol was a bit dumbfounded. He has never seen Chaerin ran that fast. “Things are weird today…” He thought to himself. While waiting, he went to the nearest bench and sat there. He took out his earphones from his back pocket and jacked it into his phone. As he was listening to his favorite song, Chaerin came running to him. Her breaths were heavy from all the running, but she had something in her hands. She placed the box on Chanyeol’s lap and sat beside him, trying to catch her breath.

“What’s this?” Chanyeol unwrapped the box. 

“A present. Tomorrow’s our 3rd anniversary…” Chaerin replied with her eyes closed. She was too tired. “I really need to exercise more…” She told herself quietly.

Chanyeol finished unwrapping and found a white baseball cap of Chaerin’s favorite baseball team.

“Wait isn’t this yours?” Chanyeol directed his eyes toward Chaerin who still had her eyes shut tight. Chanyeol remembered her talking about the cap while they were both on the phone, a long time ago. Chaerin was pretty amazed that Chanyeol still remembered and replied, “Now it’s yours… It has been my lucky charm for the past year, and now you can have it.”

“Ohh thanks, but how do you get it wrapped in a box? I mean, you don’t even know I’m coming…”

 “I always had it in my bag. It reminded me of you, somehow. So, I just went in the store and asked for it to be wrapped. They’re pretty neat with this stuff, I mean look at how cute that paper bow is!” Chaerin finally straightened up and smiled at Chanyeol. She took off the black bomb cap Chanyeol was wearing and replaced it with the new white one.

“It fits nicely! Now you can alternate between this cap and the bomb cap!” Chaerin extened her thumb upward, as she repeatedly said “daebak!”

Chanyeol was touched at what her girlfriend did and kissed her forehead. “Yes happy 3rd anniversary…” He whispered in his deep voice so close to Chaerin that it sent Chaerin tiny goose bumps. Chanyeol wrapped his arms around Chaerin as she leaned her head to his shoulder. 

“My God! Is that Minnie mouse? I want to take a picture with her!” A familiar voice was heard from the back of them both. Chaerin stood up immediately and knew it was Baekhyun.

“Oops, I think we’re ruining a perfect moment…” He continued as Yixing and Wu Fan followed after him with their hands on their mouths, trying to hold back their laughter. 

“Hey! Baekhyun-ah!” Chaerin pointed at him! “I’ll get you!” She ran after Baekhyun who was skipping his way to Minnie Mouse. Yixing, Chanyeol and Wu Fan watched them and just felt happy. 

“Everything’s working out fine bro?” Wu Fan rhetorically asked Chanyeol as he sat beside him. He gestured Yixing to sit beside him and they all sat together on the bench.

Chanyeol just smirked at Wu Fan and pointed to his newly acquired hat. Wu Fan smiled indicating that he’s happy for him and they both laughed together.

“Wait, why are you guys laughing?” Yixing asked innocently.

“Umm, he does not get it…. Let’s just catch up with them!” Chanyeol stood up and Wu Fan followed.

“Why won’t they tell me what’s going on! Why does bad things always happen to good people like me?” Yixing talked to himself in frustration. “Hey wait up guys!”