A SWEET KIDNAP

THE PROMISE

 

Two months passed by in a blink of an eye. Chanyeol's band's popularity soared. They were now an international icon. The band were scheduled for two concerts in the states and the boys were very excited. Except for someone.
"So…have you told Chaerin you'll be around for the next two weeks?" Baekhyun asked Chanyeol who was busy playing a game on his phone. They were hanging out in a lounge in the airport, waiting for their delayed flight straight to LA. 
"Nope." Chanyeol answered briefly and resumed his game. Although everyone was very excited for their first every trip to the States, Chanyeol showed no anticipation at all.
"Are you planning on telling her?" Baekhyun continued.
"I don't think so..."
"What's wrong with you two? Have you broken up with her?"
"Nope..."
"You guys are so hopeless..." Baekhyun hand-palmed himself and looked away from Chanyeol. He was frustrated with Chanyeol’s short replies. "So, you haven't talked to her since your big fight?" He continued.
Chanyeol just shook his head.
"Oh god. Duizhang, you should tell this kid what to do. His love life is a mess I can't even..." Baekhyun called Wu Fan to come over.

“What’s up?” Wu Fan peeked over at Baekhyun and Chanyeol and sat at an empty seat beside them.

“This guy is hopeless. We’re finally going to the States, where his girlfriend is currently living and he shows no interest whatsoever in seeing her.  Something is wrong with him!” Baekhyun explained to Wu Fan who listened attentively.

“Ohh… I understand now.” Wu Fan nodded.

“What are you guys talking about? It seems interesting!” Yixing hovered over to them as he was carrying four cans of coke. He handed out the cans to everyone except Chanyeol who just gestured telling Yixing he does not want one.

“Look Chanyeol, you can’t always run away from your problems. Silent treatments don’t work.” Wu Fan advised Chanyeol. “I might sound like an old man, but I really do think you guys should work things out. I’ve been in your position before and trust me, if none of you guys open up, it’ll end up… bad. Really bad. You don’t want to go back to point zero… being strangers, again.”

Baekhyun nodded in agreement. Yixing just stared blankly at Wu Fan, amazed with how wise his words were.   

“So you guys think I should apologize?” Chanyeol finally looked away from his phone and seemed concerned.

“Yes! You should’ve done it two months ago to be honest...” Baekhyun commented sarcastically while sipping his coke.

“How should I do it?” Chanyeol puts down his phone and leaned forward towards Baekhyun, Yixing and Wu Fan, showing interest.

Baekhyun tapped his chin with his slender long fingers. “Hmm, surprise her!” Baekhyun finally replied!

“Yes! With flowers!” Yixing added.

“Yes, yes! And a teddy bear too!” Baekhyun added too.

“That’s a good one! Also, serenade her! I’ll lend you my guitar!” Yixing exclaimed in a lively tone.

“Guys, let’s stick to something more realistic. I don’t think she’ll forgive him right away, so we should take her somewhere, like somewhere really romantic. Then we’ll let them talk.” Wu Fan suggested, raining on Baekhyun and Yixing’s excitement.

“Then we should think of a place Chaerin will like…” Baekhyun said.

All four of them stayed quiet, until Chanyeol stood up surprising his friends.

“I know!” He shouted and ran to his manager. “Manager hyung! I need a day off!”

Baekhyun and Wu Fan looked at Chanyeol and gave each other knowing stares.

“Nice teamwork Baekhyun!” Wu Fan high-fived Baekhyun.

“We make such a good team!” Baekhyun winked.

 

After endless begging and persuading, Chanyeol's manager finally lets him go to see Chaerin under two conditions: 1. He needs to take the entire band member with him, 2. the band needs to stay undercover. So the four of them rented a small white van and drove to Chaerin's apartment.
"I can't believe manager hyung bought into our plan!" Baekhyun said.
"Yeah! I'm so excited to see Chanyeol's girlfriend. I'm surprised she could stand you for almost three years!" Wu Fan commented as he drove.
"What's funniest is that Chanyeol told manager hyung that we're seeing his 'friend' not 'girlfriend'!" Yi Xing added and everyone in the car laughed.
"Hey! If I told him we're seeing my girlfriend, he would probably lock us all in a room and not let us go anywhere!" Chanyeol replied.
"Okay, here we are!" Wu Fan peeked out his window. "This should be Chaerin's apartment..."
"Should we just wait here?" Baekhyun asked.
"Yeah, I wanted to surprise her... She should leave for college anytime soon." Chanyeol replied and reread the text message Eun Mi sent him earlier, trying to make sure he was not waiting at wrong place and time.

“Wait, how do you know?” Yi Xing tilted his head. “You’re such a great stalker!”

“I asked Eun Mi okay, and she asked her.” Chanyeol replied briefly, knowing that Yixing’s questions were always unimportant most of the time.
The car was then quiet. Wu Fan just sat still as he was looking forward to seeing Chanyeol's girlfriend for the first time. Yi Xing was sleeping soundly with his head rested on Baekhyun’s shoulder. Baekhyun was busy texting Yun Hee and Chanyeol was thinking of words to greet Chaerin. They have not talked for a while and he was not really sure what to do.

"Hey Chanyeol, is that her?" Wu Fan asked and pointed at a figure walking towards their car.
"Yes that's her!" Chanyeol responded and kept a close watch on Chaerin.
Chaerin was in a sheer floral shirt with denim shorts and a pair of black converse sneakers. A gold tote bag was clinging down her shoulder. Chaerin saw the car through her aviators walked in that direction, just because her college was in the same direction.

“Aren’t you going to greet her?” Wu fan asked Chanyeol.

“Uhh… I’m really nervous right now… felt like the day when I was about to ask her out.”

“Stop being so dramatic just get out of this car now, or she’ll probably leave!”

Chanyeol left the car and hurriedly ran after Chaerin. He grabbed her by the shoulder and spun her around.
"Chaerin-ah!" He exclaimed, surprising Chaerin at her boyfriend's sudden appearance.
"Omo... What are you doing here?" She asked stuttering as she was still shocked.
"I have work here..." Chanyeol answered briefly.
"Ohhh..." Chaerin lost her interest immediately and decided to leave.  She hated the fact that Chanyeol’s presence there reminded her that he’s not a nobody anymore. He’s Chanyeol, the bassist for a renowned band.
"Umm... Do you want to have lunch together?" Chanyeol gathered his courage to ask. He knew the offer was going to be rejected but it was worth the shot.
"No." Chaerin walked away from Chanyeol. Chanyeol followed after her in a very pre-calculated manner. He knew it was coming. Chaerin was very headstrong. She would not give in if she was not moved.
"Come on Chaerin-ah..."
"No. Why don't you eat with your other celebrity friends? I am not a celebrity. "
"We need to talk things through Chaerin now that our heads are cool..."
"I don't think we have anything else to talk about."
"Chaerin-ah..." Chanyeol took Chaerin's hand which stopped her. Chaerin quickly shook off her hand of Chanyeol's and looked at Chanyeol straight into his eyes.
"Chanyeol, I’m tired of you always breaking your promises. And look, now you're trying to make it up by having lunch together? Two months later? You could've at least texted me or called me..." Chaerin let out everything that has been occupying her mind. Tears started to brim her eyes. She actually has forgiven him a long time ago, but would not let her tell him the truth.

“I’m sorry Chaerin…” Chanyeol said quietly. He does not know how else he should respond.

Chaerin, again, did not say anything. Her eyes were glued to the concrete floor. As she was about to pick up her heels and start walking away, she was taken aback by Kibum who came to both of them.

“Hey Chaerin! Are you going to class now?” Kibum asked Chaerin lively ignoring Chanyeol’s presence.

“Ah, Kibum! Yes, yes I am.” Chaerin replied with a fake facial expression and wiped the tears off her face. She was trying to hide her unstable emotions, thanks to Chanyeol.

Chanyeol took Chaerin’s hand and pulled her to stand beside him. Chaerin just shot him a mean look but kept his façade. Kibum turned to Chanyeol and finally acknowledged his presence, “Oh, Chanyeol! Fancy meeting you here.” Kibum gave him a not-so-genuine smile. Chanyeol just bowed at him. Although he hated doing so, Kibum is afterall his sunbae in the entertainment world.

“So, should we go now? I’ll drive you…” Kibum asked Chaerin, again, ignoring Chanyeol for the second time. Before Chaerin gets the chance to answer, Chanyeol blurted out, “No, she’s coming with me. Better luck next time!” Chanyeol literally dragged Chaerin away and forced her to get in the van.

“Are you crazy Chanyeol? I have class! And how could you just yank me away from Kibum like that?” Chaerin shouted at Chanyeol when she went in the van.

“Can you please let me explain myself… We’ll drive you there! Just let me explain without having Kibum butting in our affairs.” Chanyeol begged.

“You are impossible Chanyeol.” Chaerin sighed.

Baekhyun, Wu Fan and Yixing just watched them in silence. The atmosphere tensed and Baekhyun knew he had to get involved, a bit.

“Chaerin!” Baekhyun exclaimed with glee and hugged her immediately. Chaerin did not realize that she was not only with Chanyeol in the van. She returned Baekhyun’s hug and patted his back.

“Man, I miss you!” Chaerin smiled.

“Let me introduce you to my friends! This is Wu Fan, he’ll be our driver for the day, and that’s Yixing! Guys, this is Chaerin, Chanyeol’s…” Baekhyun trailed off to which Chanyeol finished “girlfriend.” He pulled Chaerin away from Baekhyun, showing his overprotective-ness.

Chaerin blushed at Chanyeol’s action but kept her cool. “Hi Yixing and Wu Fan! I can’t believe I get to see you guys in person! This is amazing!” Chaerin shook Yixing and Wu Fan’s hand.  As she was about to sit back, the car moved. Chaerin looked out the window and turned her head, looking at Chanyeol. He was watching her all the time.

“Stop looking at me.”  Chaerin said without glanving at Chanyeol.

“Is it a crime to keep on staring at someone so beautiful?” Chanyeol joked to which caused the other members to burst out laughing.

“Yah!” Chaerin lips curved into a mini smile unconsciously and threw Baekhyun’s pillow right to Chanyeol’s face.

“Wow! Didn’t think that would make you blush!” Chanyeol exclaimed, feeling accomplished.

“A..a..aniya!” Chaerin stuttered as she was a tad bit nervous. Chaerin went on to ignore Chanyeol until she caught the sight of her college building.

“Hey Wu Fan, you can stop the van here. I’ll just walk now that it’s close…” Chaerin picked up her bag and as she was to hold on to the door’s handle, Baekhyun shouted “No! Don’t stop Wu Fan!”  to which Wu Fan abided. Chaerin’s jaw dropped as the van passed through her college.

“You guys! Now I will definitely miss class! What do you guys want?” She asked out of mild frustration. Her day was like a roller coaster ride, except with much more drama.

“Chaerin, let’s go somewhere! We begged our manager like crazy to get this day off and we want to spend it with you!” Baekhyun told Chaerin with his puppy eyes, something Chaerin could not go against. Finally admitting defeat, Chaerin saw through his round hazel eyes and sighed “Fine, just today okay guys? But if that mean professor gives me a C I’m so blaming all of you!”

The boys cheered and laughed at how easy Chaerin would give in. Chanyeol was right, beforehand he told Baekhyun that Chaerin could only not give in to two things, a good pair of shoes and a cute aegyo.

“Let’s go to the happiest place on earth!” Chanyeol clapped his hands and grinned, showing his perfectly aligned polished teeth.

“Wait, we’re going to Disneyland?” Chaerin impulsively stood up in the van and bumped her head on the ceiling. “aww” she whispered to herself and held her head. Chanyeol reached out and patted her head while he repeatedly said , “My poor baby…” Chaerin, again unconsciously, smiled. She missed Chanyeol, a lot.

“Okay, since it’s going to take an hour or so to get there, I might as well use this time wisely to sleep. Wake me up when we’ve arrived.” Chaerin took Baekhyun’s pillow again and placed it under her head, allowing her to lean to the window comfortably. The van was passing through the highway and Chaerin’s breaths became slower. As she was about to fall asleep, Wu Fan broke the silence and asked Chanyeol, “So, she hasn’t forgiven you yet?”

Chaerin’s body tensed at the topic of the conversation and decided to eavesdrop.

“Aniya…” Chanyeol responded in a disappointed tone.

 “So what are you going to do now? Break up with her?” Wu Fan realisticly stated the obvious.

“I still want to…” Before Chanyeol gets to finish Baekhyun immediately screamed at the sight of the tall and grand Disneyland gates.

“WE’RE HERE!” He exclaimed to which Yixing chimed in. Chaerin pretended to wake up from her sleep, although she never did fall asleep, thanks to Chanyeol and Wu Fan.

As the five of them walked out of the car, Chaerin sighed to herself “Gah, I really do need to tell him how I really feel…”