SCANDAL

THE PROMISE

 

“Explain this to me!” Chanyeol’s manager threw a Korean gossip magazine on the coffee table. Chanyeol innocently picked up the magazine and looked at the cover. The band went back to Korea a couple of days ago to prepare for their comeback. 

“Hmmm, explain what?” Chanyeol did not get it as the cover was of a Korean girl band he does not know. 

“Flip to page 5.” His manager replied in a harsh intonation.

Chanyeol flipped over to page 5 of the magazine and found his eyes to widen automatically. Seeing Chanyeol’s facial expression, Yi xing, Wu fan and Baekhyun tried to get a glimpse of the magazine. Chanyeol could not believe his eyes. In the magazine there was a two page spread filled with pictures of him and Chaerin in Disneyland. 

"Whoa, you've gotten yourself involved with some serious paparazzi issue!" Wu Fan commented. The four of them looked at every thumbnail picture intently. There was one of Chaerin and Chanyeol in one of the stores, trying on headbands and one of them after lunch. Every single thing they did  that day were snapped and published. 
"Hey, these pictures aren't too bad... They only look like friends. Like really good ones!" Baekhyun defended Chanyeol.
"Yeah I agree, we can just say that to the press." Wu Fan added. 
"It's not that simple. Now flip to the next page. The finale's there." Their manager commanded Chanyeol. He sounded very irritated and stressed. This was a big issue for a rising rookie like them and his manager will be held accountable as he let them took the break.

“Oh God.” Baekhyun blurted out as soon as Chanyeol flipped the page. Chanyeol’s hands started shaking and he dropped the magazine on his laps. He placed his head in his hands. Wu Fan took the magazine away from him and saw the picture. It was a picture of Chanyeol and Chaerin hugging intimately.

“Yes… oh god. Now we can’t use that excuse…” Wu Fan added. Yixing stood behind Wu Fan and saw the picture. 

“Hmm, I’m guessing we’re in big trouble… yes?” Yixing asked. “Oh by the way, you look good there Chanyeol. I really like your hat!” He joked. Wu Fan and Baekhyun shot him death glares.
"Chanyeol! What were you thinking? Going on a date in public? Stop being so reckless! Don't you know what kind of mess have you dragged all of your members into?”

“I’m sorry manager hyung. I’m sorry guys.” Chanyeol muttered.

“Sorry? You’re only sorry? I don’t think only saying sorry could solve the problem. I don’t even know how we’re ever going to explain this to the press and our boss. My head hurts now.”

“Come on hyung, we’ll work something out. Right guys?” Baekhyun added.

The rest of the band nodded in agreement. The manager kept on rambling but Chanyeol had zoned out. He kept replaying the events of the day prior in his head.

"Are you listening?"

Chanyeol snapped back to reality. His manager was staring him in the face. "Uh.. yes."

"I'll have to discuss this with upper management, so don't do anything stupid for the time being."

The band manager turned and walked out the door. Chanyeol gathered his thoughts and smiled wearily at the rest of the band. "Sorry," he finally mustered.

"Hey, didn't we say we'd work it out?" Baekhyun patted Chanyeol on the shoulder. "Besides, what is a band without one or two scandals to spice things up?"

Wu Fan elbowed Baekhyun in the ribs. "Yeah, it'll be okay."

"Sorry guys, I think I want to be alone for a bit," Chanyeol muttered while he trudged towards the door. The rest of his bandmates shared worried looks.