Request

I'm here, that's all it matters.[ON HOLD]

 

You sat there. Just staring.  So this guy is his best friend? 

Myungsoo stared at Sungyeol puzzled. “Uh, yeah. My best friend. We live together. Yeah.”

You sensed some sort of tension in the air. Sungyeol kept putting up a smile, a very awkward and faux one. Myungsoo was tensed up for some reason. Something about his behaviour made you very uncomfortable. He finally made a decision to stand up and do something.

"It's almost 9, Aeree, let's just go home. Yeol, I'll see you at home." Myungsoo grabbed all his things and pulled you up.

The walk home was utterly quiet. You didn't know what to say and Myungsoo didn't attempt to talk. Even when you reached your home, he just waved and left.

"Something must have happened somewhere."

Myungsoo sat on his sofa, staring at his best friend pacing back and forth.

"Was that the reason to transfer?"

"No. And she’s Aeree, not ‘that’”

“Then what is your problem?” He grabbed Myungsoo by the collar.

“You, Lee Sungyeol. You’re MY problem. Stop associating me with your spiteful deeds. I had enough. I've seen her brother die in front of me. Her own blood brother. She doesn't even know why they're being chased down. She is innocent." Myungsoo shook himself free from the tight grip.

"She's our next target. She will soon know. Nothing you do will stop me. I stop this I'll die. You stop me you’ll die. Simple theory isn’t it?” Sungyeol  spat.

“I don’t know why you’re still helping him. His debts were paid off, why still linger around?”

“You don’t know everything.”

Myungsoo stood up, grabbing pieces of loose paper from the drawer beside him and throwing it to Sungyeol. “Now, this. This is where you underestimate me. Yes. I do. See this? What happened to the guy whom I treated like my own brother?” Myungsoo slammed his palms on the table. He had had enough.

Sungyeol felt his heart sunk. This was not the first time Myungsoo brought this up. The only time he repeated things was only to reiterate his message. "I'm sick and tired of asking you to stop. But if you can't, sorry. Neither can I. I'm going out for a walk." Myungsoo left the house with a bang.

“I wished I knew. I wished I knew.” Sungyeol covered his face in his hands.

Chuseok was held two days after the festival. Like every Thanksgiving, there is always a feast being prepared for. This year was very much different than the previous. Not all of the boys were here in Korea and Mr Kim could only make it for the feast.

“You ready?” Baekhyun knocked on your door, clad in black. You nodded. The house was filled with sullen air. Breakfast was a silent issue. Spoons were scraping on the plates like there was no tomorrow. No one attempted to talk; it was the only shared agreement they had.

The car ride was no different. Mostly because everyone except you and Butler Kim were asleep. You tried to sleep, but everything could not stop you from looking at your phone. Your finger fiddled with your phone. It was already six months since his passing. He just had to go didn’t he?

Memories, those sweet little memories. Your life could have been a lie if nothing bad happened. Sure nothing bad did, but things change, people change. That change can make something good bad and vice versa. Unknowningly, your finger kept rubbing over a spot in your wallet.

That spot was a photo of four of you; Yunwoo, Luhan, Baekhyun and little you. At that time, the boys were having a small match in basketball. You were enjoying your ice cream while on a swing, happily cheering everyone on. Ahjumma came over and called for a group shot.

You didn't want to take a picture with them because they were all so sticky and sweaty. Ahjumma forced you to move closer to them but you didn't bulge. Of course, you started to run away. Yunwoo grabbed you by the arm and hugged you tightly to him. You squirmed, feeling really disgusted and ticklish. Snap!

"See, it wasn't that bad," Ahjumma commented, smiling.

"Oppa you stink! Lulu oppa also!" You pinched your nose, disgusted.

Baekhyun came over and hugged you, "Oh really? So I'm not smelly?"

You pushed him away, "YOU'RE THE WORST. YOU SMELL LIKE YEOL OPPA'S SOCKS. "

"What did you say? What about my socks?" Chanyeol popped his head out of the kitchen.

"YOU'RE GONNA GET IT FROM ME! YEOL-AH, CATCH HER!" 13 year-old Baekhyun yelled, his voice squeaked a little. You shrilled and ran around in circles trying to save yourself from the 'pits' of death.

"YUNWOO OPPA HELP." You hid behind him. He took advantage of it and held you back. It all ended when Jongin came out with a bucket of water and splashed it on all of you.

You loved those days. You didn't have to worry about anything. That time the world revolved around all of you. No one had to make decisions and no one got hurt. Your childhood days. Everyone wants theirs back. But that could never happen; once gone, always gone.

“We’re here.” Butler Kim stopped.

You shook Jongin who was leaning on your shoulder awake. He somehow managed to elbow Kyungsoo whose groan woke Sehun and Baekhyun up knocking their heads together. Chanyeol was then kicked at the shin by Sehun.

"Us and this unbearable domino effect." Sehun rubbed his head, moping.

"Tell me about it." Kyungsoo massaged his shoulder.

One by one everyone went in. Everyone stood in a semi-circle, in a synchronised stance around the many urns. One by one, they placed flowers under the name. Baekhyun wordlessly placed a little Pororo right next to the bunch of flowers. They hushed a silent prayer before leaving you alone.

“It’s good seeing you again, hyung.” Sehun.

“Hyung. Thank you.” Jongin

“We’ll wait for you in the car, Aeree.”

You were finally left alone in the columbarium.  You didn’t know whether to start screaming or crying. Every emotion you felt were all mashed up together. “Hey” was the only thing that came out of your mouth.

It was not even a perfect hey. You stuttered over that one syllable. Nothing came to your mind except this one thing. “I’m turning 16 this year. You know that. Remembered what you told me you’ll do when I’m 16? Find me a boyfriend. Yeah. I laughed at it back then, but I see why you wanted to do that. I don’t know a single thing about boys even after living with 13 for years. I’m just wondering if I have found the right guy, can the girl make the first move?”

You wiped away your tears, old memories running through your mind. “You know, just like how you want girls to. Like how Hwayoung unni did with you. I don’t know what happened but I heard she couldn’t take it anymore and left the country. She cried badly like I did. Didn’t want to move until we all did. You saw that oppa?”

“It must be stupid of me to cry about this. Pabo me. I can hear you laughing alright. My sister really likes this guy, huh? You’re saying that aren’t you? Yes. Yes I do.”



 

OH MY GOODNESS. Has it been over a month already? I can't keep a good schedule, oh dear. Props to those people who manage to adapt into secondary really quickly. |(o.o)| I surrender. This is hard. I'll just be posting when I can squeeze in time. Ugh.<3 to those who have been waiting. I am really really sorry, I apologise for the wait.