s i x

A Hundred Days

 

Wu Fan woke up to the scrumptious whiff of bacon and strong coffee, letting out a little groan. His back cringes in pain, making it a little harder to get up. It’s what he gets for sleeping in one, uncomfortable position throughout the night. He remembered getting beat up with work—and a little alcohol to unwind for a while—and collapsing in bed. He hasn’t even changed his clothes.

Groaning, he lifted himself off the bed. He glanced at the clock and dashed straight to the shower when he realized it was almost seven-thirty in the morning. He was late. It was perfectly satirical. The man who had warned others that if they’re late would get a punishment is late, too.

After he was prepared, he proceeded to the garage, not even having his breakfast. He was used to it. He was used to not having breakfast. What’s the use of it when he’s alone anyway? His mother is never around because of her endless trips to different countries for fashion shows. And whenever she gets the chance to go home, she’s stuck with quantities of works.

His father would grab a coffee and head straight to his own company, not even considering breakfast. Wu Fan thought his father was kind of, like, immortal. He never dies or gets sick even if he won’t eat the entire day. It was incredible yet kind of creepy.

Sometimes, Wu Fan would think about replacing the kitchen into something else—like another office room maybe. Besides, the people living in this house were all workhorses anyway.

“Oh, Kris-ssi!” Wu Fan’s male butler, which name he barely even remembers, called from the kitchen. He handed Wu Fan a small, black paper bag. “This is what you asked for yesterday. They sent it as soon as they could just like you asked me to.”

Wu Fan didn’t even utter at least a brief thanks. Instead, he left right away.

He reached the Wu Corporations after thirty minutes, pretending like he wasn’t even late. Carelessly stopping the car in front of the entrance, he stepped out, grabbed his coat and marched to the building charmingly. Some of the people walking by have stopped to stare.

He rolled his eyes. It was nothing out of the ordinary. For years, the people were made to believe that Wu Fan was the perfect bachelor. He’s striking and intelligent—which, for most of the girls, is the perfect boyfriend material. But little did they know, he was not close to perfection. All they see and know is the well-mannered Wu Fan on TV.

When the elevator doors opened upon reaching the 32nd floor, he noticed how his employees scattered around the minute Wu Fan came into view. Even though it felt good for Wu Fan that his employees respected him, he would have wished for them to approach him more comfortably.

Song Qian, Wu Fan’s secretary, got to her feet the moment he passed by. She stuttered over her greeting, biting her lip when she realized how she messed up her greeting. Wu Fan strolled directly to his office, not even taking the trouble to respond.

Before he could even get inside his office, he remembered a certain someone who is supposed to be here at this jiffy. Pausing with his hand on the door handle, he glanced back at Song Qian. “Did someone look for me?” he asked.

Song Qian looked taken aback after hearing him speak. It was probably the first time, after four years she had started working in the company, Wu Fan had spoken to her. She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear nervously. “Um, n-n-no,” she stammered.

Wu Fan shrugged casually. “If anyone looks for me, send her straight to the office.”

Song Qian nodded briskly, playing with her fingers. “Of course, President Kris.”

As soon as he closed the door, he hung his coat on the clothes hanger and plopped down on the chair. He was dead tired. He could’ve decided not to come to work but he knew that if he missed even just one day, his father would definitely regard this as irresponsibility.

Besides, it won’t be just another day. This was going to be different.

There could have been a reason why the coffee slopped on his shirt yesterday. And yes, he did mean it when he told that woman, Kim Taeyeon, she was going to pay for it. And then that woman appears all of a sudden, bringing her a cup full of surprises. Surprises that amused the hell out of Wu Fan himself.

He could’ve dissed her right then and there. He had the chance but he didn’t take it. The woman distracted her. She wasn’t downright attractive or even y. She wasn’t the type of woman who draws attention immediately. She was… plain.

The dirt on her cheek, which he supposed that it could’ve been from the car shop she works at, was enough to catch his attention. She wasn’t even wearing those skimpy skirts or those cropped tees. He does remember her wearing overalls, wondering if her legs were rather fat or somehow slender. And a Mickey Mouse shirt. He chuckled, thinking how babyish she looked like.

It was awesome how she treated him normally like he was just any other person. Probably because she didn’t have a single clue of who he really was. She looked definitely adorable, Wu Fan thought, when she tried to retrieve the envelope that was meant for him. She was cute when she argued with him.

And that deal? He wondered whether that woman was serious. Glancing at the clock, he became conscious on how late she was. He was thinking of the possibilities that she would back out all of a sudden and run away. Considering that he doesn’t know any single thing about her, she could escape too without difficulty.

She was almost an hour late.

Wu Fan tightened his clutch on the machete, mulling over of the odds that the woman maybe had considered running away. Or maybe she—

His phone rang out of the blue, snapping Wu Fan back to reality. Studying his table, he realized he hasn’t started doing his paper works when he should have an hour ago.

“What?” he answered with irritation.

“P-President Kris?” It was his secretary. Who else could it be anyway? “Someone’s looking for you.”

“I told you to send her right in, didn’t I?”

Song Qian gasped anxiously. “Yes! Yes!” she exclaimed, stammering. “I… I’ll send her right in!”

One of the things Wu Fan hated was when he has to repeat himself. When he says something, he says it once and should never again be repeated.

And there she was. Opening the door was the woman from yesterday. He gazed at her, examining her outfit from head to toe. She wore a gray sweatshirt, scruffy overalls (She seems to like overalls. At least she looks good with it than most people. But seriously, how old is she?) And she also wore the same Converse sneakers from yesterday. She looked charming.

“Oh, wow,” the woman breathed out, her eyes tracing every line of his office.

Wu Fan sat up, leaning on the table with his palms intertwined. The woman doesn’t even fathom his presence. She casually strolled around his office, gazing around and looking astonished. Wu Fan doesn’t deny the fact that her reaction to his four-walled, plain office amuses her.

“Seriously, this is amazing,” the woman said. “If I live in this kind of house, I would never go out again.”

If only she knows, Wu Fan thought bitterly.


 

♣ rackcity —

so, i have to tell you guys something horrible ;~;

it's the first day of school and.... i'd be giving slow updates from now on.

i have to get serious and reach my goals but don't worry. 

i promised to finish this. so comments would be nice! xoxo