o n e

A Hundred Days

 

One day, around the time Soojin was ten, she realized she could judge her happiness by Carlos, the name she has named for the conked-out cars being brought about by the customers. When she was eventful, full of plans and resolution, she raced out of the shop, past the four cars being worked on, feeling completely jealous.

She could tell she was unhappy when she studied Carlos with pure bitterness—well, technically there are a lot of them but still, they’re cars—wishing it was her who got to be served. Wishing it was her being cleaned and made sure she was contented. She was broken, too. Only she was the type of car who still works even if she was profoundly hurt.

But of course, she can’t admit it. How can she? Even if she wanted to ask for more, like a mother perhaps, she can’t rewind the time and bring her mother back? Albeit she was deprived of it, her friends were the temporary replacement. At least they make her feel better. At least they make her forget about needing a mother for a short time.

She barely remembers the face of her mother, which sometimes makes her feel a little better. Moping around the entire day and missing her mother aren’t exactly what she wanted to do all the time. She needed to move around and to pretend that she’s happy. She needs to look happy.

Her father looks happy. At least happier than he was when her mother died. There wasn’t exactly an evident cause as to her mother’s death. When she was at the age of seven, her mother woke her up in the middle of the night, repeating the words I love you over and over again and telling her things happen for a reason.

The next morning, she was gone. Soojin couldn’t grasp what happened or as to why her mother looked beyond scared that night. The doctors said it was “terminal depression” that led to her mother’s sudden demise. But what Soojin doesn’t understand was why her mother was depressed. She seemed to be happy whilst she lived.

Rowdy laughter was heard from the other side of the shop. Soojin looked to where it was coming from, only to find Jungsoo ahjussi sniggering with a woman. Twisting the water hose, she studied the woman for few minutes. She looked like she could be 40-year-old but with the heavy makeup covering her face, she seems older.

She shrugged. Oh, well, she thought nonchalantly. Jungsoo ahjussi deserves to be with someone now anyway. For as long as she could remember, Jungsoo ahjussi—along with Yesung ahjussi, Kangin ahjussi and Yoochun ahjussi—have worked for her father before she was born. Working in the car shop wasn’t technically a good job but they felt attached to it that they never want to quit.

Besides, they have considered each other as a family now. It was better than having no mother.

Growing up with chaps has led her to create a barrier between her and other girls. It’s not that she actually wanted to have a female friend. Or maybe she does but she’s too shy to speak up. She doesn’t really know.

But knowing that she has her ahjussis with her makes her feel safe. Knowing they are there makes her feel like she could carry on.

“Sweetheart!”

She snapped back to reality at the sound of her father’s jaunty voice. Smiling, she dropped the water hose on the ground carefully and ran to her father. That’s what she loves the most about him: his cheerfulness. Even if Soojin was curious as to why his father’s optimism is exaggerated at times, she thought that he could be hiding his grief.

Nevertheless, he always appeared strong to Soojin.

“Yes, appa?” Soojin stood next to her father, Yunho. He was leaning against the hood of a maroon 2006 Hyundai Tiburon sports car, looking contented.

Yunho wriggled his eyebrows. “Do you want to take a test drive?” he asked, gesturing towards the car.

She gasped, eagerness shadowing her face. She’s always wanted to take test drives, especially when they get wealthy customers. Their car shop wasn’t that lavish-looking yet they still attract customers. Maybe it was because Yunho’s good reputation around the neighborhood. Her father has always been recognized for his affability.

“Really, appa?” Her eyes were sparkling at the thought of taking the test drive.

Yunho nodded, patting her shoulder. “Of course,” he answered. “But be careful of this, understand? It’s not mine or yours, if that’s what you’re thinking. It’s from a customer. He instructed us to look after this car for a few days. He’s on a business trip and he’ll be coming the week after next.”

She tilted her head to the side, studying the contours of the car. It looks very detailed and clean, too. Seems like the owner really takes care of his cars. “It’s a sports car, right?”

Yunho nodded. “Just don’t leave any scratches, okay?” he reminded her, patting the hood of the car. “This isn’t ours. And we can’t pay for it if its—”

Soojin’s face lit up. “Yes, yes, yes,” she exclaimed, jumping up and down. “I promise, Dad. I won’t leave any scratches on it. And I’ll return as fast as I could. Oh, I’m so excited! It’s been so long since you let me drive one of these cars.”

Yunho chuckled shortly. “Yeah, well, you deserve a break,” he says. “And while you’re at it”—he reached out to grab something from his bag and walked up to her with a white envelope—“can I ask you to bring this envelope to a Lǐ Jiāhéng? He’s the current president of this company called Wu Corporations. I think he goes by the name President Kris.”

She grabbed the envelope, snorting. “Lǐ Jiāhéng? That’s a strange name,” she muttered. “If people call him Kris, why would you have to put his real name? It’s bothersome. If I were—”

“And I would appreciate it if you put on your best behavior,” Yunho cut off, giving her a pointed, meaningful look. “This guy isn’t just an ordinary person, Soojin. I’ll have you know that President Kris is an important customer to us. He owns the Wu Corporations, which is technically one of the best companies here in Seoul. You know what that means.”

Soojin smirked, shaking her head. “Not really,” she says teasingly.

Yunho his head to the side, darting Soojin a look.

She laughed, shaking the envelope. “I know, I know,” she exclaimed, heading towards the driver’s seat. “I was just kidding, appa. Really, you should cast off your inhibitions sometimes. You’re too tense.”

Yunho laughed, shaking his head in disbelief. He muttered something, soft enough for Soojin to hear the words crazy kid. He tossed her the keys of the car and Soojin seized it effortlessly. When the car roared to life, Soojin shot his father last mischievous look.

She promised herself it was going to be one heck of a ride.

 


 

 

♣ rackcity —

this is the first chapter. i'm a bad author, i know.

but thanks for being patient. i promise to be good at this.

i love you, subscribers. and thanks for the support! it's my first exo/oc fic.