f o u r t e e n

A Hundred Days

 

“Congrats on breaking your previous record.” Soojin threw Chen a brief smile as she got off the car, taking the helmet off. She wasn’t in a good mood today and the only thing that could distract her from doing something reckless was doing the one she loved the most: racing. She wished she owns the car she’s usually using.

Zytek GZ09S costs like millions—or maybe, billions—if she tries to buy it from other countries. It was a good thing that she has made good friends who work in Everland Speedway. They give her free laps and free use of the sports car available for racing when there are no competitions for that day. To Soojin, she needed this. She needed the adrenaline rush.

“What’s my new record?” she asked, gasping for air.

“198.412 mph,” Chen answered. He turned around, gave instructions to one of the workers here and faced Soojin back. He urged her to sit down and unwind for a bit. He handed her a cold bottle of iced tea and drank one himself.

There was this comfortable silence between them. Not one bothered to speak up. She wasn’t in the mood anyway. She wanted to relax. She wanted to close her mind and forget about the things that upset her. She wanted to be away from home, away from him. Being with Chen and racing makes her forget about the bad things.

Chen wasn’t exactly someone special to Soojin. He was just a mere friend, a helping hand, that’s all. He was there when she started racing at the age of eleven. He was there when she discovered her love for it. He taught her everything she needed to know and he stood next to her, being there for her like a brother she never had.

And without even asking for anything, she finds herself telling him everything.

“He’s so stupid,” she blurts out in a soft tone, her eyes tracing the iced tea bottle on her hand. She felt Chen lean closer, ready to listen to what she’s going to say. “I don’t know how she got him wrapped around her finger, making him believe her instead of his own daughter. He thinks I’m a hooker because I’ve been going home late.”

“Why would he say that?” he asks.

She pursed her lips. “Because that’s what Jea made him believe,” she answered resentfully. “I got mad at him. He actually thinks I do that kind of thing. He’s with me since I was born, I was pretty sure he knows the difference of what I say and what Jea says. He’s met her, like, I don’t know, twelve years or something?”

Silence.

“Love makes people stupid,” she muttered, playing with the bottle in her hand.

She scrunched up her nose, hating the fact that she feels bereaved of her own father. She recalls those countless times wherein Yunho would rather believe what Jea is saying than her. Or those times when Yunho would defend Hyojung and, in turn, Soojin gets defended by Hyuna who seems to be the only nicest person in the family.

“And then, there’s this guy who thinks he’s brilliant,” she blurts out, scoffing when Kris’ face appeared in her mind. “Well, he is brilliant. He’s smart and handsome… he seems perfect but he’s a really bad person. He’s really, really bad. He made me angry.”

A soft chuckle came from Chen. “Yeah, he seemed to make you angry.”

She gave a small smile. “I don’t want to go home tonight.”

Chen inhaled deeply before getting to his feet. “Then let’s go to mine,” he suggested, extending a hand towards her. “My friends will keep you entertained. You remember them, right? We’re actually having a night out, which means movies and lots of food. They might get a little”—he shakes his head—“green but they’re good guys. Besides, they know you.”

Soojin laughed shortly, remembering the last time she went to his house and stayed overnight. There were five of them—Xiumin, Tao, Suho and Lay. They don’t live together but their houses are next to each other. “That would be nice.”

Few minutes later, Soojin changed back to her dress and heels. Chen led her to where he parked his motorbike and handed her the extra helmet. It was better than having no place to crash while she doesn’t feel like going home. She could picture it in her mind: her father not caring or not even bothering to ask where she is, her wicked stepmother consoling him and telling him lies and then Hyojung being happy that Soojin isn’t there.

How happy.

On the way home, Soojin was comforted by Chen’s silent and subtle affection. It was his way of cheering her up and it made her happy. He would casually take a glimpse through the side mirror, checking if she’s fine. Or he holds her hand while he’s driving with the other. It was that simple yet it made her happy.

The ahjussis have asked her one question, whether Chen was someone special in her life or just that mere shoulder-to-cry-on of a friend. One thing’s for sure, Soojin has never looked at Chen in a romantic way. He was a brother, a best friend… the one who’s going to tell her what’s right and wrong.

When they reached his house, the light on the front door was already on, which means somebody was inside. Chen shot her a knowing look, shaking his head in disbelief. After parking the motorbike on his small garage, they both headed to the house.

“Noona!” Tao was the first one to see Soojin. Running to her, he held his arms open and had this bright expression on his face. Tao is the lovable youngest member of their group. His outward appearance screams the opposite, with dark, charismatic eyes and the body of someone who’s very strict about his figure. He knows wushu, too.

It didn’t take long for the others to notice Soojin’s appearance. Even Xiumin who used to focus all his attention on the food available. After meeting her, they all seemed to change, especially after they figured out just how important Soojin is to Chen.

“Noona, did you bring something?” Tao asks, his eyes glowing.

Soojin chuckled. “Unfortunately, I—”

“She did! She did!” Xiumin cut her off, pointing at the bags Chen was holding. He didn’t even wait for her. Instead, he stole the bags from Chen and dashed to the kitchen.

Lay took a glimpse at what she’s wearing. “Soojin, you look really pretty tonight,” he complimented, giving her a genuine smile. Lay was quiet the first time she met him. She’s always thought that he was some kind of an antisocial person, one who doesn’t really like to be in the big crowds. But after hanging out with them for a long time, she realized he was just shy. And he dances so well, too.

She looked at her outfit. For a long time there, she had forgotten what happened to her. “Oh, um, yeah,” she replied, tilting her head to the side. “This is… well, er… this isn’t exactly—”

Chen chuckled. “I still have your Converse shoes,” he cut her off, shooting her an amused look. “The one you always use when you’re here. You can use it. And I have two of your shirts. I don’t even know why you leave it here but I guess I don’t mind. I probably have some few shirts you can borrow.”

She shot him a grateful look. “How can I ever thank you?”

He pecked her forehead. “Seeing you happy is enough.”

 

poor chen ;_; /s0bs forever

anyway, double update as an apology gift.

comments would be nice.

hi guys! i missed you.